Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Active Self Protection

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Anyway I am not sure what the laws are elsewhere, but here if someone breaks into your house you better make sure you attack them with the right weapon or else you will be going to jail. You can't have a baseball bat near the door as it is a premeditated weapon and there is a chance a court will find against you for assault. Definitely if you have an actual weapon, home made or a gun, you will likely stand charges for using it on a home invader.
    You are better off with something which is unassumingly domestic. One that gets mentions often is a good old handsaw. The handle is a good grip hard to let go of, and the teeth will be doing some nice damage.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (5th October 2017), Aragorn (5th October 2017), Dreamtimer (5th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2017), sandy (5th October 2017)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    The kitchen obviously has lots of weapons. A heavy flashlight will work. I have a stand with canes and umbrellas by the front door. The canes would work well. I found a piece of rebar in the woods and it's in my car. I don't know if I'd get in trouble for that but it's unlikely my car will be searched for any reason. I also have a set of throwing knives in the car. They're in a case which I could club someone with.

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (5th October 2017), Aragorn (5th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (12th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2017), enjoy being (5th October 2017), sandy (5th October 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Wow Dreamtimer, hmm.

Another technique for out and about in the car that I used to use a bit. Was to find yourself some completely outrageous socks. I had some black and white hoopy ones which seemed pretty likely to me. The aim is that they act as a diffuser should there be any trouble. When you get out of the car with these ridiculous socks on, the potential attacker is very likely to take pity on you or at least be distracted, perhaps even burst into hysterics. Of course if you are going into a very dangerous neighbourhood, I would suggest maybe some sort of clownpants would be of great benefit.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (5th October 2017), Aragorn (5th October 2017), Dreamtimer (5th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2017), sandy (5th October 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 1,137 Posts
    hahahahaha Nothing...I thought you were going to say ut a bar of hard soap like ivory/dove etc in each sock as they will smell up the car and make an excellent billy club at the same time....when I worked at a Penitentiary the inmates used this tactic for a weapon quite often, especially in self defense.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (5th October 2017), Aragorn (5th October 2017), Dreamtimer (12th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2017), enjoy being (5th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    Anyway I am not sure what the laws are elsewhere, but here if someone breaks into your house you better make sure you attack them with the right weapon or else you will be going to jail. You can't have a baseball bat near the door as it is a premeditated weapon and there is a chance a court will find against you for assault. Definitely if you have an actual weapon, home made or a gun, you will likely stand charges for using it on a home invader.
    You know, laws like that have never made a lick sense to me. Some stranger has broken into your house, to do who knows what, and the law is going to do it's best to hobble the home owner in defending their castle?

For all the faults of my own country, I think they've got this one pretty good. The home is literally considered one's castle, and their last place of refuge, if someone breaks in you can do whatever it takes to stop that threat. Now if they make it back out the front door the rules flip, if you chase them out and do bodily harm then *you* are going to prison. The golden rule across the board is "never chase a fleeing felon", it's up to the police at that point.

Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    The kitchen obviously has lots of weapons. A heavy flashlight will work. I have a stand with canes and umbrellas by the front door. The canes would work well. I found a piece of rebar in the woods and it's in my car. I don't know if I'd get in trouble for that but it's unlikely my car will be searched for any reason. I also have a set of throwing knives in the car. They're in a case which I could club someone with.
    I like that attitude!

But what if you're on your way back to your car, at night, in a parking lot or something? I would definitely consider a handy little can of pepper spray for the purse.

Speaking of attitude, these three armed burglars got more than they bargained for from this home owner. If you break into a house here in the States this is what you might expect, although thieves of this caliber are usually not the sharpest tack in the box...

Last edited by Fred Steeves, 5th October 2017 at 09:50.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2017), Dreamtimer (5th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2017), enjoy being (5th October 2017), sandy (12th October 2017)

Thanks
    Yeah, the pepper spray is very good. I don't actually have one at the moment. My sister-in-law has one that's on her key chain. She told me they expire, I'm not sure why that would be. I haven't researched it. But she got herself out of a very dangerous situation when she was just 21 using her wit and words. The brain is always a great tool, provided you keep it sharp.

Wow. She came out and wasn't messing around. I was a little amused when the guy came out, he missed the action. Must've been her gun.

12. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2017), sandy (12th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    Wow Dreamtimer, hmm.

Another technique for out and about in the car that I used to use a bit. Was to find yourself some completely outrageous socks. I had some black and white hoopy ones which seemed pretty likely to me. The aim is that they act as a diffuser should there be any trouble. When you get out of the car with these ridiculous socks on, the potential attacker is very likely to take pity on you or at least be distracted, perhaps even burst into hysterics. Of course if you are going into a very dangerous neighbourhood, I would suggest maybe some sort of clownpants would be of great benefit.
    I use to have a stuffed monkey in my car...anybody give me trouble I would just wave it out the window. I got more than a few laughs but one has to be careful with a weapon like that.

NAP

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2017), Dreamtimer (5th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), sandy (12th October 2017)

Thanks
    Yeah, the pepper spray is very good. I don't actually have one at the moment. My sister-in-law has one that's on her key chain. She told me they expire, I'm not sure why that would be. I haven't researched it. But she got herself out of a very dangerous situation when she was just 21 using her wit and words. The brain is always a great tool, provided you keep it sharp.

Wow. She came out and wasn't messing around. I was a little amused when the guy came out, he missed the action. Must've been her gun.
    I'll go you one better on the tools of "wit and words" Dreamtimer, that they are *the* # 1 weapon we have at our disposal. A lot of trouble can be avoided by simply maintaining situational awareness at all times, and even when trouble is unavoidable, wit and words can save the day. Thanks for sharing that example.

No, that woman was not messing around was she? The guy at the end amused amused me as well, especially when taking the empty gun out of her hand like he's in charge of the situation now. Like yeah right, she just cleared the house of three armed intruders, one of them is laying dead in the driveway, and you just now crawled your happy ass out of bed LOL!
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 5th October 2017 at 14:42.

Socrates

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2017), Dreamtimer (5th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2017), sandy (12th October 2017)

Thanks
    I have a spurtle which is an accoutrement for when I go to the Renn Fest. My friend said to me, "They let you come in wearing a club?" It's 'peace tied', so to speak. It's a kitchen implement designed to stir thick foods, such as oatmeal.

Mine is fatter at the top and tapers to a blunt tip. Some are straight like a dowel.

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (5th October 2017), sandy (12th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    I'll go you one better on the tools of "wit and words" Dreamtimer, that they are *the* # 1 weapon we have at our disposal. A lot of trouble can be avoided by simply maintaining situational awareness at all times, and even when trouble is unavoidable, wit and words can save the day. Thanks for sharing that example.

No, that woman was not messing around was she? The guy at the end amused amused me as well, especially when taking the empty gun out of her hand like he's in charge of the situation now. Like yeah right, she just cleared the house of three armed intruders, one of them is laying dead in the driveway, and you just now crawled your happy ass out of bed LOL!
    Amen to that one, I would have been underneath the bed and would have taken a whole lot of sh*t later. Some women are just cray cray!

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (5th October 2017), Dreamtimer (5th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), sandy (12th October 2017)

Thanks
    Carjacking Do's & Dont's:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tCsaykKJfSU

Run 'em over if you have too, do what ya gotta do...
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 12th October 2017 at 10:45.

Socrates

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th October 2017), Dreamtimer (13th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (12th October 2017), sandy (12th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Iā€™m picturing Dreamy the Ninja, tossing knives while holding one in her gold teeth. You perhaps dress in black as well?

...btw, I like throwing stars. No need to think about it.
    Last edited by Dumpster Diver, 12th October 2017 at 17:50.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th October 2017), Dreamtimer (13th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (12th October 2017), sandy (12th October 2017)

Thanks
    I've finally been sticking the knives in the targets. Huzzah! I've always been pretty good at sticking the stars.

The knife throwing has generally improved my precision in aiming whether it's darts, or balls or knives. I almost stuck the little circle with the dart. But just ended up with a grouping.

So I suppose I could clock someone with a rock or other projectile.

That car jacking is scary. I'd have had my doors locked and would have backed up. I wonder if she knew them, or one of them. That's often how it goes.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (13th October 2017), sandy (13th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    This guy is from Tennessee ā€” well, originally from Kentucky, but he lives in Tennessee now. Maybe Fred knows him, because he often travels in order to meet up with other YouTubers, and especially those who have a firearms-related channel of their own. He's a former teacher and security guard, and he strongly advocates gun safety.

His channel is sponsored by several arms-related organizations, as well as by a gun shop and an ammunition manufacturer. His son does the camerawork, but on occasion they switch places. He's got a good, albeit dry sense of humor, and he's very knowledgeable about historic firearms, which are his favorite.

He usually ends his regular review videos with the line "Life is good", and his very short ā€” about 1 minute ā€” FAQ videos with "That's all I've got to say about that."

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (13th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), Elen (13th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (13th October 2017), sandy (14th October 2017), Wind (13th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,303 Times in 7,219 Posts
    I have followed Hickock45 for years on Youtube, he really seems like a great down to earth guy equipped with a good sense of humor. In the comments some people have called him "gun grandpa" which made me laugh. He used to be a teacher, I think. Not sure if he is retired now. Now that is truly a responsible gun owner & enthusiast if I've ever seen one. His videos are hoot to watch.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th October 2017), Dreamtimer (13th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (15th October 2017), Elen (13th October 2017), sandy (14th October 2017)