Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Marty Leeds: We Need to Talk About Flat Earth

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,535 Times in 1,305 Posts

Marty Leeds: We Need to Talk About Flat Earth

Marty Leeds is a serious individual who has been willing to talk about questions raised in the flat earth movement. To do so does not mean that a person believes the earth is flat. It means that there are good, scientific questions in the movement that need addressing. In my opinion, the flat earth movement will eventually lead to needed modifications in the existing model and "established science."

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xJKmKj3Vtk

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Dreamtimer (2nd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Elen (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (2nd October 2017), enjoy being (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    that's really funny...

Seems reasonable but here's my thought. And bear in mind that I'm making this up as i go...

Curvature is a function of triangulation. So the higher one goes the greater the line of sight but the viewpoint is lacking triangulation. If Marty Leeds was fifty miles up in the air and his eyes were sixty miles apart I suspect he would recognize curvature. Just as astronuts on the ISS would need eye separation of 25,000 miles to appreciate 3-dimensional curvature. He seems like a very smart guy, I think he's yanking our chain.

NAP

4. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Aragorn (2nd October 2017), Dreamtimer (2nd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Elen (3rd October 2017), enjoy being (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    . . . I think he's yanking our chain.
    I doubt that, judging by his other work.

Michael Tellinger has also spoken about flat earth. He had to stop, however, due to the ridicule he was subjected to.

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Dreamtimer (2nd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Elen (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (2nd October 2017)

Thanks
    Have fun with this one, It may or may not apply:

Curvature Approximation For Triangulated Surfaces

Abstract
    Given a set of points and normals on a surface and a triangulation associated with them a simple scheme for approximating the principal curvatures at these points is developed. The approximation is based on the fact that a surface can locally be represented as the graph of a bivariate function. Quadratic polynomials are used for this local approximation. The principal curvatures at a point on the graph of such a quadratic polynomial is used as the approximation of the principal curvatures at an original surface point.

1. Introduction:

Methods for exactly calculating and approximating curvatures are important in geometric modeling for two reasons. In order to judge the quality of a surface one commonly computes curvatures for points on the surface, renders the surface's curvature as a texture map onto the surface and can thereby detect regions with undesired curvature behavior, such as surface regions locally changing from an elliptic to a hyperbolic shape. On the other hand, surface schemes are being developed requiring higher order geometric information as input, e.g., normal vectors and normal curvatures.

Definitions and theorems from classical differential geometry are reviewed as far as they are needed for the discussion. In classical differential geometry a surface is understood as a mapping from R2 to R3, x(u) = (x(u, v), y(u, v), z(u, v))T. (1)

The standard formulae are then used to derive techniques for approximating normal curvatures when a two-dimensional triangulation of a finite point set with associated outward unit normal vectors is given in three-dimensional space. Consequently, curvature estimates can be incorporated into existing surface generating schemes allowing curvature input. The quality of the curvature approximation is tested for triangulated surfaces obtained from a known parametric surface of the form x(u) = (u, v,f(u, v)T.
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 2nd October 2017 at 18:37.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Aragorn (2nd October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Elen (3rd October 2017), sandy (3rd October 2017), WantDisclosure (2nd October 2017)

Thanks
    Curvature Approximation For Triangulated Surfaces

Abstract
    Given a set of points and normals on a surface and a triangulation associated with them a simple scheme for approximating the principal curvatures at these points is developed. The approximation is based on the fact that a surface can locally be represented as the graph of a bivariate function. Quadratic polynomials are used for this local approximation. The principal curvatures at a point on the graph of such a quadratic polynomial is used as the approximation of the principal curvatures at an original surface point.

1. Introduction:

Methods for exactly calculating and approximating curvatures are important in geometric modeling for two reasons. In order to judge the quality of a surface one commonly computes curvatures for points on the surface, renders the surface's curvature as a texture map onto the surface and can thereby detect regions with undesired curvature behavior, such as surface regions locally changing from an elliptic to a hyperbolic shape. On the other hand, surface schemes are being developed requiring higher order geometric information as input, e.g., normal vectors and normal curvatures.

Definitions and theorems from classical differential geometry are reviewed as far as they are needed for the discussion. In classical differential geometry a surface is understood as a mapping from R2 to R3, x(u) = (x(u, v), y(u, v), z(u, v))T. (1)

The standard formulae are then used to derive techniques for approximating normal curvatures when a two-dimensional triangulation of a finite point set with associated outward unit normal vectors is given in three-dimensional space. Consequently, curvature estimates can be incorporated into existing surface generating schemes allowing curvature input. The quality of the curvature approximation is tested for triangulated surfaces obtained from a known parametric surface of the form x(u) = (u, v,f(u, v)T.
    Are you the author?

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Elen (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (2nd October 2017), sandy (3rd October 2017)

Thanks
    oh, he** no. If I was that smart, I would be a mathematician and I hate mathematicians...they s*ck!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Aragorn (2nd October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Elen (3rd October 2017), sandy (3rd October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    oh, he** no. If I was that smart, I would be a mathematician and I hate mathematicians...they s*ck!
    You hate Dumpster Diver?
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Elen (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (2nd October 2017), sandy (3rd October 2017)

Thanks
    Dumpster Diver is a mathematician...omigod! That explains a lot.

No, I don't hate him but give it some time...

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Aragorn (2nd October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Elen (3rd October 2017), sandy (3rd October 2017)

Thanks
    oh, he** no.
    Is your source a paper by B. Hamann of Mississippi State University?

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Dreamtimer (3rd October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017)

Thanks
    yes, that's it, Keep Trying

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), WantDisclosure (3rd October 2017)

Thanks
    yes, that's it, Keep Trying
    Did you randomly pick it, or does it have some significance for you?

22. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017)

Thanks
    it seemed to delve further into the topic and it was the 'best' source I could find. Do you have a connection?

NAP

24. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017)

Thanks
    Do you have a connection?
    No.

I'm just a very curious person who tries to understand things I really don't have the aptitude for.

I survive by asking questions repeatedly of those who seem to have that aptitude.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017)

Thanks
    I understand,

Between you and I, what is discussed in that 'white paper' is pretty hi-falutin'. That's why I suggested it may or may not apply. It doesn't directly address, in so many words, what Leeds was alluding.

NAP

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Dumpster Diver (3rd October 2017), WantDisclosure (3rd October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Dumpster Diver is a mathematician...omigod! That explains a lot.

No, I don't hate him but give it some time...
    Dude. Ever heard of Sacred Geometry? It's MATH!

deal wit it.

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017)