Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Easy path to be a Doer: Just one thing, every day.

Retired Member Virgin Islands
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,254 Times in 356 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by sandy View Post
    Yeah for diversity and nay for genetic manipulation until the day comes when morals and ethics prevail over profits, and power and control to fulfill ego, religious or eugenic aspirations.
    I'm basically just being devils advocate here, since neither one of us has an influence on what will or will not come of CRISPR.

But, this topic is sort of like GMO foods, they run a close parallel.

Human males and females are designed for selective breeding (though, also with a "default" for "acceptable" breeding) already, we naturally are attracted to things that in general are healthier and better for the whole; these are mostly by products of our hormonal system, though some social input certainly effects the decision making process also (very bland, clinical way to look at love, but it is an aspect of it).

we certainly do this for our selfs if we are conscious about diet (though even with out our conscious diet decisions we naturally are attracted to foods that allow us to survive in nature better, a strong attraction to sugars and fats, a wide taste pallet for micro nutriments. aversion to rotten things high in micro organisms that could over power our immune systems etc...)

I guess what I'm trying to say is this:

Humans always perform natural acts, we just excel at becoming highly efficient while doing them due to our intellect.

we cannot comprehend of unnatural acts and everything that we are capable of can be tied back to an example in nature (CRISPR is just us using natures natural process in a way that we desire).

I guess I"m completely ignoring the short term, the moral, anything but basic reality, what is the pattern... what is it comparable to and why would we not let that guide us?

I suppose one could say that we are doing what we were made to do, to do anything less seems abhorrent. Now, will we make mistakes while doing it? absolutely, that's also inherently human. should we not do a thing for the fear of doing it?

my answer to that will always be: never, never let fear restrain you, we are so very capable, we will come out ahead of this; it's already happening (though not in politics or those other contrived/controlled arenas).

Every tool we have at our disposal makes us better as a whole (though there is always room for improvement).
    Last edited by TargeT, 4th April 2017 at 01:09.

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2017), Aragorn (4th April 2017), Dreamtimer (4th April 2017), Elen (4th April 2017), modwiz (14th April 2017), sandy (4th April 2017)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    No neural nets for me.

This is one of my favorite videos of 'doing'

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2017), Aragorn (4th April 2017), Elen (4th April 2017), Kathy (10th June 2018), Maggie (14th April 2017), modwiz (14th April 2017), sandy (5th April 2017), TargeT (4th April 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    No neural nets for me.
    I'm with you there, I don't even like the foreign objects I have in me already; don't need any more. That type of tech is a bridge too far for me.

That guy is amazing, I find his videos very fascinating and I love the silent delivery.

I have a lot of termites, but they don't build mounds here, they build in trees, so I don't think I can do this one

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2017), Aragorn (4th April 2017), Dreamtimer (4th April 2017), Elen (5th April 2017), Kathy (10th June 2018), modwiz (14th April 2017), sandy (5th April 2017)

Thanks
    made a "promo" video of the first ever MMA fights on St Croix (ok, I don't really know what I'm doing so I just put some clips together with music... haha).

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gMFIsl2BOVw

These would be a much needed outlet for a community with a bit too much of a violent tendency, I'm going to make a couple more videos for the guys in the ring (I work with a few of them) so they can have something to save from it (I recorded a few full fights).

I was happy to participate (buying tickets) and will do so again to support it for sure; we had something similar in Alaska and there were a lot of "street" issues settled publicly in the ring which seems like a much better alternative.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2017), Aragorn (4th April 2017), Dreamtimer (4th April 2017), Elen (5th April 2017), Kathy (10th June 2018), modwiz (14th April 2017), sandy (5th April 2017)

Thanks
    Well, last week I learned to weld, this week, time to put it to good use!

10. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2017), Aragorn (14th April 2017), Elen (14th April 2017), Kathy (10th June 2018), Maggie (14th April 2017), modwiz (14th April 2017), sandy (14th April 2017)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by TargeT View Post
    Well, last week I learned to weld, this week, time to put it to good use!

I once dated a guy who wanted to teach me how to weld....sooo I made a BBQ for my mother which was in use for many years until it rusted away. It's a bit like "gluing" things together. It was fun.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2017), Aragorn (14th April 2017), Dreamtimer (14th April 2017), Kathy (10th June 2018), modwiz (14th April 2017), sandy (15th April 2017), TargeT (14th April 2017)

Thanks
    No point in starting something if you don't finish it!

I got some great tips on reddit and applied them, it appears that they worked (and some of them were kind of obvious, haha).

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=__mG-uzlpvM

Quote Originally posted by Elen View Post
    I once dated a guy who wanted to teach me how to weld....sooo I made a BBQ for my mother which was in use for many years until it rusted away. It's a bit like "gluing" things together. It was fun.
    I've been calling it an adult hot glue gun... haha. I've got plans to build a few things so these are just little learning projects.
    Last edited by TargeT, 15th April 2017 at 01:11.

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to TargeT For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (16th April 2017), Aragorn (15th April 2017), Dreamtimer (15th May 2017), Elen (15th April 2017), Kathy (10th June 2018), sandy (15th April 2017)

Thanks
    The people in the town of Millsboro, DE got sick and tired of being sick and did something about it:

For many people on the east coast, Millsboro, Delaware is one of the tiny communities on the way to the beach resorts near the Eastern Shore of the Chesapeake Bay.
    Mountaire (chicken processor) moved into Millsboro promising to bring good jobs and be good neighbors. Instead, they brought polluted air and dirty drinking water

The huge spray machines that roll through those fields are drenching the ground with a rain of blood, feces, feathers and other by-products of slaughtered carcasses. And that spray is seeping into the local aquifer that Millsboro residents rely on for their drinking water.
    A significant number of wells in the nearby community have routinely tested positive for nitrate contamination at levels deemed unsafe by state regulators, and reaching levels proven to increase the risk of serious health problems, including “blue baby syndrome,” some forms of cancer and autoimmune dysfunction. This has been going on since at least 2000.
    After years of broken promises from Mountaire and the Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control, neighbors in Millsboro decided to fight back.
    With the help of organizations like the Socially Responsible Agriculture Project, neighbors talked to neighbors and, pretty soon, the entire Millsboro community was mobilized, determined and ready to speak out.
    After Gina and her neighbors told their story to USA Today and other media outlets, state and federal lawmakers started to take notice.
    Then, earlier this week, the residents’ efforts came full circle: The Delaware Department of Natural Resources and Environmental Control (DNREC) announced it had entered into an agreement with Mountaire to provide clean drinking water to the community, build a state-of-the-art treatment plant to deal with the plant’s waste and to ensure third-party monitoring of ground water and spray fields to ensure proper compliance with the law. In short, much of what the citizens of Millsboro were seeking in their lawsuit.
    The communities impacted by Mountaire’s operations are empowered, organized and insisting on change. Mountaire’s agreement to take any action at all is a direct result of their mobilization, determination and advocacy. It is a stunning reminder of how communities can come together, find their voice, build their power and take on even the most well-moneyed industries in America

My parents did a similar thing forming a group called Citizens for Responsible Land Use to stop overdevelopment in our town. They were successful.

The big baddies can be fought without violence, blaming and division. Or Civil War. Good thing to keep in mind.

16. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (6th June 2018), Aragorn (6th June 2018), Elen (6th June 2018), Kathy (10th June 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Ta Target, needed to see your old post n thread today

Quote Originally posted by TargeT View Post
    So motivation, that's a limited asset, some of us have more than others; I think I'm personally a bit low on the motivation scale.

Starting something was always an issue (and then.. haha, finishing it).

But the joy of being a free willed individual is this: we don't HAVE to give into our emotions (or lack of them) we don't have to do anything we don't want to do.

When I didn't want to be un-motivated (that restless feeling hit me now and then), I just did something; for a while it was random things.. clean a bit or do laundry or something similar.

That helped a bit, but not really; at the time I wasn't super clear on the source of the restless feeling.

So about 4 years ago I decided to "just do one thing a day" (I used to say "one good thing" but I don't think even that distinction is needed), minimum.

But there's two caveats, it has to be public & it has to be in support of your personal philosophy.

Not this hasn't translated into me being a super hero, mostly I pick up trash, or hitch hikers, or help someone with a situation they need help with (pulled many cars out of ditches with my truck... haha). I don't plan it out, I just stay open to what ever comes to me (some times it's just pick up a piece or two of trash, or grab a few grocery carts that are clogging up the public parking and bring them to where they go etc..). If I'm walking somewhere, any trash along the way is a target and most the time I don't have to take more than a step or two extra to do it. (

This is how I started on my "Doer" path, I've modified my personal agreement with myself since then and learned a bit, even started a business based on this idea with my wife about 3 years ago... a habit takes around 4 weeks of repetition and then it just feels natural.

When ever I need a little booster shot of motivation I use media inoculation like this:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YTuElM6T50w

We are amazing, and can literally do anything we put our minds to... go out AND DO!

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (10th June 2018), Dreamtimer (10th June 2018), Elen (10th June 2018), Kathy (10th June 2018)

Thanks
    I never came across this before. I'm used to seeing Shia with a smooth, baby face.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Elen (3rd July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018)

Retired Member Norway
    Thanks
    Thanked 23,318 Times in 5,067 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    I never came across this before. I'm used to seeing Shia with a smooth, baby face.

Dreamtimer... I nearly fell off my chair...

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elen For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Dreamtimer (3rd July 2018), Kathy (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    My Dad grew up in Michigan and Indiana.

He gave money to his high school to start a scholarship (near Grand Rapids). It was not in his name but in the name of his principle who convinced him to even finish HS. My father became quite successful. He recognizes that a good part of his success was finishing school.

His older sister was the first to go to college in the family and she ended up with a PhD.

After establishing the scholarship the school went from sending no kids to college to sending dozens.

My father gave these students a goal and a path and also encouragement. He went there in person yearly until he was physically unable and personally reviewed each application. He also kept in contact with students who had graduated, one of whom was a girl who became a doctor.

This is a very poor community, mostly black.

I wonder how many people in this community have done such things? I'd love to know. (I haven't. Not yet anyway)

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (3rd July 2018), Elen (4th July 2018), Emil El Zapato (21st July 2019), Kathy (3rd July 2018)

Thanks
    I like what this guy is doing.

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st July 2019), Elen (22nd July 2019), Emil El Zapato (21st July 2019)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    That takes some serious imagination....very cool.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st July 2019), Dreamtimer (21st July 2019), Elen (22nd July 2019)

Thanks
    Resin and burls. It makes me want to get a lathe.

Really? A lathe? And where would I put it, I ask myself?

I guess I can fantasize.

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (21st July 2019), Bob (21st July 2019), Elen (22nd July 2019), Emil El Zapato (21st July 2019)