Page 32 of 32 FirstFirst ... 2229303132

Thread: From The Great Northwest

Thanks
    Thanked 80,975 Times in 20,256 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Chuckie View Post
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Granted, it was not for everyone, though. It was a film noir version of a (partly) supernatural story, and — typical for David Lynch — the story ended in a rather unsatisfactory way.
    Like many things I didn't see it until much later, I think it was part deux that I saw first. Without knowing who the director was I watched 'Eraserhead' when prompted to do so, by a 'weird' video shop owner. The proprietor was dressed as a vampire when I shopped there (my hick small town). Eraserhead is still far and away the strangest movie I've ever seen. The chances that I would watch it twice are nil...
    David Lynch has sure made some weird movies, that's a given. The original "Dune" movie from 1980 was directed by him, and was somewhat weird too. And then there were "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Drive", which both had seemingly illogical/irrational/bizarre plots.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th January 2024), Emil El Zapato (15th January 2024), Gio (15th January 2024), Wind (15th January 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 27,307 Times in 7,221 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    David Lynch has sure made some weird movies, that's a given. The original "Dune" movie from 1980 was directed by him, and was somewhat weird too. And then there were "Lost Highway" and "Mulholland Drive", which both had seemingly illogical/irrational/bizarre plots.
    How about the Elephant Man?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxb_1457gGs

I've only really seen Twin Peaks, the original series and mostly loved it. Although the creepy horror parts really were creepy.

People have described Lynch's movies as dreamlike or nightmarish and I'd agree, but from what I've seen the new ones are really weird.

Lynch had very little control over Dune and he hates it so much because he thinks the studio butchered his vision. To this date he refuses to really talk about it and hasn't even wanted to see the new Dune movie. Some people however claim that Lynch would have captured the feeling of the Dune book better than Denis Villeneuve. The best version of the old movie can be seen here as I've made a thread about it.
    "The more I see, the less I know for sure." ~ John Lennon

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wind For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th January 2024), Aragorn (16th January 2024), Emil El Zapato (11th February 2024), Gio (15th January 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 37,163 Times in 7,350 Posts

Thinking

Imagine ...

Somewhere in the world a tree sprouted on the day
    you were born and has been growing alongside you ...

A View From Mt. Spokane
    Presenting an alternative to the alternative community.

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th January 2024), Aragorn (16th January 2024), Emil El Zapato (15th January 2024), Wind (15th January 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,101 Times in 11,916 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Wind View Post
    How about the Elephant Man?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kxb_1457gGs

I've only really seen Twin Peaks, the original series and mostly loved it. Although the creepy horror parts really were creepy.

People have described Lynch's movies as dreamlike or nightmarish and I'd agree, but from what I've seen the new ones are really weird.

Lynch had very little control over Dune and he hates it so much because he thinks the studio butchered his vision. To this date he refuses to really talk about it and hasn't even wanted to see the new Dune movie. Some people however claim that Lynch would have captured the feeling of the Dune book better than Denis Villeneuve. The best version of the old movie can be seen here as I've made a thread about it.
    yes, I've seen the Elephant Man and sure enough, it was 'weird'.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th January 2024), Aragorn (16th January 2024), Gio (15th January 2024), Wind (15th January 2024)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,101 Times in 11,916 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Gio View Post
    Imagine ...

Somewhere in the world a tree sprouted on the day
    you were born and has been growing alongside you ...

A View From Mt. Spokane
    I won a tree in an art contest when I was in kindergarten (5 years old). I planted it and it died...I've felt dirty ever since. Seriously, sinful, like Cain. (I even liked Cain's name better than Abel).
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

10. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th January 2024), Aragorn (16th January 2024), Gio (15th January 2024), Wind (15th January 2024)

Thanks

Video

Occurring ...

Crisis in the Northwest: Drugs leave rural areas
    to rot in the shadows

Fox News

Feb 10, 2024
    With all eyes on Portland’s fentanyl crisis, many rural Oregon communities dealing with their own opioid and homelessness epidemics feel abandoned by policy makers.
    7:32 min.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (12th February 2024), Emil El Zapato (11th February 2024), Wind (12th February 2024)

Thanks

Returning Topic

Pay heed ...

Living ALONE

Reflections on life

Feb 18, 2023
    The world is more connected than it's ever been before. We can communicate instantly with our friends and family who live miles apart, thanks to the power of social media. And yet... why do so many of us still feel lonely?

Feeling lonely is a normal human experience - it is something we all go through. And it's not simply a function of being alone. You can feel lonely in a crowd. Because loneliness is a feeling of being alienated from others, not feeling understood or connected - it’s a feeling that something is missing.

But loneliness is also a message that our body sends us, letting us know that we are important, and we need to become friends with ourselves again. When we feel isolated or alone, we can choose to have compassion for ourselves. We can recognise our emotions without judging them. When we accept where we are at and what we are struggling against, without berating ourselves, we can then begin to change.

In order to defeat loneliness, we have to listen to its message - You are complete, nobody is needed, you are enough!

Filmed in Groot-Marico, South Africa.
    [Featuring Johann Moolman

9:07 min.

14. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th February 2024), Emil El Zapato (16th February 2024), Wind (15th February 2024)

Thanks

Thumbs Up

Lots of memories there ...

The Way Out West

Michael Tomlinson

On a cloudy Northwest afternoon in August, my sweetheart, Patricia, and I drove out to the Snoqualmie River, at the edge of the Cascade Mountains, and filmed this song. We found a beautiful oasis of trees and grass next to the river and spent the early evening singing ...
    5:01 min.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (16th February 2024), Emil El Zapato (16th February 2024), Wind (17th February 2024)

Thanks

Returning Topic

One of my fav's from down in Oregon ...

The Asher House

I can't stop falling in love with
    our special needs boy, Elvis | Lee Asher

About
    Here to help people have better days & give animals the best life in the world. Thank you for being a part of it.

Feb 20, 2024

5:54 min.

18. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st February 2024), Emil El Zapato (20th February 2024), Wind (21st February 2024)

Thanks

Question

Will share this here ...

Why "Nobody" Lives In Eastern Oregon,
    Eastern Washington, or Idaho

Geography By Geoff

Mar 5, 2024

The Pacific Northwest is known for its vast expanse of forests, cool rainy climate, and its larger cities of Portland and Seattle. But that only makes up a small portion of the region at large. In fact, if you travel to the east over the Cascade Mountain Range, you'll find yourself in an area that looks and feels completely different! It's also remarkably empty compared to its western, smaller (in area size) half. So why don't more people live in the "empty" Pacific Northwest?

13:56 min.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (6th March 2024), Emil El Zapato (17th March 2024), Wind (6th March 2024)

Thanks

Returning Topic

Will share this here ...

Quote Originally posted by Gio View Post

#TheRealDeal #TroutLake

Gifford Pinchot National Forest w/ Mt Adams in the background

A Flash Of Beauty: Bigfoot Revealed

Mel Skahan

Feb 10, 2024
    Growing up on the Yakama Reservation, Mel Skahan carried a lifelong fascination for the mysterious forest entities commonly known as Bigfoot. As he transitioned into adulthood, his curiosity intensified during his early involvement with the tribe's forestry program. Seeking to broaden his perspectives, Mel proactively engaged with and eventually became a significant contributor to the Bigfoot Field Researchers Organization (BFRO). Recent experiences have further opened Mel Skahan's mind to diverse possibilities, linking Sasquatch not only to the physical realm but also to the spiritual dimension, a connection recognized by many Native communities.
    1:18:38 min.

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gio For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (17th March 2024), Emil El Zapato (17th March 2024), Wind (23rd March 2024)