Page 101 of 206 FirstFirst ... 51919899100101102103104111151201 ... LastLast
Results 1,501 to 1,515 of 3079

Thread: Chaos and the Anti-Thread

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I save things too. And in the same vein, as soon as my husband gets rid of something, I find out what it was the part to, or what I needed it for. To give him credit, he has learned and is more careful about getting rid of stuff.

I watched my mom sell stuff and then buy it back, so I learned from that experience.

My brother loves to throw things away. He 'doesn't have time'. I think it's part of the 'disposal' culture which was part of the prosperity mentality, as in "I don't need that junk."

My sister-in-law has been feeling the pain of not being stocked up on things. I imagine she'll be using the 'packrat' label a bit less now.

I just blame it on my Scottish blood. It needs to be saved because it might have a use. And sometimes it is years before that use/need becomes apparent.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th May 2020), Elen (16th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th May 2020), Wind (10th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I save things too. And in the same vein, as soon as my husband gets rid of something, I find out what it was the part to, or what I needed it for. To give him credit, he has learned and is more careful about getting rid of stuff.

I watched my mom sell stuff and then buy it back, so I learned from that experience.

My brother loves to throw things away. He 'doesn't have time'. I think it's part of the 'disposal' culture which was part of the prosperity mentality, as in "I don't need that junk."

My sister-in-law has been feeling the pain of not being stocked up on things. I imagine she'll be using the 'packrat' label a bit less now.

I just blame it on my Scottish blood. It needs to be saved because it might have a use. And sometimes it is years before that use/need becomes apparent.
    If that is due to having Scottish blood, then I must be a genuine Highlander.

You wouldn't believe some of the stuff I keep lying around, just in case it would come in handy some day ─ and it often does!
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th May 2020), Elen (16th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th May 2020), Wind (10th May 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts

Actually, that's hilarious...sell it and then buy it back..."I" would never make THAT mistake...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th May 2020), Dreamtimer (10th May 2020), Elen (16th May 2020), Wind (10th May 2020)

Thanks
    Hey Aragorn,

Last night, I watched the 1st season of a series called "Into the Night". It's an end of the world thing that is produced (I think) and set in Brussels. The 1st season takes place for the most on a plane with people who are trying to get to Moscow. It might be easily available to you...it is a 'fun' watch, but most assuredly not 'funny'

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th May 2020), Dreamtimer (10th May 2020), Elen (16th May 2020), Wind (10th May 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Hey Aragorn,

Last night, I watched the 1st season of a series called "Into the Night". It's an end of the world thing that is produced (I think) and set in Brussels. The 1st season takes place for the most on a plane with people who are trying to get to Moscow. It might be easily available to you...it is a 'fun' watch, but most assuredly not 'funny'
    That sounds intriguing. But unfortunately, I no longer have a cable TV subscription, and I don't do any of the internet-based series/movies either, unless it's absolutely free of charge and it doesn't require any registration.

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (10th May 2020), Elen (16th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th May 2020), Wind (10th May 2020)

Thanks
    It might be, you might find it looking around on the net...good luck...

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Well, Mr. Aragorn, you are a techie, so i'll give you a hint... FireTV/Firestick and Troypoint...

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    Well, Mr. Aragorn, you are a techie, so i'll give you a hint... FireTV/Firestick and Troypoint...
    I've just looked at that. All of those things cost money, and given that I have to survive off of a disabilities income, I have been cutting all non-essential expenses from my life. This is one of the reasons why I canceled my TV subscription in the first place ─ the other reasons being that I wasn't watching it anymore anyway, and that I was sick and tired of being slapped around the ears with propaganda and advertisements all of the time.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (10th May 2020), Dreamtimer (10th May 2020), Elen (16th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th May 2020), Wind (10th May 2020)

Thanks
    welll! The firestick I think is pretty reasonable and that is the only cost if that is one's choice...it's not like paying forever...I assume you have home internet...that really is the only expense and you can stream to any device you choose... I steer way clear of any propaganda unless it is 'couched' in seeming satire. A wonderful example of that is the series "The Boys"...It's fantastic in that regard, lots of food for thought anyway one slices it.

repeat warning: but this is the chaos thread after all.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Retired Member Hungary
    Thanks
    Thanked 8,908 Times in 1,858 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    I've just looked at that. All of those things cost money, and given that I have to survive off of a disabilities income, I have been cutting all non-essential expenses from my life. This is one of the reasons why I canceled my TV subscription in the first place ─ the other reasons being that I wasn't watching it anymore anyway, and that I was sick and tired of being slapped around the ears with propaganda and advertisements all of the time.
    I'm confused. Are you opposed to torrenting for ethical reasons?

Although I subscribe to Netflix, the best shows I want are only available on torrent sites. I hate movies and shows that are dubbed into Hungarian, so frankly (ha!) I don't have a choice if I want to watch them in the original and have to go illegal. However, it must be said that here in Hungary this is a grey area and not one person has ever been prosecuted for downloading torrents for their personal use.

BTW, you wouldn't believe Hungarian TV if you ever saw it, Everything and I mean EVERYTHING is dubbed into the local lingo at great expense no doubt, same as in Germany. You can't even go to the cinema to watch a movie in the original, they're all dubbed too. This also contributes to the appalling language skills on display, the last study I saw put Hungary just above England (obviously the worst) but Below Ireland in foreign language skills in Europe.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chris For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th May 2020), Dreamtimer (10th May 2020), Elen (16th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th May 2020), Wind (10th May 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chris View Post
    I'm confused. Are you opposed to torrenting for ethical reasons?
    No, but I just haven't looked into that. My interest is not that great. The only series I would have wanted to see was "Star Trek: Picard", but looking for torrents just for that series alone outrises my willingness to do so.

Although I subscribe to Netflix, the best shows I want are only available on torrent sites. I hate movies and shows that are dubbed into Hungarian, so frankly (ha!) I don't have a choice if I want to watch them in the original and have to go illegal. However, it must be said that here in Hungary this is a grey area and not one person has ever been prosecuted for downloading torrents for their personal use.
    Well, it is certainly a legally grey area here as well, and I don't need any legal issues.

BTW, you wouldn't believe Hungarian TV if you ever saw it, Everything and I mean EVERYTHING is dubbed into the local lingo at great expense no doubt, same as in Germany. You can't even go to the cinema to watch a movie in the original, they're all dubbed too. This also contributes to the appalling language skills on display, the last study I saw put Hungary just above England (obviously the worst) but Below Ireland in foreign language skills in Europe.
    The same is true for France and Luxemburg, and although I don't know about the francophone movie theaters here in Belgium, it is certainly also true for the francophone television networks here.

In the Flanders and in the Netherlands, they only overdub animated series for small children. Everything else that's in a foreign language gets subtitles.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Chris (10th May 2020), Dreamtimer (10th May 2020), Elen (16th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (10th May 2020), Wind (10th May 2020)

Thanks

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th May 2020), Dreamtimer (11th May 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Here's a good image. Maybe I should make this into a badge.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th May 2020), Elen (16th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (15th May 2020)

Thanks
    I read something that is really profound in a science fiction/fantasy book i'm reading. It's called, "Ecko Rising" written by Danie Ware. It has what women readers would call romance in it, I would call it sex and find it distracting actually.

Ecko is reliving an alien animal attack shortly after a sexual interlude and a night's sleep, and thinks about what he had learned regarding fractals, He thought, Fractals create patterns that ripple and reoccur. That got me thinking, hmmm, yeah that actually makes sense when we consider the construction of universal creation. Creation builds on small patterns of 'stuff/fractals', call it templates and continues to build complex 'things' in perpetuity.

This is an amazing observation and might even explain 'synchronicity'. As we flow through existence, we are creating fractals of behavior that will inevitably repeat and when the pattern ripples back to us we experience a synchronous event. Of Course!!

You see, this is why when I was a teenager and my stepmother would ask me what my plans for the future were, I would tell her I wanted to be a philosopher so I could lie on the couch all day and philosophize. It would always send her screaming in horror to my dad, but that wasn't the only reason I said it, I really wanted to do that, the laying on the couch all day part of it, anyway.

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th May 2020), Dreamtimer (16th May 2020), Elen (16th May 2020)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts

It must be Scottish (or Norwegian)...I live in that reality too! I'm a constant "fixer" of things...

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th May 2020), Dreamtimer (16th May 2020), Emil El Zapato (16th May 2020), Wind (16th May 2020)