Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 234567 LastLast

Thread: Grace Under Pressure

Thanks
    Thanked 12,015 Times in 2,615 Posts
    I know this video won't go down very well here, but all I can say is that according to law, this is one mightily impressive example of standing one's ground based on their basic rights as a U.S. citizen:
    The unexamined life is not worth living.

Socrates

2. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Fred Steeves For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th March 2020), Aragorn (26th March 2020), Dreamtimer (28th March 2020), Elen (1st July 2020), modwiz (26th March 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    Wow - what a power packed thread. The woman in the pink top a few pages back - she was impressive. She did not pick anything up and throw it - she did not hurt anyone and was quite articulate. She did not um and arh. Awesome show of the peaceful art of fighting with words.

As a former operational officer I have seen both sides. I never worked with anyone who went too far - so - I cannot comment first hand on Police violence. The videos here are very compelling.

This is the reason Police always work in pairs. Attended a residence and could see and hear big vicious dogs. To cut to the chase; The POI threatened to set the dogs on to me. My partner was behind me. I was staying calm and did not reach for my weapon because he was using words and the gate was not open and his hands were not yet on the latch of the gate. I was however thinking of my next move. My partner had my back - he had already pulled his firearm.

Another time in the main street surrounded by a crowd (they never help trust me) a man who has been lawfully arrested - informed why and asked to get into the back of the truck - starts shaping up. Like a boxer - fists up and he's ready to fight. Largest officer (bigger than the POI) is keeping his attention - I stay close to assist and let him handle the situation. Another officer has the truck door open and is standing in position. Essentially it is getting worse. I don't interfere with my senior officer - the one with the attention of the violent POI - but - I ask him if he wants me to pull my pepper spray. He says no - so I follow my senior officer. It went from getting worse to violent. We were trying to restrain him - no batons no weapons. Eventually another (senior to me) had no option but to use the pepper spray.

Mentally ill People are particularly tricky. This is a true story - with every respect for the lady and her parents. I won't go into how we got her into the back of the truck - she bit my male partner. But at least she's in the prisoner part - I am in the back seat to keep my eye on her while my partner drives up front. We are headed to the hospital so she can see a doctor and get the help she needs. We both showed her every respect.

I ask my partner - please drive extra carefully - avoid potholes and bumps if you can - you won't believe why. The lady had stripped off and was just tall enough to have the palms of her hands up against one side of the truck and her feet pressed against the other. She was rigid. You could have hung a coathanger on her. We get her to the hospital safely and the medical staff are incredibly professional. Try to picture this - she has already bitten my partner - several of us are holding her down as she has not had her medication and is scared and violent. Police and medical staff are all around her holding her down. I am at her head and pulling her hair hard (because I had to) she had also already bitten one of the nurses. That is why we stayed.

This is the part that was never in my training . By the time the lady is on the table and has two Police and several medical staff forcibly holding her down - to assist the doctor to give her the correct dose of her medication - I look up and see the ladies father. His face is ash grey and nothing but angst while watching his daughter. I don't where this came from - I am still holding her hair so tight and pulling it down and everyone else is holding her in place (with two bitten).

I looked at the father and said: Come and give her a kiss and say goodbye before the ambulance takes her to the hospital. (The one and hour and half drive away with a dedicated psych ward). I said: She's still your daughter.

So don't lose all faith. Some Police are calm under pressure and others are not. I do think that it takes a certain mentality to handle whatever your shift brings. Not everyone is suited to having a gun on their hip and a badge of authority.

Just sharing a little of my experience. In my training (academic based) the firearms exam had an 80% pass mark instead of the regular 50%. Most terrifying exam I ever took. Also in the state I was an operational Police officer - you could not shoot a fleeing felon. In other words if someone is running away from you - by law you cannot fire your gun. Even a Police officer will be charged and placed before the court.

Violent Police - not much better than psychopaths and narcissists - they leave a trail of destruction in their wake.

Much Respect - Amanda

4. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (26th March 2020), Aragorn (26th March 2020), Dreamtimer (28th March 2020), Elen (1st July 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    ok, here we go again...I resent cops period...despite been surrounded by them (literally as well as not) for much of my life...relatives, friends, newly discovered family etc. I have plenty of history...I don't find them worth discussing because 'copness' is not the issue, authoritarian small peepee syndrome is.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

6. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th June 2020), Aragorn (27th March 2020), Dreamtimer (28th March 2020), Elen (1st July 2020)

Thanks
    Not that it matters most of the time not even to me unless confronted with it, I can be in the 'presence' of an authoritarian personality without having ever met them and start feeling 'anxious' and angry...it's true
    Last edited by Emil El Zapato, 26th March 2020 at 11:47.

8. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th June 2020), Aragorn (27th March 2020), Dreamtimer (28th March 2020), Elen (1st July 2020)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    Not A Pretender - I get you and your comments. I had a childhood with plenty of Police presence but I never wanted to be one until I was looking to turn my life around. My singing et cetera career did not happen - too naive and I am okay with that and that time of my life.

A person in my life suggested Policing as it was about to be tranferred to an academic based training - I made it into the second undergraduate class. I loved the fact that my brain was stimulated - going to work meant never knowing what might happen and you would have to have your wits about you.

It was not an epiphany or anything grand that made me leave - it was simply a chance situation that opened my Critical Thinking in an instant. I was Custody Manager and was releasing a Prisoner. Custody records can be brought into evidence in court so you have to dot your i's and cross your t's - has to be managed properly. Keep in mind I was in a country setting and not a metropolitan station and was given way more authority and responsibilities than my classmates. That was simply due to staff numbers. I had to think clearly all the time.

So - I am releasing a Prisoner and they have to sign several documents and write out their address and name - not just a signature. The Prisoner started to write and threw the pen down and said: I can't write. I thought quickly and wrote it all out on scrap paper and coached him to copy what I had written. He was a little slow but he did what I asked. It was a defining moment: Maybe I should be Teaching People how to read and write instead of locking them up.

I want to add this Not A Pretender - once I was accepted and telling friends - this comment used to make me cross. I would correct everyone who made the comment. It was always when there were Children present; Look out or behave Amanda is a Police Woman. I would ask People to not scare the Children - one day they may need a Police officer to help them - it's not all about arresting and rough and tumble and gunfights.

Then I learned via my whistleblower journey that many many many Police are involved in abuse. Management is to blame and here is a first person example.

The Youth Liaison Officer was going on leave for a few weeks. Cleared it with the Inspector/Boss and I was given those duties on top of my General Duties. I was a fish in water. Not long afterwards the (internal) position became vacant. I applied. Short version - as a junior officer I just wanted to have an interview and get the feel of how the internal system operated. Being so junior I did not expect to get the position.

The position was given to a male officer in the next city - sometimes I worked there when they were short on staff. Moving forward in time - I've kept up my university enrolment and am already studying to be a Teacher. I eventually resign from the Police. I am in the car listening to the radio and hear a news article about a police officer (from that station) who has been charged and found guilty of Child Sexual Abuse. I was not a Police officer then but I recall a senior officer quietly telling me this after I did not even get an interview let alone the Youth position.

The male officer who had been given the vacant internal position was getting a lot of complaints from the public. Seems he did not have very good communication skills. He was given the position so he would be dealing with Youth and not adults. They thought they were solving a problem. Turns out he was one of those paedophiles (there are many specific varieties) who targets single mothers. He had targeted a mother with a daughter about 12years old I think. She told her mother straight away and the mother acted straight away.

So there you have it Not A Pretender et al - that account always makes me shake my head in wonder. I get why People don't like the Police.

Not all Police are bad or violent loving sadists and I met an incredible good one online once during my whistleblowing. He joined the Police at a very large metro location like New York or somewhere like that - cannot recall where but I recall what he disclosed. He joined the masons/illuminati/cabal/whatever - he went to the meetings et cetera and then one time he was taken to a Child Abuse/Sacrifice. He had to hold his face while present but internally he was wounded. He was never the same and you could tell by his voice that he never got over it.

Much Respect - Amanda

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th June 2020), Aragorn (27th March 2020), Dreamtimer (28th March 2020), Elen (1st July 2020), Emil El Zapato (26th March 2020)

Thanks
    Hi Amanda,

very worthy tale...I will view you very differently from here on...

12. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th June 2020), Amanda (27th March 2020), Aragorn (27th March 2020), Dreamtimer (28th March 2020), Elen (1st July 2020)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    David Grossman has a lot to answer for in terms of police brutality. We would do well in this country to rethink this approach.

14. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th June 2020), Aragorn (24th June 2020), Elen (1st July 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th June 2020), Wind (24th June 2020)

Thanks
    The (above mentioned) retired Army ranger and former West Point instructor has been teaching his classes for more than two decades.

He focuses on a concept he’s dubbed “killology,” or the study of killing, and uses it to teach officers to kill with less hesitation.

“I am convinced from a lifetime of study, if you fully prepare yourself, in most cases killing is just not that big of a deal. For a mature warrior who has prepared their self’s mind, body and spirit for a lifetime, for a mature warrior whose killing represents a clear and present danger to others, it’s just not that big of a deal,” Grossman said in 2015, while speaking in front of a group in a segment filmed for the 2016 police militarization documentary “Do Not Resist.”

Grossman also enticed his audience by noting that killing can lead to great sex.

Grossman, who did not respond to multiple requests for comment from Insider, is part of a larger industry of controversial militarised and fear-based police training educators, that also includes psychologist William Lewinski at the Force Science Institute in Minnesota, whose work has been called “pseudoscience” by the American Journal of Psychology.

Source

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (30th June 2020), Aragorn (24th June 2020), Elen (1st July 2020), Emil El Zapato (24th June 2020), Wind (24th June 2020)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,452 Times in 10,162 Posts
    Beautifullll share thankyou Amanda

18. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th June 2020), Elen (1st July 2020)

Thanks
    Here's how police take down a man with a knife, I mean machete, without having to shoot him multiple times.

20. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (28th October 2020), Elen (2nd November 2020), Emil El Zapato (28th October 2020), Wind (28th October 2020)

Thanks
    Beau talks about Kentucky police and how they are being trained to be warriors as opposed to peace officers. How they are being trained not to 'degenerate' into being like the populace.

And some smart high school students.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd November 2020), Elen (3rd November 2020), Emil El Zapato (2nd November 2020), Wind (3rd November 2020)

Thanks
    No grace, period!

24. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd November 2020), Dreamtimer (2nd November 2020), Elen (3rd November 2020), Wind (3rd November 2020)

Thanks
    Did you listen? Beau knows his stuff and so can give good analyses.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (2nd November 2020), Elen (3rd November 2020), Emil El Zapato (2nd November 2020), Wind (3rd November 2020)

Thanks
    What do you do when you're a nine-year-old? Who already has handcuffs on? And is nine?

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (1st February 2021), Elen (2nd February 2021), Emil El Zapato (1st February 2021), Wind (1st February 2021)

Thanks
    Thanked 80,968 Times in 20,254 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Dreamtimer View Post
    What do you do when you're a nine-year-old? Who already has handcuffs on? And is nine?
    Luckily, both the mayor and the chief of police have condemned the actions by those police officers. (It was in the news over here.)
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

30. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (3rd February 2021), Elen (2nd February 2021), Emil El Zapato (1st February 2021), Wind (1st February 2021)