Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345

Thread: Active Self Protection

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    From the "WTF was that!" department. Always pays to try and maintain situational awareness, whether cop or not so much, because you just. never. know:
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

2. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th July 2022), Aragorn (16th June 2022), Wind (16th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    From the "WTF was that!" department. Always pays to try and maintain situational awareness, whether cop or not so much, because you just. never. know:
    Crazy mofo, I worked with a guy, white hair beard, you know, the usual, that carried a sword in his car 'for protection'. Of course, he had a car cam to record his daily commute. Apparently, he got into a road rage deal. Pulled out his sword (I can't remember if the other guy had a gun or not) police were called and everyone was sent home. Later the guy got fired for aggressive behavior at work (I took over his position) and me and my manager were given a few days off from work for personal safety. Security was instructed to patrol the grounds to keep a watch for him. He also returned some equipment in a brown paper wrapped box made to look like a bomb. My upper level manager actually opened it without any security alerted. I told him he's either a brave sob or crazy. I'd have to say that's the worst I've seen in a work situation and I've seen plenty.

My daughter is working as a paramedic and gets to wear a body cam. She's happy about it. She did tell me that paramedics are not allowed into an 'uncleared' area to do their work. She said the logic is that emergency medicine cannot work effectively if they are in an 'active' scene. I was relieved to hear that.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th July 2022), Aragorn (16th June 2022), Fred Steeves (16th June 2022), Wind (16th June 2022)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    Crazy mofo, I worked with a guy, white hair beard, you know, the usual, that carried a sword in his car 'for protection'. Of course, he had a car cam to record his daily commute. Apparently, he got into a road rage deal. Pulled out his sword (I can't remember if the other guy had a gun or not) police were called and everyone was sent home. Later the guy got fired for aggressive behavior at work (I took over his position) and me and my manager were given a few days off from work for personal safety. Security was instructed to patrol the grounds to keep a watch for him. He also returned some equipment in a brown paper wrapped box made to look like a bomb. My upper level manager actually opened it without any security alerted. I told him he's either a brave sob or crazy. I'd have to say that's the worst I've seen in a work situation and I've seen plenty.
    There's some crazy sons of bitches out there. That was a good idea to give you and your boss a few days off of work to let the guy maybe chill out just a bit, but I think I'd still be keeping my head on a swivel for some time after that. You probably did!

Not trying to reignite the great debate, but these are the kinds of freak encounters people have in mind when they make that decision to start carrying a gun. Just in case...

Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    My daughter is working as a paramedic and gets to wear a body cam. She's happy about it. She did tell me that paramedics are not allowed into an 'uncleared' area to do their work. She said the logic is that emergency medicine cannot work effectively if they are in an 'active' scene. I was relieved to hear that.
    That makes sense. You know that actually gets me to thinking though. Medics in the military are trained to do their job on a battlefield and under fire, and surely there are that certain kind of ballsy people who would take the challenge of taking the training to be a paramedic that is allowed to do their job even at an active scene, I'm actually kind of surprised that there hasn't been any ideas put forth to have medics who wear two hats like that.

Cops are only trained on the bear basics so far as I know, like applying tourniquets; but like in an active shooter situation let's say where people are bleeding out, or have sucking chest wounds, a couple of bad ass paramedics strapping side arms could mean the difference of life and death. The cops could continue on with their job, while there's already medical personnel on the scene as well.

Socrates

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th July 2022), Aragorn (16th June 2022), Emil El Zapato (16th June 2022), Wind (16th June 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    There's some crazy sons of bitches out there. That was a good idea to give you and your boss a few days off of work to let the guy maybe chill out just a bit, but I think I'd still be keeping my head on a swivel for some time after that. You probably did!

Not trying to reignite the great debate, but these are the kinds of freak encounters people have in mind when they make that decision to start carrying a gun. Just in case...

That makes sense. You know that actually gets me to thinking though. Medics in the military are trained to do their job on a battlefield and under fire, and surely there are that certain kind of ballsy people who would take the challenge of taking the training to be a paramedic that is allowed to do their job even at an active scene, I'm actually kind of surprised that there hasn't been any ideas put forth to have medics who wear two hats like that.

Cops are only trained on the bear basics so far as I know, like applying tourniquets; but like in an active shooter situation let's say where people are bleeding out, or have sucking chest wounds, a couple of bad ass paramedics strapping side arms could mean the difference of life and death. The cops could continue on with their job, while there's already medical personnel on the scene as well.
    yeah, my daughter says that is the role of the Fire department, at least, in the normal course of events. There are always at least a few Fire department personnel that are trained as 'basic EMTs', but that makes me wonder if SWAT teams have dedicated emergency medical units just for those 'battlefield' contingencies.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th July 2022), Aragorn (16th June 2022), Fred Steeves (16th June 2022)

Thanks
    Chalk one up for the good guys

Socrates

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th July 2022), Aragorn (26th July 2022)

Thanks
    Fair warning:

This episode of "Active Self Protection" gave me a bit of a gut punch. I've never seen 1st degree murder of this order before, only in the movies. Once seen, it's something you can't unsee. However, it's an important reminder of what some people out there are capable of, possibly even a neighbor.

Socrates

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th August 2023), Aragorn (9th August 2023), Wind (9th August 2023)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,445 Times in 1,680 Posts
    Faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarkin
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th August 2023), Aragorn (10th August 2023), Fred Steeves (21st August 2023), Wind (9th August 2023)