Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Real Rationalist: Bringing a rationalist's perspective to the esoteric and daily reality.

Retired Member Virgin Islands
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 356 Posts

Real Rationalist: Bringing a rationalist's perspective to the esoteric and daily reality.

After watching and participating in Modwiz's videos I decided to get back into it myself (previously I had done some videos for my horse rescue).

This time I'm going to try and mirror my content with my forum based topical interests, and mix in a bit of my personal projects when they align with that.

(I've already filmed a few videos of me learning welding which I'll be making another video about internet based learning soon)

I feel like this is the first video more to the spirit of why I wanted to start t his channel, I met a very interesting individual here on St Croix through my wife (who is a very intuitive "gypsy", her last name was a description for Romanian speakers (mostly gypsies) in Hungary: Olah).

Anyway, it was a fascinating discussion with a very interesting man, the Nigerian Mystic.

2. The Following 17 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th May 2017), Aragorn (4th May 2017), DNA (11th May 2017), Dreamtimer (4th May 2017), Elen (4th May 2017), Emil El Zapato (12th May 2017), Fred Steeves (4th May 2017), Gio (20th May 2017), Greenbarry (4th May 2017), JRS (5th May 2017), Juniper (4th May 2017), Maggie (4th May 2017), Mahakasyapa (4th May 2017), modwiz (4th May 2017), PurpleLama (5th May 2017), sandy (7th May 2017), zendeavor (11th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 11,990 Times in 2,602 Posts
    Interesting conversation, and nicely done! I wish I had a cool neighbor like that to sit around and shoot the shit with like that.

As an aside, from much personal experience I can vouch for the validity of what was brought up at the end. That even the act of f**king up is okay. Better than doing no thing at all. But then again, isn't that f**king up as well? Hmmmmm...

4. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (4th May 2017), Aragorn (4th May 2017), DNA (11th May 2017), Elen (5th May 2017), Juniper (4th May 2017), modwiz (4th May 2017), PurpleLama (5th May 2017), sandy (7th May 2017), TargeT (4th May 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Interesting conversation, and nicely done! I wish I had a cool neighbor like that to sit around and shoot the shit with like that.
    He was only here for about a month, he's already left the island. Every time I ran into him we had pretty interesting conversations and a few times conversations that drew a crowd, so I figured this guy needed recording.

That even the act of f**king up is okay. Better than doing no thing at all. But then again, isn't that f**king up as well? Hmmmmm...
    I guess if you do nothing long enough, it could be considered ****ing up (but then, if you do something long enough, chances are there's many lessons to be learned) but really, unless your dead (and maybe even then) even when doing nothing, we are always doing something.

Doing nothing is entropic, "****ing up" is chaotic; we were trying to circle around our understanding that chaos is the expansive force, entropy the subtractive. Participating in life can be chaotic and we tend to fear (or at least not prefer) the unknown (aka chaos), something that can really impact our experience here as it keeps us from participating fully.

With this in mind, "order out of chaos" takes on a whole new (and potentially sinister) meaning, as "order" is also an expression of entropy.

6. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th May 2017), Aragorn (4th May 2017), Dreamtimer (4th May 2017), Elen (5th May 2017), Fred Steeves (4th May 2017), Juniper (4th May 2017), Maggie (4th May 2017), modwiz (4th May 2017), sandy (7th May 2017), Wind (10th May 2017)

Thanks
    Only there for a month huh? In my book you two were destined to hook up like that, with each leaving the other's life experience just that much richer.

Entropy vs. disorder. Sounds kind of like the dance of life doesn't it? Winter/summer, night/day, sleep/awake, death/life.

8. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th May 2017), Aragorn (4th May 2017), Dreamtimer (4th May 2017), Elen (5th May 2017), Juniper (4th May 2017), modwiz (4th May 2017), sandy (7th May 2017), TargeT (4th May 2017)

Thanks
    Entropy vs. disorder. Sounds kind of like the dance of life doesn't it? Winter/summer, night/day, sleep/awake, death/life.
    Absolutely, in a fractal reality the "truths" will be echoed everywhere; large and small (as above, so below... etc) its difficult to see them however because they reside in different contexts.

It's (entropy and chaos) just another expression of duality, something that is so necessary to existence (in it's entirety, regardless of our preferences).

I found an amazing companion video for my interview, Similar topics are covered; but it's a bit more cohesive (and shorter.. haha).

Another Babu:

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th May 2017), Dreamtimer (4th May 2017), Elen (5th May 2017), Juniper (4th May 2017), modwiz (4th May 2017), sandy (7th May 2017)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 295 Posts
    Not only that; challenge everything as well.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Gale Frierson For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th May 2017), Dreamtimer (4th May 2017), Elen (5th May 2017), Juniper (4th May 2017), modwiz (4th May 2017), sandy (7th May 2017), TargeT (4th May 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by TargeT View Post
    Absolutely, in a fractal reality the "truths" will be echoed everywhere; large and small (as above, so below... etc) its difficult to see them however because they reside in different contexts.

It's (entropy and chaos) just another expression of duality, something that is so necessary to existence (in it's entirety, regardless of our preferences).
    And there we have it, emphasizing "regardless of our preferences".

In that light, order out of chaos/entropy out of disorder is exactly what the ruling Order does, what it's here to do. What if it does indeed succeed? Is that it, game over for life? Or is it more akin to how Bette Midler so aptly put it: "Just remember in the winter, far beneath the bitter snow. Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes the Rose".

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th May 2017), Dreamtimer (4th May 2017), Elen (5th May 2017), modwiz (4th May 2017), sandy (7th May 2017), TargeT (4th May 2017)

Thanks
    And there we have it, emphasizing "regardless of our preferences".
    I think preference is... the root of all evil (and good); because I see "evil" and "good" as undefinable except when seen as the current preference set of the person experiencing an event they label as "good" or "evil".

In that light, order out of chaos/entropy out of disorder is exactly what the ruling Order does, what it's here to do. What if it does indeed succeed? Is that it, game over for life? Or is it more akin to how Bette Midler so aptly put it: "Just remember in the winter, far beneath the bitter snow. Lies the seed, that with the sun's love, in the spring becomes the Rose".
    Another fractal that is applicable here is the "winter / summer" cycle... While "balance" between duality is always sought, it also generally over corrects; I equate this to a pendulum swing, (a great visual representation of this concept)the more it over corrects one way the sooner it will start to swing back the other way.

I don't think there is an "end state" that will be reached (as in "game over"), more like a continual attempt to guide the path of the "back and forth" motion to a desirable outcome that would align with certain people's (or groups of people's) preferences.

Just remember, all that snow will eventually melt, and water the seed of the rose. (I think it would be a mistake to discount the "snows" influence on the process)

16. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th May 2017), Dreamtimer (4th May 2017), Elen (5th May 2017), modwiz (4th May 2017), sandy (7th May 2017), Wind (10th May 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by TargeT View Post
    I'd suggest watching both these, about a half hour in duration. I can't imaging explaining "this experience" in as detailed a way as was done here in a half hour.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E7Yri6YvFmI

My favorite part (the part I occasionally tap into) is how every experience can be seen as delightful. the separation of identity from BEing, this validates my thoughts on suffering and the purpose of trauma/drama (egoistically satisfying..).

But then I think... Ignorance is bliss... there's a reason for that saying, by understanding this experience to the level shown above, you somewhat rob yourself of the full intensity of the experience (you cap the peaks and fill the valleys)... Maybe I should be viewing the "unwashed masses" with envy rather than pity when considering the commonly held mental situation or level of delusion (IMO).
    Last edited by TargeT, 4th May 2017 at 18:43.

18. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th May 2017), Dreamtimer (5th May 2017), Elen (5th May 2017), modwiz (4th May 2017), PurpleLama (5th May 2017), sandy (7th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,651 Times in 295 Posts
    Re: A rationalist point of view: One of the most knowing, interesting people calling himself a rationalist is Gregg Braden; who has done a lot of work on merging science and spirituality. In contrast to making a God of Science, he tends to show that both are necessary to an intelligent human worldview.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gale Frierson For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th May 2017), Dreamtimer (12th May 2017), Elen (11th May 2017), modwiz (10th May 2017), TargeT (10th May 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Gale Frierson View Post
    Re: A rationalist point of view: One of the most knowing, interesting people calling himself a rationalist is Gregg Braden; who has done a lot of work on merging science and spirituality. In contrast to making a God of Science, he tends to show that both are necessary to an intelligent human worldview.
    I think that is sort of what I'm after as well (though I also think that science is just a way of explaining things, and spirituality is often just a way of acknowledging your intuition/access to higher self knows more than the current science does, at least right now I think that... haha).

This being the small forum that it is I guess I don't really need to post my videos in more than one place, But I did another video for my "Real Rationalist" persona in reference to a recent video Modwiz made about the bill/corey situation.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8jTS5wDMNhY

I'm going to try to make a few more, maybe not all serious..

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (10th May 2017), Elen (11th May 2017), Mahakasyapa (11th May 2017), modwiz (10th May 2017), zendeavor (11th May 2017)

Thanks
    Learned how to animate a title in Adobe Pro today... took about 1 hour to come up with this ( working the graphics, selecting audio and doing the animation):

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THjAb3E0ehQ

Not sure if I'm finished with it, but I think it looks good for the first product of a newly learned skill.

I used YouTube to learn this, here's the video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u3bO...ndex=2&list=WL

I think I need something more dramatic than a fade out.. maybe a static noise and flash to TV static animation like this at the end:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-MH6JZdGZcI

or something else.... haha this is why youtube takes me forever, I'm terrible at creative decisions.

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th May 2017), Dreamtimer (12th May 2017), Elen (12th May 2017), modwiz (11th May 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Like the RR monogram signature (y)

I don't know if it is just me or not but I abhor long musical, imagery, noise, etc before one gets to the information ahead....I tapped into the video for the info not artistry of music, cgi, graphics etc so feel impatient and at times irritated by the presentation even before the information flow begins so find myself forwarding that content often.

Also find endings of longevity useless and time wasters although I am retired and have plenty of time...hahaha but noise and space are not my forte' in opening or closing.

....just my 2 cents worth but because it is an irritant for me, I would pay close attention to such if I had something of value to say, and the skill to make a video.................kudos to both you TargeT and Modwiz.
    Last edited by sandy, 12th May 2017 at 05:04.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (12th May 2017), Dreamtimer (12th May 2017), Elen (12th May 2017), modwiz (12th May 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by sandy View Post
    Like the RR monogram signature (y)
    Thanks, I'm a big fan of simplicity with meaning.. I hope to make the RR into something like that..

Quote Originally posted by sandy View Post
    I abhor long musical, imagery, noise, etc before one gets to the information ahead.
    Haha, i totally agree, even MODWIZ's intro is too much for me.. I was shooting for 4 seconds or less, ended up with 3.. I think that's acceptable.

I took MODWIZ's last video and edited up one of my own (just via editing, no filming) at lunch today... I think videos like this are more along the reason why I wanted to start this channel.

On PA I am often the voice of contention because I try to ground topics and bring a bit of what I consider "reality" to the discussion... I am eventually going to make this my focus for the RealRationalist channel.

one of these days....

this one was fun to make:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EFKLx_E-eXc

I also noticed while making this, I have absolutely no problem making fun of people when they are in even a quasi authoritative position or use "absolute" language on topics while incorporating incorrect information.

I hesitated for a second, and honestly didn't even do that much to make fun of the first two presenters... but I think we need to bring back a modicum of "shame" to this community... people should be ashamed of spreading false information.

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (12th May 2017), Elen (13th May 2017), modwiz (12th May 2017), sandy (12th May 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    In your Real Rationalist discussion, at 18 min., you mention movies and media and the way they encourage people to look for magic and explosions when something important happens when things can be subtle and you need to have presence of mind.

I wanted to quote you:

My first and most useful rule is this: what EVER gets air time on TV is a part of THEIR program; and what ever gets continual coverage is a major agenda and I try to figure out what's the exact opposite of the message and do that.

The accuracy of this method is astounding.
    Rule number one. Got a list somewhere?

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Elen (16th May 2017), modwiz (16th May 2017), TargeT (16th May 2017)