Page 51 of 53 FirstFirst ... 41484950515253 LastLast

Thread: What Motivates Bill Ryan of Project Avalon Community Forum?

Thanks
    Thanked 9,445 Times in 1,680 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by donk View Post
    I could show you “docs”.

Wanna see the DM he sent me HERE to tell me how irresponsible I was to expose the unlightened to the OT3?

I’m a bit behind and maybe ya got straightened out, but the Project is looking a bit white supremisist to me, and I think you’ll end up a bit disappointed putting faith in old bill
    She can't see any posts in the thread anymore
    Ní siocháin go saoirse

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lord Sidious For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (24th October 2020), donk (25th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by araucaria View Post
    The endless controversy over private messages may have a simple explanation. PMs per se are off limits, yes, but member-to-member exchanges (Visitor messages) gathered up into conversations on a member’s personal page are readable by all members and no non-members. Some people (perhaps not all) may well be talking at cross-purposes.
    araucaria,
    When I was a member at PA, I had a continuing Private Message dialogue with one specific individual (name withheld). No other members were ever included in this continuing dialogue.

Bill Ryan commented to me (at the end of my membership) that the moderation team had never seen two members use the private message function in the way that I had been using it - as a private communication device.

These Private Messages numbered well over 1000. We began the dialogue when we first became members, and continued it until we were banned.

I hope this clarifies your confusion.
    Last edited by Exit 0, 24th October 2020 at 14:31. Reason: add text

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Exit 0 For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Aragorn (24th October 2020), donk (25th October 2020), Dreamtimer (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Exit 0 View Post
    araucaria,
    When I was a member at PA, I had a continuing Private Message dialogue with one specific individual (name withheld). No other members were ever included in this continuing dialogue.

Bill Ryan commented to me (at the end of my membership) that the moderation team had never seen two members use the private message function in the way that I had been using it - as a private communication device.

Just for the record, every super moderator ─ which at Project Avalon means "anyone on the moderator team" ─ and every administrator can, when looking at the Who's Online, see when someone is looking at a PM, and who sent that PM. However, they cannot see what's in the PM ─ only who sent it. When an ordinary member looks at the Who's Online, they'll only see the words "Private messaging" next to the name of the member who's looking at a PM.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Dreamtimer (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th October 2020), Exit 0 (24th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    curious Aragorn, is there a member log of 'private messaging' ... ... if so, it's a good way to determine 'directions' ... the patterns would be obvious ...
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Aragorn (24th October 2020), Dreamtimer (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by NotAPretender View Post
    curious Aragorn, is there a member log of 'private messaging' ... ... if so, it's a good way to determine 'directions' ... the patterns would be obvious ...
    NotAPretender,

One of the last things Bill Ryan told me, just before I was terminated, was that Paul could send me a compressed file of all my Private Messages in an email, if I wanted them.

I declined.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Exit 0 For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Aragorn (24th October 2020), Dreamtimer (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    Not that I know of, no.

NotAPretender,

One of the last things Bill Ryan told me, just before I was terminated, was that Paul could send me a compressed file of all my Private Messages in an email, if I wanted them.

I declined.
    I suppose if you can interact with the database directly, then you can retrieve that information. But you have to know how the database is structured, and you have to be very good with SQL, which is a database language.

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Dreamtimer (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    Aragorn,

During the final week of my sojourn at PA, I spent a week of nights deleting all my Private Messages. It was then that Bill sent me that final message regarding a compressed file.

Bill explained that my effort was futile, because all those private messages were still on the "database". With that, he offered to have Paul send me all that I had been deleting.

14. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Exit 0 For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Aragorn (24th October 2020), Dreamtimer (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th October 2020), Lord Sidious (25th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Thanks

Select * from dbPrivateMessages where Aragorn.MessageID = NAP.MessageID and Aragorn.veryPrivateMessageStuffID = Nap.veryPrivatesMessageStuffID

ooohh, this is some good stuff. Wow, I didn't know that about her... hehe, if only I'd known!

Aragorn,

During the final week of my sojourn at PA, I spent a week of nights deleting all my Private Messages. It was then that Bill sent me that final message regarding a compressed file.

Bill explained that my effort was futile, because all those private messages were still on the "database". With that, he offered to have Paul send me all that I had been deleting.
    My specialty is doing stuff 'they' say can't be done ...

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Aragorn (24th October 2020), Dreamtimer (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Exit 0 (24th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Like compete with Aianawa in terms of understandable posts?

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Aragorn (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th October 2020), Lord Sidious (25th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    lol ...

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Select * from dbPrivateMessages where Aragorn.MessageID = NAP.MessageID and Aragorn.veryPrivateMessageStuffID = Nap.veryPrivatesMessageStuffID

ooohh, this is some good stuff. Wow, I didn't know that about her... hehe, if only I'd known!

My specialty is doing stuff 'they' say can't be done ...
    NotAPretender,

I have no understanding of this "code" you have referenced. I’m not as computer literate as the moderators in this Thread.

Are you suggesting that you can read the Project Avalon database, and that you have accessed the individual (name withheld) that I was Private Messaging with?

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Exit 0 For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Aragorn (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    Let me at it!

No, not at all, it was just a bit of a joke reference to the 'general' ambience of the thread. Not meant to imply anything regarding forums and their security.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Aragorn (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Exit 0 (24th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    NotAPretender,

I have no understanding of this "code" you have referenced. I’m not as computer literate as the moderators in this Thread.
    It's the syntax of an SQL command. SQL stands for "structured query language", and it strongly resembles normal English in its syntax.

Code:
    select [NAME OF COLUMN(S)] from [NAME OF TABLE] where [CERTAIN CONDITION APPLIES]

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th October 2020), Wind (24th October 2020)

Retired Member France
    Thanks
    araucaria,

These Private Messages numbered well over 1000. We began the dialogue when we first became members, and continued it until we were banned.

No confusion Exit0: I did say maybe not all. In your case, Bill Ryan was possibly just concerned with the volume of traffic involved. You make no suggestion that he was actually reading your stuff. Where would he find the time, I wonder? Or the interest? I would just comment on your inordinate use of the PM facility with an analogy. Here in France, you may use a public bar as your private office if you wish, but a waiter will come and take your order every hour. This is to ensure fair use of their valuable space. When two individuals have so much to say to each other, out of common courtesy they usually take their conversation elsewhere. If you don’t, then at least don’t come complaining about the service.

On another matter raised by Aragorn, there do seem to a few questions over Hervé’s new account as Gwin Ru.
    1) why is Gwin Ru’s join date backdated to 3rd July 2018? Was Hervé suffering from covid back in 2018? Or was it not backdated at all and set up for a rainy day somewhere down the line?
    2) I don’t think ordinary members at least are allowed to have more than one account. Why should administrators be any different? Alternatively, since there is no overlap, why not just state that Hervé was back under another user name?
    3) there is an unnecessary degree of deception when in his second post, back in April, Gwin Ru talks about Hervé’s possibly being right re covid, as if they were different people.
    4) Hervé’s previous handle was Amzer zo, which is Breton for ‘no hurry’ or words to that effect. Gwin Ru is Breton for ‘red wine’. Why choose a name that in itself might be enough for someone to concoct a theory about kidney failure due to overconsumption of alcohol?
    5) does any of this matter? Probably not. My little idle-minded dead-end theory goes like this. Hervé has been administering the forum from his local bar. Every hour he would order a Gwin Ru. Either he was working too hard or... the barman was superspreader zero.

28. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to araucaria For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Aragorn (24th October 2020), Elen (24th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th October 2020), heyokah (11th January 2021), Wind (24th October 2020)

Thanks
    On another matter raised by Aragorn, there do seem to a few questions over Hervé’s new account as Gwin Ru.
    1) why is Gwin Ru’s join date backdated to 3rd July 2018? Was Hervé suffering from covid back in 2018? Or was it not backdated at all and set up for a rainy day somewhere down the line?
    2) I don’t think ordinary members at least are allowed to have more than one account. Why should administrators be any different? Alternatively, since there is no overlap, why not just state that Hervé was back under another user name?
    It was Hervé's test account as an administrator. He asked Bill whether he could come back incognito for a while ─ albeit that Bill is now under the impression that it's going to be permanent ─ and he asked Bill to rename the test account to Gwin Ru.

I had a test account too over there ─ in fact, to the best of my knowledge, my test account is still active, because I only thought about it after I had already retired my main account, and thus, when I no longer had the ability to retire the test account as well.

3) there is an unnecessary degree of deception when in his second post, back in April, Gwin Ru talks about Hervé’s possibly being right re covid, as if they were different people.
    At that point in time, Hervé really did still intend to remain anonymous. But things have changed in the meantime. At present time, Gwin Ru has already long given away that he is, in fact, Hervé in a different guise, and ─ at least, according to Bill ─ that he has no intention of returning to being Hervé.

4) Hervé’s previous handle was Amzer zo, which is Breton for ‘no hurry’ or words to that effect. Gwin Ru is Breton for ‘red wine’. Why choose a name that in itself might be enough for someone to concoct a theory about kidney failure due to overconsumption of alcohol?
    I think you're seeing things that aren't there. Just because one likes red wine does not make one an alcoholic just yet, and I for one certainly wouldn't have deducted anything of that nature from him choosing that name, other than that it is indeed Bréton for "red wine".

5) does any of this matter? Probably not. My little idle-minded dead-end theory goes like this. Hervé has been administering the forum from his local bar. Every hour he would order a Gwin Ru. Either he was working too hard or... the barman was superspreader zero.
    I don't know where you got this theory, but it sounds quite far-fetched to me. Either way, all of the symptoms described by you-know-who ─ and I know her Project Avalon name too ─ were congruent with Covid-19. I've had Covid-19 myself ─ twice now ─ and I'm still battling with the aftereffects of the disease, so not only do I recognize the symptoms, but I can also fully understand that it has long-lasting consequences, and that it causes neurological damage. It's a filthy virus.

As for where Hervé would have contracted it, who knows? I myself barely have any real-world contact with other people, and even I don't know where I got it. I suspect the supermarket, but the second infection could just as easily have come from my household physician, whom I had to see on a house call over a different issue only a few days before I got the symptoms again.

30. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (24th October 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th October 2020), heyokah (12th January 2021), Silly Wabbit (28th May 2022), Wind (24th October 2020)