Thread: Empire Files: Chris Hedges & Abby Martin: Trump, the Alt-Right & Christianized Fascism

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts

Empire Files: Chris Hedges & Abby Martin: Trump, the Alt-Right & Christianized Fascism

Description

For the first time in modern history, a fringe wing of Christian extremists have obtained the highest seats of power in the US government—from Mike Pence to Betsy DeVos. This new development is coupled with the emergence of the Alt-Right, the Trump movement, and the rise of fascist movements abroad.

Renowned journalist and author Chris Hedges has embedded himself in what he calls “Christianized Fascism” and warns that this is the biggest danger we face under Trump.

Duration

26 minutes

= DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (9th March 2017), Anastasia (10th March 2017), Dreamtimer (9th March 2017), Elen (10th March 2017), Fred Steeves (9th March 2017), Herbert (9th March 2017), modwiz (9th March 2017), RealityCreation (9th March 2017), sandy (9th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    Watching the focus on the Christian Right, reminded me of my own up close experience with it. The following is an impromptu, on site interview I did with a hardware store owner/Baptist Preacher in a nearby small town nearly 2 years ago now. The story of his "No Gays Allowed" sign on the front door of his business made front page of the local paper, and I was compelled to drive the 45 minutes to see such a thing for myself.

I'm hardly proud of my obvious nervousness at the time, it caused me me stammer much more than usual, and in hindsight bringing my own personal opinion into the story was a rookie mistake. Hardly a journalistic masterpiece, and I wish I had it to do over. However if anyone wants to look into the soul of the Christian Right, here it is. I recall discussing it with a few people close to me, and how I just couldn't shake the horror story vision implanted in my brain as to what this world might look like, should people like this (once again) come to power with little or no constraints.

The video cuts off abruptly because my cell phone battery died, but not because of any unpleasantries. We actually chatted for a couple or so minutes, shook hands, and that was that.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0aSyL4RG6A

TO EDIT: I disagree with Chris Hedges' conclusion that the Christian Right, is much more dangerous than the Alt Right. I think placed together in just the right (pardon the pun ) petri dish, they can and would wind up blending together seamlessly.
    Last edited by Fred Steeves, 9th March 2017 at 23:21.

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (11th March 2017), Aragorn (10th March 2017), Dreamtimer (10th March 2017), Elen (10th March 2017), modwiz (9th March 2017), RealityCreation (11th March 2017), sandy (11th March 2017)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    This is exactly what I've been concerned about for years and my family and friends have been telling me I don't have any basis for my fears. I would constantly hear, "That's the right wing, the fringe. They'll never take over." They had faith. And they were wrong.

Yet again, by the time any of them acknowledge I had a valid concern it'll be too late.

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (11th March 2017), Aragorn (10th March 2017), Elen (12th March 2017), Fred Steeves (10th March 2017), modwiz (11th March 2017), RealityCreation (11th March 2017)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,969 Times in 20,255 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    This is exactly what I've been concerned about for years and my family and friends have been telling me I don't have any basis for my fears. I would constantly hear, "That's the right wing, the fringe. They'll never take over." They had faith. And they were wrong.

Yet again, by the time any of them acknowledge I had a valid concern it'll be too late.
    Story of my life...:

They: "You knew about this?"
    Me: "Yes, of course."
    They: "Well, why didn't you warn us about it then?"
    Me: "I did. You just weren't willing to hear it."

The only thing I ever have faith in anymore these days, is a little something called Murphy's Law. It's the one thing that never fails to live up to its promise.
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

8. The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (11th March 2017), Blacklight43 (10th March 2017), Dreamtimer (10th March 2017), Elen (12th March 2017), Fred Steeves (10th March 2017), JRS (10th March 2017), modwiz (11th March 2017), RealityCreation (11th March 2017), sandy (11th March 2017)

Thanks
    I used to tell my son that when I moved on from this life I was gonna have a few words with Murphy. One day he asked me what I'd say. I replied that we'd probably just have a cup of coffee and laugh about it all...

Let's hope Murphy's going to work on certain types.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (11th March 2017), Aragorn (10th March 2017), Elen (12th March 2017), modwiz (11th March 2017), RealityCreation (11th March 2017)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Fred Steeves View Post
    Watching the focus on the Christian Right, reminded me of my own up close experience with it. The following is an impromptu, on site interview I did with a hardware store owner/Baptist Preacher in a nearby small town nearly 2 years ago now. The story of his "No Gays Allowed" sign on the front door of his business made front page of the local paper, and I was compelled to drive the 45 minutes to see such a thing for myself.

I'm hardly proud of my obvious nervousness at the time, it caused me me stammer much more than usual, and in hindsight bringing my own personal opinion into the story was a rookie mistake. Hardly a journalistic masterpiece, and I wish I had it to do over. However if anyone wants to look into the soul of the Christian Right, here it is. I recall discussing it with a few people close to me, and how I just couldn't shake the horror story vision implanted in my brain as to what this world might look like, should people like this (once again) come to power with little or no constraints.

The video cuts off abruptly because my cell phone battery died, but not because of any unpleasantries. We actually chatted for a couple or so minutes, shook hands, and that was that.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p0aSyL4RG6A

TO EDIT: I disagree with Chris Hedges' conclusion that the Christian Right, is much more dangerous than the Alt Right. I think placed together in just the right (pardon the pun ) petri dish, they can and would wind up blending together seamlessly.
    I don't think the alt right is this stupid. Great video!

12. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Anastasia For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (11th March 2017), Aragorn (10th March 2017), Elen (12th March 2017), Fred Steeves (10th March 2017), modwiz (11th March 2017), RealityCreation (11th March 2017)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,406 Times in 1,137 Posts
    Ignorant is ignorant and thus labels only add to it.............

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sandy For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (11th March 2017), Aragorn (11th March 2017), Dreamtimer (11th March 2017), Elen (12th March 2017), modwiz (11th March 2017), RealityCreation (11th March 2017)

Thanks
    True that, sandy. "Alt-left"? It's a joke. There's no such thing. But you'll see that label being thrown around.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (11th March 2017), Elen (12th March 2017), sandy (12th March 2017)