Thread: Kim Jong-nam assassination: Malaysia to charge Indonesian and Vietnamese women over killing

Retired Member Australia
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,605 Times in 252 Posts

Kim Jong-nam assassination: Malaysia to charge Indonesian and Vietnamese women over killing

I couldn't see this posted anywhere so I hope I'm not doubling up.

This actually took place a couple of weeks ago on February 13th 2017 - Kim Jong-nam is Kim Jong- un's half brother.

Two women — an Indonesian and a Vietnamese — will be charged with murder over their alleged involvement in the killing of the estranged half-brother of North Korea's leader
    at Kuala Lumpur's main airport, Malaysia's Attorney-General says.

Key points:

The women have been charged with an offence that carries the death penalty

Police are also holding one North Korean man and have identified seven others wanted in connection with the case

Malaysia is considering expelling North Korea's envoy or shutting its embassy in Pyongyang

Police said the women smeared VX nerve agent, a chemical on a UN list of weapons of mass destruction, on Kim Jong-nam's face in an assault recorded on airport security cameras on February 13.

US and South Korean officials believe Mr Kim was the victim of an assassination orchestrated by North Korea.

He had criticised the regime of his family and his half-brother Kim Jong-un in the past, and had been living in exile under Beijing's protection in the Chinese territory of Macau.

While Malaysian police arrested Doan Thi Huong and Siti Aishah in the days after the attack, they are also holding one North Korean man and have identified seven other North Koreans wanted in connection with the case.

Attorney-General Mohamed Apandi Ali said the North Korean in custody would not be charged yet — his remand period ends on Friday.

The security camera footage, which has been released in the media, showed two women assaulting Mr Kim in the departure hall of Kuala Lumpur International Airport, and the victim
    stumbling into a medical clinic. He died within 20 minutes of the assault.

Both women told diplomats from their countries they had been paid to take part in what they believed was a prank for a reality TV show.

The Attorney-General said the women would be formally charged on Wednesday under section 302 of the penal code, which carries the death penalty.

"I can confirm that," he wrote in a text message.

Full article & video of attack - http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-2...nation/8311810

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RealityCreation For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th February 2017), Elen (28th February 2017)