Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Children as young as 13 attending 'smartphone rehab' as concerns grow over screen time

Thanks
    Thanked 43,177 Times in 11,952 Posts
    Interesting, I read this today in a book totally unrelated to the topic...

Technology according to an article featured in OnlineCollege.org in 2012 says research indicates that I.Q.s are going steadily higher, problem solving skills are getting better. The drive for internet 'information' is stimulating the mind but what is startling is that 'memory skills' aren't as refined but the ability to 'access information' is better in the same fashion friends and family can enhance and bolster memory recall. Carl Jung postulated his notion of the 'Collective Unconsciousness' in the early 20th century and futurists suggest that what we are seeing is the actual manifestation of that principle in the form of the web.

I attended a presentation given by Jerry Pournelle the scifi writer, once upon a time and while I found him a very disconcerting individual he did say one thing that I could appreciate. "All kids are capable of learning!"

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd April 2017), Dreamtimer (23rd April 2017), Maggie (22nd April 2017), sandy (23rd April 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    Some comments for all those who are interested in the contents of this thought provoking thread.

I refer as an 'Analogy' = from the Greek word = 'Ratio' rather that outliers. I see a mass of Students/Children/Life Long Learners who are scattered throughout, as those who are gifted. I have invariably encountered many many many Students/Children/Life Long Learners of all ages and commonality is this; Once 'Bullies' are removed from the scenario everyone is willing to help everyone. I have witnessed a classroom come alive with a shared passion. I have also witnessed 'Bullies' and they come in all shapes and ages. I do my best and it can be difficult to work with them both in a professional setting and a private setting. Let's face it they are everywhere.

Ethics is a word I want to mention at this point. Perhaps it can be superimposed upon the word antithetical or antithesis, meaning in direct contrast. Direct contrast to what? That is the question I ask myself.

My personal research indicates this: Unless any article relying on scientific research is based upon a massive control and a massive experiment group - as a solid method of comparison, the research could be (a) a constructed article to allay fears of many many many Parents/Teachers/Concerned Adults, (b) a company/corporation/multi national, with educational interests that bring about financial gain?????

In short, any article that makes a statement about technology and rising Intelligence Quotients needs to state how they come to that conclusion and upon exactly how many Students/People were included in the research. Was it 10 - 100 - 100,000 or a small selection from a particular town/school/random?????

It is all relative (the subject of this particular thread) and needs Lateral Thought - Critical Thought and Creative Thought.

It is interesting to note that the forefathers of psychoanalysis - Yung and Freud - were aligned, with regard to their thinking when forging a path of a new medical speciality. It is my understanding that Freud was paid to focus on sex and Yung remained true to his Spiritual/Emotional/Ethical credo. Freud and his focus have now seen sexuality totally incorporated into the media/entertainment/et cetera. A slow almost undetectable drip feed over the years and I see the results with regard to Students/Children along with our wider society.

I now make my way back to the topic of this thread and will state from a conscientious point of view; Children are now bombarded daily with electronic devices. Beam Ray technology with visuals, ie: television. Those of you who are interested: How many televisions and electronic devices with visual screens and push button devices do you have in your home?

How many of you regularly water an indoor plant? How many of you engage in nature with Children - your own or others - they are all important? I know of instances where it is the Child dragging the Parent/Adult by the arm to go outside.

Technology may help some but it is fraught with dangers and only those who think deeply, critically , laterally and creatively, will be able to use it successfully. There are those who know computer technology well and who have their ethics in place - there are others who have, shall I say as politely as I can, lack of any ethical qualities due to their focus on the financial aspect of what they do???? We live in a time of huge change. I will be there as both a Student and as a Teacher. Hand held devices will be incorporated but they will never replace the passion of a guiding Human Hand or a Human voice who states; 'Well done. Good for You.'

Oh my I am loving this thread. Please know I am keeping my mind open - not so open my mind falls out mind you but open. Thank you everyone - those who are visible and those who are not so visible.

Much Respect & Much Peace - As we seek all answers to all questions - Amanda
    Last edited by Amanda, 23rd April 2017 at 00:34.

4. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (23rd April 2017), Dreamtimer (23rd April 2017), Elen (23rd April 2017), Emil El Zapato (23rd April 2017), sandy (23rd April 2017)