Page 17 of 17 FirstFirst ... 714151617

Thread: An Alternative View of Hitler

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    One of the things we have had to deal with here is Holocaust denial. I was surprised at how widespread it is in the 'alternate' community.

This event that I'm writing about is not denial, just willful ignorance (yes, I do mean willful).

I don't watch the show The View. It's a daytime show, ladies discussing varied topics, big ratings and apparently influential. Started by Barbara Walters, currently captained by Joy Behar.

Whoopi Goldberg has been on the show for several years. She got herself in hot water again with a controversial stance. I watched her explanation/apology on Colbert's Late Show before I watched the segment in question. Whoopi's explanation had three parts:

She thought they were 'having a discussion'.

She made a lot of people mad and she clearly didn't understand something.

She's sorry and she'll "never say it again."

I recognized that last part right away. I've heard her make that declaration before. Many times. She's good at playing the victim. (she plays that card rather than the race one). Poor Whoopi, she just made a mistake and now she's in time-out. She'll never do it again. Like a child who's been reprimanded.

I watched the segment to see how her statement held up.

Discussion: Whoopi gave Joy a chance to speak a phrase, another host a half a second, and then it was all, No, You don't get it, Llisten to me, You don't under stand, it's not about race. It's not.

What Whoopi was doing was making a judgement and declaration of what qualifies as race in speaking of the Holocaust. She was not 'having a discussion.' And clearly she believes she's the arbiter of race on the show. She should step down from that role having just done a shit job.

Her statement about not knowing what she was saying was wrong doesn't stand up to scrutiny. She should know better. She's not a sheltered girl who grew up with Daddy's fame and stature like one of her former co-hosts. Whoopi's been around the block. She was a comic. She's been in films. She's been on this show for years. It felt like pathetic excuses that she offered up.

That level of ignorance about the Holocaust and issues of race has no excuse. Whoopi didn't grow up in a place where you weren't allowed to teach about the Holocaust. Whoopi also should know better than to promote such a shallow definition of race. It's patently absurd to assert what she did.

I was reminded of Joe Rogan's discussion where he was defending his friend Rosanne Barr, going on about how she wouldn't really deliberately make a racist comment. And besides, you couldn't even tell the person in question was black.

And then Joe's guest reminded him of Rosanne's comment about Susan Rice having big hairy gorilla balls. Which is right in the upper echelons of obviously racist. And Joe just laughed saying, oh yeah. That was funny.

But she wouldn't say that would she? Didn't you just say that, Joe?

Whoopi and Rosanne need to keep certain things on the stand-up stage where they belong.

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Emil El Zapato (6th February 2022), Wind (6th February 2022)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,102 Times in 11,916 Posts
    I certainly agree about the stand-up thing. I will say this, when I was a youngster and having my first go at determining 'Jewish', I posed the question to the teacher regarding the "Jewish race" that I regarded "Jewishness" as a religion not a race. It was stated as a question. She remarked that it was a valid point and said that it had long been a question of confusion whether Jew was a race or a religion. I still see it as a 'religion' that others have imposed race upon. I think that might have been Whoops initial 'impulse' and she blurted it out. Have you ever seen her original stand-up routine? It was so bizarre as to be non-comedic but in my estimation brilliant.

About her stage surname, she claimed in 2011, "My mother did not name me Whoopi, but Goldberg is my name—it's part of my family, part of my heritage, just like being black", and "I just know I am Jewish. I practice nothing. I don't go to temple, but I do remember the holidays." - Google.

Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 6th February 2022 at 14:36.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (6th February 2022), Wind (6th February 2022)

Thanks
    Tiffany Hadish is jewish as well. But that's due to Foster parents, not bloodlines. (as I understand it).

My Orthodox friend explained things and it's basically both. There are Sephardic, and Ashkenazi jews. And more. It's also a religion. It doesn't have to be an either/or. Bloodlines are traced through the mother which is why it's so much worse for the daughter to marry out of the faith.

It didn't take a degree to understand the basics. Just a bit of actual discussion and some paying attention to people.

My friend and her community have a decided undercurrent of "You'd never see that in our community." They talk about the outside world, regular America, but they want to have their cake and eat it too. So on the one hand, they don't really understand the larger society or Christianity, and on the other they talk all the time about it with the aforementioned unspoken attitude. What I learned is that the more people think that they're different and special, the more they show themselves to be like the rest of humanity on the most basic and essential levels.

My friend does believe that I get to go to heaven, just not the highest heaven. Only they get to go be right in the Presence of G_d. Which is mighty arrogant in my opinion though I never told her that.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 43,102 Times in 11,916 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    Tiffany Hadish is jewish as well. But that's due to Foster parents, not bloodlines. (as I understand it).

My Orthodox friend explained things and it's basically both. There are Sephardic, and Ashkenazi jews. And more. It's also a religion. It doesn't have to be an either/or. Bloodlines are traced through the mother which is why it's so much worse for the daughter to marry out of the faith.

It didn't take a degree to understand the basics. Just a bit of actual discussion and some paying attention to people.

My friend and her community have a decided undercurrent of "You'd never see that in our community." They talk about the outside world, regular America, but they want to have their cake and eat it too. So on the one hand, they don't really understand the larger society or Christianity, and on the other they talk all the time about it with the aforementioned unspoken attitude. What I learned is that the more people think that they're different and special, the more they show themselves to be like the rest of humanity on the most basic and essential levels.

My friend does believe that I get to go to heaven, just not the highest heaven. Only they get to go be right in the Presence of G_d. Which is mighty arrogant in my opinion though I never told her that.
    lol, that's ridiculous ... but watch the presentation by the guy that Wind posted in the NDE thread. There might be some substance to the notion that there are higher and lower levels of 'Heaven'. Though, I seriously doubt that it would be based on what 'faith' someone might have ... scratch that, it is not a matter, or actually it is a matter of 'faith', not religion.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (6th February 2022), Wind (6th February 2022)

Thanks
    There may be different levels. There certainly seem to be many parts. Places to go to learn, or rest, or work out some stuff that doesn't require entry into the physical realm.

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post: