Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: The Next Charlottesville?

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I live in an area that was once rural and quite white. It's much more dense and the farm fields have houses now. About three miles away is an urban/suburban corridor which is mostly black, but also Carribean and African as well. There are really no racial tensions around here. People just do their thing, shopping, going to the library, even the farmers market which is very unique due to the local culture.

It took me a couple months to get used to being one of the only white people around when I went shopping. Now it's no big deal. Where I used to live, in Laurel, MD, there are mixed couple of every kind you can imagine, cultures from all over the world. It's been that way since I moved to the state almost 30 years ago. This is the DC/Baltimore corridor.

Maryland is the Free State, the Old Line State and also...

Little America.

We've got it all, rural Appalachian, Southern, Northern, Coastal, and International in the DC metro area.

Americans will join together to help each other not just in disasters, but also in social upheaval. I've met people in the western part of the state who believed that they could "march on Washington" with their guns and their flags and "take back America" if Obama was re-elected. They thought it could be over in three weeks. These people are not realistic, they are idealistic. If they really tried to do such a thing, or if there is another "Charlottesville" here, people will be coming out to counter it, just like Boston and around the country.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th August 2017), Aragorn (30th August 2017), Elen (31st August 2017), Gio (31st August 2017), modwiz (30th August 2017), sandy (31st August 2017)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,260 Times in 397 Posts

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th August 2017), Aragorn (31st August 2017), Chester (2nd September 2017), Dreamtimer (31st August 2017), Elen (18th September 2017), JRS (31st August 2017), modwiz (30th August 2017), sandy (31st August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I am deeply impressed at how far people will go help others. Volunteer rescuers with boats and even surfboards.
    Is human truth flowing from this photo, indeed.

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (31st August 2017), Dreamtimer (31st August 2017), Elen (31st August 2017), Gio (31st August 2017), heyokah (31st August 2017), modwiz (31st August 2017), sandy (31st August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by turiya View Post
    Still taking sides?

Where does political polarization end? The Hamptons.

On Saturday, some of the world’s most powerful politicians, celebrities, and billionaires from both sides of the aisle congregated at Washington Post editor Lally Weymouth’s Southampton home for champagne, cocktails, and fried chicken. The star-studded guest list included Jared Kushner, Ivanka Trump, George Soros, Kellyanne Conway, Steven Spielberg, Bill Bratton, David Koch, Carl Icahn, and Sen. Chuck Schumer, among others.
    http://dailycaller.com/2017/07/02/ku...-the-hamptons/

As for the most talented "Far Side/Right Side" cartoonist:

Branco describes himself as “somewhere between the Far Side and the right side of every issue.”
    Read more at http://comicallyincorrect.com/about-...yM79uSRsdWb.99
    http://comicallyincorrect.com/about-a-f-branco/
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 31st August 2017 at 02:04.
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (31st August 2017), Aragorn (31st August 2017), Dreamtimer (31st August 2017), sandy (31st August 2017)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Still taking sides?
    "Taking sides" is for sports fans... for cheerleaders... for one that has a horse in the race...
    ...for the blind that can't see that a coil of rope is not the snake that they have a fear of...

Having eyes to see, and a sense to know... then, "taking sides" doesn't come into question...

When watching a movie, do you take a side?
    Or, are you an observer that simply watches the film?

Help yourself to some of my...

Back to topic...

GORKA - JFK - ROBERT E LEE
    SP OPUS 19

(Published on Aug 15, 2017)
    Last edited by turiya, 31st August 2017 at 06:22.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th September 2017), Aragorn (31st August 2017), Chester (2nd September 2017), heyokah (31st August 2017), modwiz (31st August 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by turiya View Post
    Back to topic...

GORKA - JFK - ROBERT E LEE
    SP OPUS 19

(Published on Aug 15, 2017)
    Back to topic eh...

Come on Turiya, there's plenty of other thread space available both here, and especially on your long running thread over at The Project, to push the Trump propaganda and this ridiculous Alt Right meme. Your well informed opinions are most welcome, but not the one sided media blitzkrieg that tends to come with them. Is that cool?

Socrates

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th September 2017), Dreamtimer (31st August 2017), Elen (31st August 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 37,150 Times in 7,345 Posts

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th September 2017), Dreamtimer (31st August 2017), Elen (31st August 2017)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Back to topic eh...

Come on Turiya, there's plenty of other thread space available both here, and especially on your long running thread over at The Project, to push the Trump propaganda and this ridiculous Alt Right meme. Your well informed opinions are most welcome, but not the one sided media blitzkrieg that tends to come with them. Is that cool?
    Very seldom do you run across someone that has an original thought of their very own. Practically all of it is borrowed information - received, absorbed, ingested from elsewhere - then repackaged, to then be regurgitated / pushed / spewed forth back out for others to receive, absorb, ingest - then, in turn, to be recycled back out again for still more 'others' to receive. And much too often times its promoted as being their very own way of thinking / opinions / views, etc...etc...etc...

The question comes to mind:

What really is not propaganda?

I mean, come on, Fred... really now... From where have you gotten the notions that you choose to express? From where do the thoughts & notions & concepts that you choose to promote that have helped you portray yourself as the personality known as "Fred Steeves"? From where do these ideas originate? I would say, 99% (or more) come from the society in which you live.

Have you ever really looked to see from WHERE the thoughts that you embrace - from where do they actually come from?

I really don't even know what the term "Alt-Right" means...
    Since about 80-90% of the corporate MSM is on the left-side of the political spectrum, then I suppose it means that it's a label to describe an "alternative" to the left-sided corporate MSM that is on the right-side of that same spectrum.

Most of my life I considered myself a 'liberal' type of person. Liberal in the context that I've considered myself to be an open-minded person - not closed. Conservatives, to me, were considered not open-minded, but closed-minded - not wanting things to change, and sticking to tradition.

But it seems words have changed their meaning over the years... or, perhaps it's me that has changed over the years in which I've lived. Maybe, it's just me balancing out what most of my 'liberal' life has been up to this present moment. Something that I think that is quite a natural thing to occur. Life is a kind of dynamic 'balancing act', so-to-speak.

One thing that I have come to learn is that change continuously happens. It never stops continuously changing. And Fred, if you think that things will never change... including the present political power structure... well then, that may be a bit of brainwashing propaganda that, perhaps, one may consider trying to purge oneself of at some time, or other. Just a thought, Fred...

Never have I been interested in politics whatsoever - I stopped paying attention to the silliness a long time ago - early 70's .
    However, I find politics quite entertaining at this time round. Its absolutely quite hilarious at times - and the cartoonists are doing quite well with it => watching the Deep-State, the corporate MSM, the neocon-right & the democrat-left both with their long-knives drawn.... in an attempt to take Trump down. But only having it coming back onto all these entities as 'blow-back'. Attempting to spit on Trump, but having it being blown back into their own faces. It really is quite phenomenal - with what is taking place, imo... lol... Sorry if you don't see it that way.

I will give him this much credit - that he certainly is making it a very, very difficult task for 'them' to accomplish what they want to have happen. And, I do enjoy watching the show as it moves through the various chapters that are brought forth...

Sorry, if you take offense to anything that is said, here... Look at it as: It's just turiya's propaganda that is responding to the propaganda that is being pushed by Fred Steeves.

Peace-out!

_________Late Add________

Steve Pieczenik Regarding: Jared Kushner & Ivanka...

Last edited by turiya, 3rd September 2017 at 21:12.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th September 2017), Chester (2nd September 2017), Dreamtimer (1st September 2017), Fred Steeves (31st August 2017), sandy (3rd September 2017)

Thanks
    Now that's more like it! You know turiya, I just learned more about where you're coming from with all this, than the last 50 Trump related post of yours I've read over at The Project.

I appreciate the candor, but not so much Mr. Coup himself Steve Pieczenik. Were there a contest for a new "CIA Guy Speaks With Forked Tongue" poster child, he would be right up there as there as one of my strongest recommendations.

Cheers

Socrates

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th September 2017), Chester (2nd September 2017), Dreamtimer (1st September 2017), Elen (31st August 2017), sandy (3rd September 2017), turiya (31st August 2017)

(account terminated)
    Thanks

• August 30, 2017

• Governor Terry McAuliffe’s efforts to evade responsibility for the shocking violence at Charlottesville just got even more implausible. He and local authorities were warned, and yet allowed, if not forced, the two violence-prone parties into such close proximity that violence was a near certainty. Josh Meyer reports in Politico:

The Department of Homeland Security issued a confidential warning to law enforcement authorities three days before the deadly Aug. 12 Charlottesville protest rally, saying that an escalating series of clashes had created a powder keg that would likely make the event “among the most violent to date” between white supremacists and anarchists.

• The warning issued to state and city officials was clear that the violence in Charlottesville would come, as President Trump was widely criticized for saying, from “both sides.” As quoted by Politico, the DHS assessment issued three days ahead of the Charlottesville incident read, “Anarchist extremists and white supremacist extremists online are calling on supporters to be prepared for or to instigate violence at the 12 August rally.

• "This raises more serious questions about the culpability of Charlottesville and Virginia public officials, who appear to be engaged in a game of semantics about whether a “stand down” order was issued to police that day, leading to escalation of the violence between left-wing Antifa and neo-Nazis.

Source: sott.net /
    Last edited by turiya, 1st September 2017 at 11:44.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th September 2017), Chester (2nd September 2017), sandy (3rd September 2017)

(account terminated)
    Thanks
    David Robertson on divide & conquer... as long as we are divided, that is what is wanted.... What's next? Maybe a major event coming... the falling economy will trigger greater amounts of tension... (first half of video pertains to situation(s) regading Charlottesville / racism & fascism meme... then, Robertson gets into North Korea - China & world economy...

David Robertson: The Economic Model Reports A
    Major Event Is Approaching & It Could Be This Fall

(Published on Sep 2, 2017)
    Last edited by turiya, 2nd September 2017 at 22:03.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to turiya For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th September 2017), Chester (2nd September 2017), Elen (3rd September 2017), sandy (3rd September 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 37,150 Times in 7,345 Posts

Question

Stirring the underbelly ...

"With a Rebel Yell she cried, more, more, more" ...

Defenders of Confederate statues gather at Dallas Lee Park

RT America

Published on Sep 18, 2017
    Armed protesters and defenders of Texas Confederate statues gathered at Lee Park in Dallas to protest against the recent removal of a Robert E. Lee statue on Saturday. Originally organized to fight the impending removal, This Is Texas Freedom Force ended up protesting alongside the empty pedestal where the Robert E. Lee statue once stood.
    1:39 minutes

Last edited by Gio, 18th September 2017 at 16:54. Reason: add video link

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (18th September 2017), Aragorn (18th September 2017), Dreamtimer (8th July 2020), Elen (18th September 2017)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    This thread by a fellow born in Alabama is a bit of a history lesson. I already read a different piece today whose title basically said that the South won the Civil War. I've long seen the vestiges of Confederate beliefs in modern conservatives but I didn't have the personal connections that this person has.

Read it and weep.

I'll likely come back with snippets for those who don't want to go to threadreaderapp.

26. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (8th July 2020), Aragorn (8th July 2020), Elen (11th July 2020), Emil El Zapato (8th July 2020), Octopus Garden (8th July 2020), Wind (8th July 2020)