Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Marty Leeds: We Need to Talk About Flat Earth

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by KeepTrying View Post
    I doubt that, judging by his other work.

Michael Tellinger has also spoken about flat earth. He had to stop, however, due to the ridicule he was subjected to.
    Tellinger should be smarter than this, he is just not thinking about the problem.

As I've said before, you can personally observe the curvature of the Earth by going to the seashore and watching ships as they "drop down into the sea" while venturing further out. Get a telescope or binoculars and see for yourself. This one fact kills off Flat Earth.

Another: Go to a high peak near a flat area (like Pike's Peak in CO) on a very clear day. If you had a flat earth, you could see for hundreds if not a thousand miles if the air is clear.

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Aragorn (3rd October 2017), Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (3rd October 2017), enjoy being (4th October 2017), Fred Steeves (3rd October 2017), Mahakasyapa (3rd October 2017), modwiz (4th October 2017), Wind (4th October 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    I missed all the recent-ish diatribe on flat earth rebirth. I am not sure what went down and haven't tried to find out.
    Another little tar baby to get stuck on, as far as I can see, from the blatant monstrosity it is. I mean come on, flat earth.

But this surely was seen as preposterous back when the first flat earth 'movement' arose. It is to me, all quite obviously chinese whispery bullsh1t at best, and the notion of its return puts it into the realms of parody.

Even using the term, re-purposing it perhaps, is still not going to help the cause. The words Flat Earth are already heavily associated and triggerable words, why attempt to use them and be upset about the "irrational" responses?

Which is why it is a tarbaby for people to punch at and get stuck on. If not on purpose, then those doing it gotta be very very unaware. Which may well then fit in with having a genuine belief in the world being one huge phonebook.
    Last edited by enjoy being, 4th October 2017 at 00:18.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th October 2017), Aragorn (4th October 2017), Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (4th October 2017), modwiz (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Nothing View Post
    It is to me, all quite obviously chinese whispery bullsh1t at best, and the notion of its return puts it into the realms of parody.
    The Flat Earth meme originates from — and is still based upon — Christian fundamentalist beliefs. If you get into a debate with a Flat-Earther, then inevitably it'll come down to the literal word of the Book of Genesis, no matter how the discussion evolves, because that's the only argumentation their belief is based upon. All of their other argumentation is circumstantial and based upon misinterpretations and paranoia.

They can skirt around those arguments for a while to keep you busy, but then in the end, after you've debunked those arguments, then it's always the literal word of the Bible that it's eventually going to come down to.

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (4th October 2017), enjoy being (4th October 2017), modwiz (4th October 2017), Wind (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 9,445 Times in 1,680 Posts
    I love flat earth believers.
    But only when we're on the range live firing and I have a .50 cal and they are about 2,000m away..................
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

8. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (4th October 2017), Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,535 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    The Flat Earth meme originates from — and is still based upon — Christian fundamentalist beliefs. If you get into a debate with a Flat-Earther, then inevitably it'll come down to the literal word of the Book of Genesis, no matter how the discussion evolves, because that's the only argumentation their belief is based upon. All of their other argumentation is circumstantial and based upon misinterpretations and paranoia.

They can skirt around those arguments for a while to keep you busy, but then in the end, after you've debunked those arguments, then it's always the literal word of the Bible that it's eventually going to come down to.
    That is true of some or maybe the majority of the arguments.

But not all.

It is interesting to me that there are thoughtful people out there that started out dismissing the movement out of hand, but someone they knew and respected urged them to open their mind, and they did, and found that there are issues that do need better answers. I also love the independent thinking and resourcefulness of people who are examining questions for themselves.

The Marty Leeds video I posted on another thread is thoughtful:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eNVvRxQWb6g

Note: I found out by emailing Marty Leeds that he did make a mistake in that video; he quoted Nikola Tesla in error, as in Tesla didn't say the quote at all.
    Last edited by WantDisclosure, 4th October 2017 at 10:20. Reason: Add

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (4th October 2017), Emil El Zapato (4th October 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 5,535 Times in 1,305 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by KeepTrying View Post
    I also love the independent thinking and resourcefulness of people who are examining questions for themselves.
    I like the comment this YouTuber makes on his "About" page:

You can make The Math work on anything
    if you believe that particular ''anything'' is reality.
    And if you ignore or miss anything no matter
    how insignificant it is and then you do The Math
    and you make it work, it will still be wrong.

Dr. Zack

YouTube
    I enjoyed listening to this guy:

Published on Sep 23, 2017

Dear Trolls,

It took us a lot of time and work to make this video. So please, if you think that this was staged or faked or anything like that, don't bother to comment on this video, because your comment will be deleted and you will be blocked. You can just ignore us and everyone will be happy.

We just demonstrated how we can convert a Flat Land to a Globe Land using the same Math that the most famous Mathematicians used by just ''Ignoring Refraction'' or making it useless.

If you think that the Atmosphere is what science tells us, then you're going to have to prove that.

And when I say the atmosphere, I don't mean water, or gases, or vapor, or glass, or lenses... what I mean is the Atmosphere itself. And I don't mean those NASA's pictures that are obviously fake. You can't tell me how the atmosphere bends the light if you have no experiment to back up your claims. If you got assumptions based on Math only (The Math you see when you Google things), then we got assumptions based on Math and Experiments.

We do Experiments ourselves, we don't just wait for others to do them for us.

They don't do any experiments anyway.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bol8vZ7pcu8

12. The Following User Says Thank You to WantDisclosure For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (4th October 2017)