Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RIP Gregg Allman

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    I've a son in the music biz, he manages several small bands. He has stories, nothing I can absolutely verify.

Leave it at: if you make it big, you sold your soul. Very hard not to.

My reasoning: this venue is too important to not be corrupted by the Deep State with young folks, and so they have corrupted it. It's a great control mechanism. No matter how much you like the Music, there are no virtually no heroes in the Music biz. It seems they all sell out, silver or lead works very well here.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st June 2017), Elen (31st May 2017), Melidae (31st May 2017), modwiz (31st May 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dumpster Diver View Post
    I've a son in the music biz, he manages several small bands. He has stories, nothing I can absolutely verify.

My reasoning: this venue is too important to not be corrupted by the Deep State with young folks, and so they have corrupted it. It's a great control mechanism. No matter how much you like the Music, there are no virtually no heroes in the Music biz. It seems they all sell out, silver or lead works very well here.
    You seem to have a very clear idea of why you're so sure of this blanket conclusion. What do you mean by having 'sold your soul'? What do you mean that makes all successful real musicians not deserving of a heroes respect despite the incredibly soulful music they created that enriched millions of lives and the relentless hard work, pressures and demands they kept enduring to keep delivering it under a glaring spotlight on every aspect of their lives.

I'm only asking about the broadly respected actual musicians in history - not the fabricated lip syncing talentless actors and actresses of the more modern era that are obviously sold out, we all know who they are.
    Last edited by TimeLab, 31st May 2017 at 20:55.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TimeLab For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st June 2017), Aragorn (1st June 2017), Dreamtimer (31st May 2017), Elen (1st June 2017), Melidae (31st May 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts

DD, this is not a ****ing contest.

I don't deny that the music industry is corrupted...of course it is. What I do take exception to is claiming as fact that 'they ALL sell out'. I imagine that would be pretty hard to prove.
    Last edited by Melidae, 31st May 2017 at 22:30. Reason: p*ssing is considered a swear word????

6. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st June 2017), Aragorn (31st May 2017), Dreamtimer (1st June 2017), Elen (1st June 2017), modwiz (1st June 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 81,103 Times in 20,306 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Melidae View Post
    DD, this is not a ****ing contest.

I don't deny that the music industry is corrupted...of course it is. What I do take exception to is claiming as fact that 'they ALL sell out'. I imagine that would be pretty hard to prove.
    I agree.

Quote Originally posted by Melidae View Post
    Last edited by Melidae; Today at 00:30. Reason: p*ssing is considered a swear word????
    Yep, it's in the "bad words" list. Don't look at me — I didn't put it there.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st June 2017), Dreamtimer (1st June 2017), Elen (1st June 2017), Melidae (31st May 2017), modwiz (1st June 2017)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 13,156 Times in 2,620 Posts
    Here we go, folks getting all worked up because their guitar hero could (gasp!) be a sellout.

The music biz is ALL ABOUT selling out. If the Allmans didn't they are in the vast minority IN MY OPINION

Btw, I'm sorry Santa Claus isn't real as well.

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dumpster Diver For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st June 2017), Dreamtimer (1st June 2017), Melidae (31st May 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 3,106 Times in 484 Posts
    Here we go, folks getting all worked up because their guitar hero could (gasp!) be a sellout.

The music biz is ALL ABOUT selling out. If the Allmans didn't they are in the vast minority IN MY OPINION

Btw, I'm sorry Santa Claus isn't real as well.

Are you trying to provoke me or just trying to be clever? Either way, you're going to have to try a lot harder than that.

I sense a bit of waffling on the absolutes...

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Melidae For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st June 2017), Aragorn (1st June 2017), Dreamtimer (1st June 2017), Elen (1st June 2017), modwiz (1st June 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,056 Times in 145 Posts
    As a new member I've been in reading mode until now, but would like my first post to address this issue, of whether a musician's fame automatically equates with selling out one's soul, whatever that means.

If by "soul" we mean authentic identity I would agree that this would be hard to maintain by anyone who stands in the limelight. Not just musicians or actors (actors even more so as they present other identities than their own, and thus stand even lesser chance of gaining real soul identity self knowledge), but also writers with a huge following.

A person still dominated by ego could easily lose their soul simply by thinking, 'Wow- Im really expressing myself here', and have instant ego growth. Impressed with their rise to fame.
    The case with sensitive artists who may receive their inspiration from higher worlds and are inclined to feel reverence for their muses, still, receiving the projected adoring thoughts from thousands or millions of followers will in my opinion also affect their soul path, if only via the distractions that those invasive thoughts generated by their fans would have on their inner life. The world is full of incidences of telepathy being a real phenomenom.
    Just musing here, please bear with me.
    Soul is a mystery, yet exploring its true nature is what life on this planet is all about. While I firmly believe in the interconnectedness of everything I also believe, equally firmly, that each individual must take full charge of maintaining their innermost identity, and guard against soul loss.
    This is possible only when there is plenty of privacy and quiet time for reflection, something that fame and fortune would present an obstacle to.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Paloma For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (1st June 2017), Aragorn (1st June 2017), Dreamtimer (1st June 2017), Elen (1st June 2017), modwiz (1st June 2017), PurpleLama (1st June 2017)