Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Active Self Protection

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts

Active Self Protection

Warning, there is visual footage of gunfire and some blood in this video. The sound is the narrator discussing the incident in terms of self-defense. Of course, it's important to know your local laws in that regard.

With this latest mass shooting here in the U.S., here comes the ever so predictable volley of anti gun sentiment. So I figured this might be a good time to start a thread on not only how bad guys use guns, but good guys as well. I've had a license to carry a gun since 2003, and the reason I do is if I'm ever confronted with bad guy with gun, I want good guy with a gun there to potentially stop him. Waiting around for the police is for the birds IMO, people die waiting for the police.

I've been watching this guy's videos for about a year now, and he does an excellent job at showing every sort of violent encounter, and teaching what went wrong and what went right between good guy/bad guy. It's not always about the gun either, the main thing is staying cool and being aware. I'll probably post like one per week, the one I think is the best. Here's the first one:

Last edited by Dreamtimer, 3rd October 2017 at 13:00. Reason: alert readers of video content
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

2. The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017), enjoy being (3rd October 2017), GCS1103 (3rd October 2017), JRS (6th October 2017), Lemual (29th October 2017), modwiz (3rd October 2017), Paloma (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017), TimeSensitive (3rd October 2017), Wind (3rd October 2017), Woody (3rd October 2017)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I'm fine with smart, experienced, trained people being armed for self-protection. In a sudden, life-or-death circumstance even trained people make deadly mistakes. I'm not fond of the idea of a bunch of cross-fire from a bunch of armed people who are (potentially) freaking out.

I look forward to watching these, Fred.

4. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Elen (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017), enjoy being (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), GCS1103 (3rd October 2017), modwiz (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017), Wind (3rd October 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Gee see that sort of thing is totally not like my neighbourhood, we only have about 7 people a year killed with a gun here.
    Interesting. Wow Im soft, seeing the blood in that video made me shake.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), modwiz (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts

Thumbs Down

What is that theory about the 'attractor' thing. I live in a metropolitan area and never lock my doors and, in fact, I most often leave my back door open and get a number of unwanted guests as a result. Lizards, neighborhood bully cats, dead squirrels, and even a family of possums...I'm shuddering as I write. I have been burglarized a couple of times, by friends and acquaintances. The last time, my car was broken into and the perpetrators tried to smoke my car. The only reason it didn't burn was because of the fire protection sealant that it was coated with.

I can't disagree with the 'feeling' that we need guns, but I don't own one, partially because part of me 'feels' that if I had one, I might kill someone. Like some a**wipe that cuts me off in traffic and then flips me off as if it was my fault... not really really, but one never knows.

As a proud father of a teenage girl, one can imagine why the need for a gun might 'feel' compelling. I don't know, I just don't think we really need them. And the inevitable gun talk after such events is badly needed.

What I do find offensive though, is the just as inevitable propaganda that surfaces everytime a liberal politician is elected. "Oh, Lord, please let me keep my guns so I can get those colored folks before they get me." In the immediate aftermath, all the conservative grandmas start a stampede to the gun shop and firearm certification centers. A good friend of mine's mother did this very thing. She was in the middle of divorce proceedings after 42 years of marriage and I really believe she wanted to kill her husband.

Safety yes, propaganda no.

And I don't need to so no blood...
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 3rd October 2017 at 14:23.

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), enjoy being (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), heyokah (4th October 2017), modwiz (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    @DreamTimer: Let me tell you, being in a crossfire situation is one of the last places I'd like to be. Having watched through so many examples of that, I've gotten a pretty good idea of where the line is between whether I draw and shoot, and when to stand fast.

If I'm the clerk in this situation I likely don't take that shot, and hope to buy time for something more clear for the counter ambush.

@ Nothing: Some of these videos are pretty hard core. Just this morning I saw a cop get shot in the head point blank, after committing the crucial error of drawing on a drawn gun. It looked like he was dead before he hit the ground.

Overall there's not much violence where I live either, in a small rural town of only about 1,800 people. There was however a home invasion recently no more than about a 20 minute walk through the woods, across the neighbor's property. Man knocks on door of elderly couple in broad daylight, crushes the husband's frail jaw with a succor punch upon opening the door, then beats the wife to the ground before loading up the loot.

That's a situation I would shoot without hesitation.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

10. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), enjoy being (3rd October 2017), GCS1103 (3rd October 2017), heyokah (4th October 2017), modwiz (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    I will add, that people that are brave enough to own or work in a convenience store need to have guns. My brother when in high school worked nights at a local grocery store and was the victim of an armed robbery. He's about as conservative as they come. He doesn't own a gun!? My older brother who has a background in law enforcement in recent years has owned machine guns for decades.

12. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), enjoy being (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), GCS1103 (3rd October 2017), modwiz (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    New Zealand has become a little more dangerous since the government decided to force the nation to give up cigarettes by raising the price in regular increments. They are now up to something like $26nzd for a pack of 20. That SEEMS to be the excuse for an increase in armed hold ups of, as we call them here, Dairys. I guess convenience stores would be a comparative name.
    A few years ago a pair of 13 year old youths stabbed a dairy attendant/owner in a botched hold up in which the victim later died. That was local to me so I guess I am missing out bits of the picture of New Zealand.

We don't even have any predators here, no poisonous or dangerous critters. The idea of people rocking around freely with handguns just "blows me away". We have high gun ownership but the laws don't permit anyone to really own a handgun. You have to be a member of a gun club/ range and the gun must be kept at the premises of the gun club, you are not allowed to have a handgun in your possession outside of that. Crazy huh?

One lax thing though is that our national online buy and sell site allows guns to be sold and although they stipulate that the seller must sight the buyers license and do the proper thing, it is just left up to private sellers to carry that through.. needless to say NZ is one of the only countries where you can indeed successfully go and buy a gun online and not have to have shown any ID. The law here is the gun user is licensed not the gun, so there is absolutely no record in that way really, of any of the guns here, and guns sold online like that can basically disappear and never be known to have ever existed.
    Spooky huh.
    Last edited by enjoy being, 3rd October 2017 at 15:45.

14. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), modwiz (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    We used to leave our back door open all the time. We stopped that after a few years. The usual stranger that shows up at the door is a Jehova's Witness. There's a church not far away. A few years back one of the boys at my son's high school warned that there was a local gang of teenagers running around. That was a real head scratcher. They did some break-ins and/or theft but I think they got caught.

Once an asian couple was collecting acorns at the end of my driveway. And once someone was stealing wood from a tree that just got chopped and I had to tell him to leave. I think he did only because I had a dog. He was a thief and a liar. He told me he had permission which was BS.

My sister-in-law's original reason for getting one was keeping the children safe. They're grown now. She's only just getting lessons now in how to shoot. One of the first lessons was where to put her thumb so the gun didn't take it off while firing.

Logically, the only reason you need a gun is because the enemy will have one. So then you need more, and bigger, and more ammo, and...ad infinitum. It's like money, there's never enough.

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    if you're gonna have one, make it a good one. I think I would prefer a sniper's rifle or an ar-15 (go American). I have a couple of Thompson's, Uzi, a number of hunting rifles, hunting bows, matching set of pearl handled revolvers, a saturday night special or two, Military 45s, and some shotguns in the family, not to mention the homemade explosives...I feel pretty safe.

As my prepper nephews like to say, "We're coming in hot!"

NAP
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 3rd October 2017 at 17:41.

18. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), modwiz (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts
    Self-protection is not just against a fellow 'citizen', but also our own government...

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." Amendment 2

Every Member of Congress and commissioned officer (civilian and military) in federal service as well as every enlisted service member takes an oath that requires they promise to "support and defend the Constitution of the United States against all enemies, foreign and domestic …"

...perhaps that is why they are trying so hard to take guns away from the people.

Does anyone actually believe we have representation in CONgress? Agencies that give the illusion of protecting us, do no such thing...think FDA, EPA, etc.

We are being systematically poisoned through the foods we eat, the water we drink and the very air we breathe, despite the agencies who are supposed to protect us. Our properties can be taken from us, and we are supposed to be protected from illegal search and seizure. The populace is experimented on without their knowledge; subjected to mandated vaccines that cause autism, severe disability and even death; deliberate 'dumbing down' through common core...must I go on?

Our own government is at war with us, and most people aren't even aware of it.

Still wondering why they want to take away our right to bear arms before the populace wakes up to what they are doing to us?

I expect these false flags to continue until they get what they want. It doesn't matter how many people they kill. Their control depends on a compliant citizenry...and so continues 'fear, fear, fear' and demands to keep us 'safe" and more fluoride added to the water.

"It's easier to kill a million people than control a million people." Zbigniew Brzezinski

20. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), modwiz (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,305 Times in 7,220 Posts
    Americans sure love their guns and the 2nd amenment.

Here in Finland we have lots of guns too, but mostly they are used in the countryside. Hunters, gun enthusiasts and collectors have them. There are of course pretty strict laws and it's not easy to get some guns, I'd say hunting rifles and shotguns are the most popular weapons. I think that to most city folks firearms are quite foreign things, but of course most men are drafted to army in their youth so they know the basics about rifles anyways. I respect guns for their power and appreciate their beauty, but I don't like their original purpose... Which is to kill or to incapacitate. Here it's of course not legal to openly carry weapons and I'm happy about that, if I knew that people around me would have guns I wouldn't feel safer. In most cases you will get charged too if you defend yourself with firearm and there is proof about excessive use of force, and using bullets tends to be so according to our laws.

I wouldn't carry a gun on me either even if I could and owned one. From observing statistics it seems that here aren't that many gun violence related deaths and mostly they tend to be suicides. In the US the gun violence related statistics are horrible though.

When it comes to the Vegas shooting, I think it's almost impossible to defend yourself in situations like that. Those people had no chance.

22. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), heyokah (4th October 2017), modwiz (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    No chance, it's a very base motivation underlying it all. We can all succumb to it but we shouldn't.

Hi Melidae,

The government has tanks, smart bombs, fighter aircraft, berzerkers, chemical weapons, advanced surveillance, etc. Haven't you ever seen 'BlackHawk Down'. They're not worried about the citizenry beyond them killing each other. It's not good for the economy!

24. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), Melidae (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts
    We have more power than you think.

“And how we burned in the camps later, thinking: What would things have been like if every Security operative, when he went out at night to make an arrest, had been uncertain whether he would return alive and had to say good-bye to his family? Or if, during periods of mass arrests, as for example in Leningrad, when they arrested a quarter of the entire city, people had not simply sat there in their lairs, paling with terror at every bang of the downstairs door and at every step on the staircase, but had understood they had nothing left to lose and had boldly set up in the downstairs hall an ambush of half a dozen people with axes, hammers, pokers, or whatever else was at hand?... The Organs would very quickly have suffered a shortage of officers and transport and, notwithstanding all of Stalin's thirst, the cursed machine would have ground to a halt! If...if...We didn't love freedom enough. And even more – we had no awareness of the real situation.... We purely and simply deserved everything that happened afterward.”
    ― Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago 1918-1956

The economy is coming down...by their hand. They have 'milked' the dollar as much as they possibly can, and it is bound to be replaced.

I may sound all 'doom and gloom', but I'm not. I like to see reality, whether intentional or unintentional, and decide what I can do. I can silently protect myself and others from this silent war...grow a garden...eat organically...stay away from the medical industry and big pharma...get back to nature...form strong community bonds, etc.

Technology has it's place, but it has the ability to take us away from that which nourishes us...the earth, nature, spirituality, and each other.

26. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), heyokah (4th October 2017), modwiz (3rd October 2017), Paloma (3rd October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017), Wind (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    This sorta reminds me of a story:

We haven't Black Widow spiders in any of the houses where we live. They are a real threat here. I take care of and protect all spiders, even the poisonous ones as both the GF (she hates them but will not kill them or use poisons) and we both think all life is precious and nature should have its way. If a spider comes into the house, I trap it and release it outside.

Our gardener noticed the lack of Black Widows and said, "if you take care of the community of spiders, they will take care of you."

I get it now...

28. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), Melidae (4th October 2017), modwiz (4th October 2017), sandy (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Melidae View Post
    [...] The populace is experimented on without their knowledge; subjected to mandated vaccines that cause autism, severe disability and even death; deliberate 'dumbing down' through common core...must I go on? [...]
    Um, I just want to respond to that part, and I know it's getting worn by now, but people keep on making that same mistake, and so I have to set the record straight each and every time.

Vaccines do not cause autism. Autism is a genetically originated neurological difference which can manifest in a number of different ways — e.g. autism proper, OCD, ADHD, dyslexia, synesthesia, et al — many of which often coincide within the same person. Vaccine injury on the other hand is a form of inflammation which can and often does lead to brain damage, and which is caused by neurotoxic chemicals used as conservation agents, such as Thiomersal.

Being autistic myself, and having had an education in the paramedical field, I have already elaborated on the difference between both phenomena in many different threads all across the forum, but the most recent discussion starts in this post here — it's a members-only thread, and you may have to skip a number of off-topic posts on it to get the full explanation, but I do strongly encourage you to read it, as it will clarify a lot of things.

Anyway, that said...
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

30. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (4th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (4th October 2017), Melidae (4th October 2017), modwiz (4th October 2017), TimeSensitive (4th October 2017)