Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Comets comets all the way down

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 7,661 Times in 1,264 Posts

Comets comets all the way down

My deep knowing is that we are consciousness in vehicles for the experience.
    The expansion of consciousness IN the physical is mysterious because I am not certain how issues like cometary ELEs and "resets" of civilization work. My questions have led me to look at comets in the "past" and the global effects recalled, along with "catastrophobia" that seems to have worked on our human subconsious sense. The difficulty of the life experience is that it is temporary and ephemeral IMO. It seems to have a collective ongoing-ness that is desirable!

When I was at PA I made a thread on "Atlantis off the Americas" and researched that along with the 12,800-11,600-ish time period of catyclysm, catyclysm that seemed to end the ice age, there are other Big events. They produced major (and recorded) but more localized effects. I finally came to a sort of certainty that as far as a timeline of seeming earth history interruptions, "It's comets, comets, all the way down".

The information that Randall Carlson and Graham Hancock are discussing includes an idea that we COULD mitigate cometary disasters IF we study the field and as with Tunguska, we may be shown that these large "hits" come even as often as once or twice a century! SO we might be wanting to expand consciousness in the techie way we have developed and avoid near ELEs NOW? Learning how we might deflect bollides which are in the solar system and endangering "continuing life" in form seems attractive.

There IS part of me that is wondering how this all fits with my interest in consciousness. I am knowing that LIFE is eternal, formless and multi-dimensional but also has this physical component? Even if the physical world is just the skin of the apple, maybe we can work with this layer in some constructive proactive way by new paradigms like scientists of the Comet Research Group are developing?

Open to all comments on comets hehe.

From Graham Hancock:

I’ll be appearing on the Joe Rogan Experience on Tuesday 15 November with Randall Carlson for 3 hours of controversy and breaking news concerning the hidden past, and the future, of humanity. We’re scheduled to start at 1.30 pm Pacific Time on the 15th and the conversation will be on Youtube and I-tunes thereafter.

Randall and I will, amongst other matters, be raising issues in this podcast concerning the Younger Dryas comet impacts 12,800 years ago, and the implications for the rediscovery of Earth’s lost civilization of the investigations now underway by the scientists of the Comet Research Group. Please check out and please support the Comet Research Group’s crowdfunding campaign, which I have kicked off this morning with a personal donation. Please join me! Anything you can give, no matter how small, makes a difference because when we get together we are strong. The message that needs to be sent from this campaign is that even though the dominator agencies of our society say NO we the people say YES and in large enough numbers to make our voices heard: You will find all relevant links and further information on this page: http://grahamhancock.com/comet-research-group/

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0H5LCLljJho

You can send a PayPal donation to allen7633@aol.com
    Please mark it as a "donation to Comet Research Group."

Thanks so much for your generousity. With your help, we are well on our way to reaching the first stage of our funding, the expedition to the "Sunken Crater" in Canada. I've attached an image of the site we are planning to visit, after the weather gets better in the spring. The image is a sonar survey of the underwater area that clearly shows the outline of the crater, which has a diameter of 4 km, or just under 3 miles. It is a chilling thought that the crater is probably larger than a city or town near where you live.

We are working on a donor page on the Comet Research Group website, and when it is ready, we will add everyone's name to it, except those who opted to remain anonymous. It's our way of saying "thanks for your help." Also, if you have selected other perks, please be patient – we have to wait until nearer to the end of the campaign, so that we can place a large order all at once. That helps us save money that can be used for research.

Once again, thanks for your interest and support! Please tell your friends, family, and associates about this project, and help spread the word on social media.

Regards,
    Allen West, PhD
    VP, Comet Research Group
    Last edited by Maggie, 18th November 2016 at 22:05.

2. The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th October 2018), Aragorn (19th November 2016), Dreamtimer (21st November 2016), Dumpster Diver (22nd September 2018), Elen (21st September 2018), Gio (19th November 2016), Herbert (23rd November 2016), lcam88 (18th November 2016), lookbeyond (19th November 2016), modwiz (19th November 2016), Woody (19th November 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 4,133 Times in 710 Posts

spelling error

Hi Maggie, thanks for your post. Wouldnt it be wonderful if we could use our consciousness to deflect or lessen catastrophic ELE events. I having done a fair share of reading on this topic tend to feel that it is natures way of giving Planet Earth a good clean out. This sadly brings me to the conclusion that we are at the mercy of the forces of nature/universe.. I wonder if our planet was a place of peace and love, respect for all things living if nature would lessen her harshness with us.

4. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lookbeyond For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th October 2018), Aragorn (19th November 2016), Dreamtimer (21st November 2016), Dumpster Diver (22nd September 2018), Elen (21st September 2018), Gio (19th November 2016), modwiz (19th November 2016), Woody (19th November 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by lookbeyond View Post
    Hi Maggie, thanks for your post. Wouldnt it be wonderful if we could use our consciousness to deflect or lessen catastrophic ELE events. I having done a fair share of reading on this topic tend to feel that it is natures way of giving Planet Earth a good clean out. This sadly brings me to the conclusion that we are at the mercy of the forces of nature/universe.. I wonder if our planet was a place of peace and love, respect for all things living if nature would lessen her harshness with us.
    Yes!!! Maybe it all is so much BIGGER than human awareness. Yet, strangely human awareness has a mythologic aspect that is profound
    We are HUGE but in human body we have shrunk and been imprinted by catastrophe IMO. WHY and what for???? That we (and other animals) can be observing ourselves is remarkable in itself. I just wonder at it all....
    It seems to me that the loss of our GREAT beingness come from trauma and MAYBE we are getting well again?

I don't know if this is exactly on target but the Thunderbolts project (a perspective that I don't know GH and RC have ever weighed in on), is suggesting there was once a whole change in the configuration of the solar system. The Electric Universe theory suggests:

The Electric Universe puts forth a very different hypothesis on the origins of both comets and asteroids. In an epoch of planetary instability in our solar system, many planets and moons, moving through the electric field of the Sun and immersed in an electrically dynamic environment, experienced electrical interactions with one another. Electric arcs shattered small moons and raked across planetary surfaces, producing the most dramatic scarring features we see on planetary bodies. These electrical scars include Valles Marineris, the stupendous chasm that stretches more than 3000 miles across the Martian surface. In this view the comets and asteroids we observe are leftovers from these violent electric discharge events. And the composition of comets is from the same material that planets and moons were formed.

This vision of planetary history would help explain the presence of main-belt comets , a mystery to mainstream astronomers. A 2007 Space.com report asks the question, “Why are comets so close to the Sun?” The report reads, “Until their discovery, researchers had largely supposed no comets could have lasted that close to the sun without getting baked away after a few centuries or millennia.” But then again, if the electrical theorists are correct, comets have not been around for billions of years, not even millions of years. They are the residue of catastrophe in the recent history of the solar system.
    There is a suggestion that a resulting death cult, "the Cult of Saturn" is an embedded collectively active psycho-spiritual dis-ease reaction from a overwhelmingly horrific original dooms day?

Mythology as natural history, and human history as occult ritual.
    The Saturn Death Cultis an investigation into ancient planetary upheavals that heralded the birth and destruction of a fabled Golden Age following which mankind then degenerated into the obsessive pursuit of wealth and power through the perverted horrors of slavery, child sacrifice and mass-murder rituals.
    I don't know that this is the case but SOMETHING in this explanation makes sense....and I have faith in teleology.... that there is Divine "reason" pulling us toward health.
    This is David Talbot 1996 "Remembering the End of the World"

Based on more than two decades of systematic research and cross-cultural comparison by comparative mythologist David Talbott, Remembering the End of the World reconstructs a cosmic drama when planets hung in the sky close to the earth--an epoch of celestial wonder giving way to overwhelming terror.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oophJNlP-fk

When I say that it's comets all the way down, I mean that civilization HAS declined from a previously more refined state. Not only do we have the losses but we have the continued inability to let ourselves recall the trauma.
    I have respect for Immanuel Velikovky's synthetic intelligence. This is from a talk he gave

Cultural Amnesia

The Submergence of Terrifying Events in the Racial Memory and their Later Emergence

"....The catastrophe of the second millennium has been remembered on very many pages of the Biblical Prophets and the Psalms. Our whole life is pervaded by influences originating in these and other catastrophic events that took place in earlier ages. The catastrophes survive in the liturgy still used today, only we choose not to examine them as such. Whatever area of life we select to explore we find some vestige of the terrifying events of the past. The calendar is a good example, either the Jewish calendar or the Christian calendar or that of any other creed. Throughout the year the holidays are reflections of catastrophic events. The midwinter holiday celebrated as either Christmas or Hanukkah, the Week of Light, is a renewal of the Roman Saturnalia.

If you read about the Roman Saturnalia you recognize immediately almost all of the rites of Hanukkah or Christmas, now celebrated at the end of December. They commemorate events of the days when the planet Saturn exploded into a nova, long before the events that I describe in Worlds in Collision. Seven days before the Universal Deluge began, the solar system became illuminated as brilliantly as if by a hundred suns.

In the Deluge, not only the Earth but other planets of the solar system were engulfed. Nature was wanton: the destruction was great. Mars, Mercury, and the Moon, as the space pictures now reveal, became flying cemeteries. Nothing living remained, although probably there was once life on those planets — its destruction was complete. In comparison, the Earth fared well and thus mankind could call itself the “Chosen People” : not because all men survived, not because there was no destruction; in fact there was decimation, even extinction of whole genera, and massive mutations, caused mainly by cosmic rays and X-rays emitted by Saturn.

Subsequent to the Deluge an environment was created on Earth in which life could not only exist, but could flourish, with an abundance of water, a change of climate with changed seasons, with a magnetosphere now giving protection from cosmic rays and an ionosphere giving protection from ultraviolet rays. The new orbit the Earth circled was not too close to the Sun, not too far from it, a climate unlike that of Mars (too cold) or Venus (too hot).

The Universal Deluge was not the first catastrophe to decimate life on our Earth: other calamities preceded it. Dim memories from these more ancient times survive in mythology. Before the age of Kronos (Saturn’s “Golden Age”) there was the age of Ouranos. Egyptian myths of great antiquity relate stories of battles and changes in the sky and of vast destruction on Earth, changes that we neglect to investigate and know in our desire to believe that we live on a planet that is stable and safe.

Amnesia

The phenomenon of racial amnesia occupied Freud’s mind in the last decades of his life, in fact it became his obsession.

Initially Freud claimed that the impressions made upon a child’s mind dictate the child’s future and cause also neuroses in juvenile and adult life. Later Freud reversed his thesis and claimed that man’s destiny is triggered by images which exist within the racial memory, deep within the unconscious mind.

From psychoanalytic studies we know that a traumatic experience, either of a physical or psychological nature, leaves a strong vestige deep within the human soul. Such vestiges are in the heritage that comes to us from antiquity. They are found in most of the written documents that survive from the civilizations of the past; from Mexico, China, Iceland, Iran, India, Sumeria, Rome, Greece, Egypt, and ) idea. They also survive from traditions carried from generation to generation, by word of mouth, in races that do not know how to write. These latter traditions eventually are written down by anthropologists, who collect together stories of catastrophes from north and south, from west and east, from Lapland and the South Sea Islands. We ask why we do not recognize this evidence the vestiges of which exist within the souls of men. The answer is that because these vestiges are buried so deeply we are unable to see the evidence before us.....

......Because of man’s aversion to knowing his past, science has been greatly retarded, pretending unreality to be as truth. This explains the fury of the opposition that declared war on my book. Worlds in Collision. If the book were fantasy, would it not have had its season and died down? It has not died down. It survives. But scientists have not investigated my claims nor tested the evidence presented, nor have they searched for new evidence. Instead, scientists have chosen to oppose me and my book in most ingenious ways, substituting name-calling and mockery for discussing and testing. Scientists are followers of a cult, defending dogmas with which they do not wish to part. Scientists have proclaimed these dogmas to be established laws, when in reality they are nothing but views, and erroneous ones at that.
    Last edited by Maggie, 19th November 2016 at 03:42.

6. The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th October 2018), Aragorn (19th November 2016), Dreamtimer (21st November 2016), Elen (21st September 2018), Gio (19th November 2016), lookbeyond (20th November 2016), modwiz (19th November 2016), Woody (19th November 2016)

Thanks
    So, POSSIBLY having felt deep betrayal, IMO, some of us may have shut down the energetic connectedness we have to earth? Then some others have a substitute energy supply.

IMO UNLESS we simultaneously take a cosmic perspective and also use our resources of earthly response, we will just stay in reactive denial. The trauma secondary to living in a body on a planet in a cosmos with a life of ITS own, will be ongoing. The disease will never heal. But IMO IF we can acknowledge the illness, the dark buried fear and rage, we can start connecting again with the earth IMO.

And that does not promise anything about catyclysm EXCEPT that we might be better positioned to place our attention where it is needed. Denial is NOT a river but a desert.

1014 AD impact event causes Atlantic tsunami and end of Aztec’s Fourth Sun?

The Anglo-Saxon Chronicle states that in England 1014 AD, on the eve of St. Michael’s day (September 28, 1014) “came the great sea-flood, which spread wide over this land, and ran so far up as it never did before, overwhelming many towns, and an innumerable multitude of people.” This is clearly a reference to a tsunami similar to the one that struck Indonesia in December 2004 which killed over 250,000 people.

What could have caused this tsunami? Could a meteor or comet impact in the Atlantic Ocean have been the cause? Researcher Dallas Abbott of the Lamont Doherty Earth Observatory at Columbia University discovered material in a bog at Black Rock Forest in Cornwall, New York that “is difficult to explain except with an impact event.” This material included impact glass and spherules that can only be created by the forces associated with a meteor or comet impact as well as marine sediments and fossils that were determined to have come from the mid-Atlantic ridge, over 3800 kilometers from Black Rock Forest. Abbott noted that “because these locations are so far away from Black Rock Forest, the only viable method for transporting the material to Black Rock Forest is an impact event.”

In other words, the evidence suggests that a comet or meteor slammed into the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and ejected material from the bottom of the ocean which flew over 3800 kilometers and landed in the bog at Black Rock Forest in New York. The material at Black Rock was dated to around 1014 AD. Abbott also noted that such an impact event would have also created a tsunami that would’ve radiated out in all directions from the point of impact thus she began looking for evidence of such a tsunami.

1014 tsunami map

In addition to the afore-mentioned tsunami in England on September 28, 1014 Abbott also found tsunami deposits in the Lesser Antilles in the Caribbean that also dated to around 1014 AD. By noting the angle of the tsunami deposits in both England and the Lesser Antilles, Abbott was able to deduce the probable location of the impact in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean. This also shows that the tsunami impacted the coastlines on both sides of the Atlantic and thus affected millions of people living along those coasts. This is likely the origins of the Aztec myth relating to the destruction of the Fourth Sun by a flood around 1011 AD as recorded on the Aztec Calendar Stone.

Abbott also noted there was a “prominent ammonium anomaly,” i.e., an increase in ammonia in the atmosphere, as represented in Antarctic ice core data associated with the year 1014 AD. This same spike in atmospheric ammonia can be seen associated with two other known impact events: Tunguska, Russia on June 30, 1908 and the Brazilian Tunguska of August 13, 1930. This provides more supporting evidence for an impact event in 1014 AD.

The date of the tsunami, falling on the eve of St. Michael’s Day, is also interesting. The legends surrounding the Biblical character of Michael sound very reminiscent of an impact event:

“there was war in heaven. Michael and his angels fought against the dragon, and the dragon and his angels fought back. But he was not strong enough, and they lost their place in heaven. The great dragon was hurled down – that ancient serpent called the devil, or Satan, who leads the whole world astray. He was hurled to the earth, and his angels with him.”

If the “dragon” was a comet and his “angels” were fragments of the comet as it broke up in the atmosphere then the story is a perfect metaphor for an impact event. Yet this passage from the book of Revelation was written over 2,000 years ago, a thousand years BEFORE the impact event of 1014 AD. So why was September 28 already associated with Michael? This suggests that Earth has experienced a previous cosmic impact on September 28 during a previous era which was the basis of the story in Revelation and the reason the date was devoted to Michael, the hero of the impact allegory. Thus could there be a predictable cycle of such impacts? Instead of viewing the ancient writings as prophecies could they be closer to forecasts based on a predictable cycle?http://therealmayanprophecies.com/10.../#.WC_bndUrLIV
    And no matter what details of the past events, the legacy of how we responded is discussed here:

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-A2JPQoTgQ
    Last edited by Maggie, 19th November 2016 at 04:15.

8. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th October 2018), Aragorn (19th November 2016), Dreamtimer (21st November 2016), Elen (21st September 2018), Gio (19th November 2016), lookbeyond (20th November 2016), Woody (19th November 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,204 Times in 1,932 Posts
    I suggest reading the works of Chris Thomas - author and healer. He writes about the Tgunski blast, comets etc.

The Earth can protect Herself/us from catastrophic asteroids etc. Comets are concious. Roughly that of a dog. They deliver organisms to planets.

We, snd our poor choices, are much more the problem really.

10. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Orbs For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th October 2018), Dreamtimer (21st November 2016), Elen (21st September 2018), lookbeyond (20th November 2016), Maggie (21st November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    I like this thread for this interview. Randall Carlson was on Grimerica last year in May (and other times).

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0PIRz2tv6nk

More than once Randall referenced and article he wrote called "Redemption of the Beast". It's good, lots of science but not at all inaccessible.

He refers to carbon as the 'beast' because it has six protons, six electrons, and six neutrons.

12. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th October 2018), Aragorn (21st September 2018), Elen (21st September 2018)

Thanks
    Hi Dreamy,
    Thanks for bumping the thread. I am going to shamelessly highlight my old thread on pA "It's comets, comets, all the way down".

There is some good info still there and one is the links I gave for historically placed "medium" catyclysms that only effected smaller areas but wiped out "civilizations". I recall in my research that around the same time periods large swaths of earth were destroyed. There is volcanism, flood, earthquake AND apparently "smalllish" heavenly bodies crashing. What I suspect is that yes, the historic record has been swiped and down played for some reason? But I am not able to figure out a reason that is not useless. It may be twisted this history we received but there are so many clear facts that show we are basically wastrel's NOW. The modern world is wasting all its potential to never lose civilization again.

I am not committed to any one view on the metaphysical record or the historic saga. I am absolutely convinced that we act in the most stupid deluded manner that we should go about buying and selling all the day long, that competition for power and prestige actually mean anything. What we have as a collective "culture" of modern life has addressed some really important points but IMO wherever you look, you see that as soon as times get very hard, people cannot rise up to the successful reorganizing. People kill each other just for nothing except a moment's meal even now.

I cannot help but fear pain from desperate people but i also hate the "lords" who look to raise their army and dictate what their minions do. It is probably not off base to think the movie the "Road" could be a prophetic nightmare? Brute strength is the power of warlords and weapons.

We are woefully unprepared for perturbation and that is the name of the game in 3D. I will slit my writs rather than become a cannibal or kill another so that I live. To me this is one question that I really needed to face when i realized that life is tenuous. I will not enjoy cataclysm but I am fairly certain that it COULD happen. It won't do much good to save seeds when the break up of civilization happens UNLESS you have some farmers ready.

The way I see it, preppers have it only half way because they ARE attempting to move off grid. But IMO it would be better if everyone who was actually sincere about the continuing of civilization were already living BIGGER in communities. I amtalking about caverns with our stuff in it now to grow without sun. I am talking about more than some reactive group who are barricading... but one with JOBS ready to do and basic skills PLUS the best tech we know about that can be replicated by human hands. Civilization to continue needs knowledge and a way to feed MANY. There will be no havens unless we create them in advance for those who are ready. All the hoards of others who will be grasping for desperate measures will need REAL alternatives and a strength that is not in weapons to fight others. I am not blaming myself for failing to create such a haven.

I wish I could but I admit I am feeling a bit powerless about my social world. I actually feel compassion that others are oblivious to the fragile place where we stand. I feel ready for an ending of this civilization. I hope I die right away because I plan to slit my wrists in the woods when people with guns are marauding in insane fear,. I am not too worried but I cherish the days that see all my pets and me safely home and not in a hurricane.
    Last edited by Maggie, 23rd September 2018 at 01:09.

14. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th October 2018), Aragorn (23rd September 2018), Dreamtimer (23rd September 2018), Elen (23rd September 2018)

Thanks
    Thanks Maggie. I'm looking at the thread now. It's rich, as your posts are.

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th October 2018), Aragorn (23rd September 2018), Elen (23rd September 2018)

Thanks
    This is a very well researched look at 3100 BC's world wide coincident evidence of a major world transition.

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=seVieyiTBbk

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th October 2018), Aragorn (26th September 2018), Dreamtimer (22nd October 2018), Elen (26th September 2018)

Thanks
    This focuses on Sacred Geometry and the cycles of the system we live in.

20. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (25th October 2018), Aragorn (22nd October 2018), Elen (23rd October 2018)

Thanks
    Ben of Suspicious Observers put out an interesting video:

22. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (18th December 2018), Chris (18th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019)

Thanks
    Thanks DT for the scary story. The taurids are coming June 2019 and what will happen this time?

Source: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f5dkVaCMjaM

“If the Tunguska object was a member of a Beta Taurid stream … then the last week of June 2019 will be the next occasion with a high probability for Tunguska-like collisions or near misses,” they said in the presentation. The pair said they were not predicting another “Tunguska airburst,” but added that the increase in small near-Earth objects increases the probability of such an event. Nonetheless, per the Post, the probability is still very low because space is so big, so “no one is saying that June should be declared National Wear a Helmet Month.” Boslough concurs, telling the paper that the risk of an asteroid strike killing a lot of people is “super, super low.” but, he adds, “it’s not zero.” (It may have happened some 3,700 years ago in the Middle East, per RT.) In the long run, though, he says “There are so many other hazards that are greater risk.” (A meteorite hit the International Space Station in August.)http://www.newser.com/story/269093/s...or-shower.html

27.01.2017 change 27.01.2017 ©
    Taurids can be a source of cosmic disaster

In the Taurids there is a stream of cosmic bodies, the largest of which, in the event of a collision with Earth, can cause a continent-wide disaster - according to the observations of the Polish Fireball Network. The next encounter with the dangerous stream - in 2019.

Taurids are a meteor shower, which was formed about 30-40 thousand years ago as a result of a collision, which occurred in the inner solar system. An object the size of a few or even several kilometres was destroyed. The resulting remnants move in orbit that intersects the orbit of our planet in two places, due to which two times a year Earth falls into a swarm of space debris, called Taurids.

Usually the Taurids are not an attractive meteor shower for observation. In their case, we can expect only 5-10 meteors per hour. This is not much compared to the well-known Perseids, during which even 100-200 meteors per hour can be seen.

The meeting, which takes place in October and November of each year, results in two meteor swarms: Northern and Southern Taurids. The summer meeting, which occurs in late June and early July, it is less known, because the activity of the associated meteor swarm (Beta Taurids) can be observed only during daytime. Taurids are not as inconspicuous as it might seem. The summer swarm is probably associated with one of the greatest space catastrophes of the last few hundred years, the famous Tunguska event.

Observations of Polish astronomers working in the Polish Fireball Network (PFN) show that in the Taurids there is a narrow stream of cosmic bodies, the largest of which, in the event of a collision with Earth, can cause a disaster on a continental scale. "Moreover, this stream does not tend to disperse over time, but it is maintained stably by the resonance with the orbit of Jupiter. That is not the end of bad news. In 2019 there will be another Earth\'s meeting with the resonance stream. This time it will be a daytime encounter, at the turn of June and July - just like during the Tunguska event. As if that were not enough, the encounter will be even closer than during the very high and bolide-intensive years 2005 and 2015 "- told PAP Prof. Arkadiusz Olech from the Nicolaus Copernicus Astronomical Centre PAS in Warsaw.

Scientists from the Polish Fireball Network have identified as many as 10 asteroids with sizes ranging from tens to hundreds of meters, which have almost the same orbits as Taurids. "And if Taurids enter our atmosphere, causing the phenomenon of meteors, nothing stands in the way of an encounter with a larger object. Especially that the Tunguska event, which was caused by an object with the size of about 50-100 meters, clearly shows that such things can happen" - explained Dr. Olech.

In the early 1990s, David Asher of the Armagh Observatory studied Taurids as part of the work on a doctorate. He noted that sometimes observers report that the Taurid maximums are higher than usual, and contain a large number of very bright meteors (bolides). His swarm model explained this behaviour with the existence of a narrow and dense stream of particles - a dense stream of meteoroids - within the dispersed Taurid stream. When Earth encounters that stream, Taurids they are more active and display more light phenomena. "Asher\'s model predicted that two very close Earth\'s encounters with the resonance stream would occur in 2005, and then in 2015" - explained Dr. Olech.

Taurid maximum in 2005, with the help of up to seven stations - based on digital imaging techniques - was observed by the Comets and Meteors Workshop - Polish Fireball Network. Ten years later, during the peak of 2015, 25 stations were used for observations.

Observations completely confirmed David Asher\'s model. In addition, for the data from 2005, scientists calculated 37 precise orbits of Taurids, and for the data from 2015, the number rose to 215. Among them were the phenomenon as bright as the bolide Okonek from October 31, 2015 which was 20 times brighter than the full moon, and the appearance of which was widely commented in the media.

The results of observations of both maximums are described in an article accepted for publication in the prestigious scientific journal "Monthly Notices of the Royal Astronomical Society". The first author is Dr. Arkadiusz Olech, and the full list of authors contains 30 names, among which are all bolide station operators who provided data for analysis. They are both professional astronomers and astronomy enthusiasts. http://scienceinpoland.pap.pl/en/new...-disaster.html
    Earth enters densest stream of deadly Taurid meteor cluster this June

Washington Post
    Thu, 27 Dec 2018 19:56 UTC

Incoming! A June meteor swarm could be loaded with surprises. Scientists studying a mysterious event over Siberia in 1908 call for a special observation campaign next summer.

On June 30, 1908, an object the size of an apartment building came hurtling out of the sky and exploded in the atmosphere above Siberia. The Tunguska event, named for a river, flattened trees for 800 square miles. It occurred in one of the least-populated places in Asia, and no one was killed or injured. But the Tunguska airburst stands as the most powerful impact event in recorded human history, and it remains enigmatic, as scientists don't know the origin of the object or whether it was an asteroid or a comet.

One hypothesis: It was a Beta Taurid.

The Taurids are meteor showers that occur twice a year, in late June and late October or early November. The June meteors are the Betas. They strike during the day, when sunlight washes out the "shooting stars" that are visible during the nighttime meteor shower later in the year.

A new calculation by Mark Boslough, a physicist at Los Alamos National Laboratory, shows that the tree-fall pattern in Siberia is consistent with an asteroid coming from the same area in the sky as the Taurid meteor swarm. Boslough and physicist Peter Brown of Western University in London, Ontario, gave a presentation at the American Geophysical Union fall meeting in Washington this month in which they called for a special observation campaign this June to search for Tunguska-class or larger objects embedded in the Taurids.

In some years, Earth passes near the densest cluster of material in the Taurid stream - and 2019 will be such a year. The scientists say it presents potentially the richest batch of incoming material since 1975, when seismometers left on the moon by Apollo astronauts recorded a spike in impacts during the Taurid swarm.

"If the Tunguska object was a member of a Beta Taurid stream ... then the last week of June 2019 will be the next occasion with a high probability for Tunguska-like collisions or near misses," their AGU presentation stated.

"While we are not predicting another Tunguska airburst, an enhanced population of small NEOs [near-Earth objects] in the Beta Taurids would increase the probability of another such event on or near next year's Tunguska anniversary," they concluded.

To be clear, no one is saying that June should be declared National Wear a Helmet Month. Even if there is an "enhanced" number of Tunguska-class objects in the Taurid stream, the probability of one hitting Earth remains very low. Space rocks rarely come even as close as our moon.

Experts have a simple explanation for this: Space is big. It's so much easier to miss the Earth than to hit it. Of course, it can happen, and it did in 2013, when an object smaller than the Tunguska impactor slammed into the atmosphere in Russia near the city of Chelyabinsk, creating a fireball and a shock wave that shattered windows and injured more than 1,000 people.

In all of recorded human history, the number of people killed by asteroid impacts is zero.

"This is not something that should be keeping you up at night," Brown said.

Boslough and Brown do not know if there is, in fact, an "enhanced" population of relatively large asteroids lurking in the Beta Taurids. It's a conjecture.

Boslough puts the asteroid impact hazard in perspective: "It's one of those very low-probability but potentially high-consequence-type risks, which is hard to quantify and hard to talk about. The probability of a lot of people dying from an asteroid impact is super, super low, but it's not zero." He adds, "There are so many other hazards that are greater risk."

Astronomer Amy Mainzer, who hunts for asteroids at NASA's Jet Propulsion Laboratory and is principal investigator for the proposed Near-Earth Object Camera (NEOcam), an infrared space telescope that would scout Earth's orbit for potentially hazardous asteroids, said scientists have identified more than 90 percent of the objects large enough to cause a global-scale disaster.

But moving down the size scale, the census is far spottier. Only about 30 percent of medium-size objects - 140 meters (460 feet) in diameter or larger - have been spotted. And she said only about 1 percent of objects have been found that are the size of the Tunguska impactor, which was about 40 meters (130 feet) in diameter. She said she welcomed the idea of a special effort to look for objects during the Taurid swarm in June.

One other reassuring note: The large asteroids so far identified do not pose any significant threat to Earth, as far as anyone can discern.

"There are no objects in our catalogue that have any significant impact probability in the next 100 years," said Paul Chodas, manager of the Center for Near Earth Object Studies at the Jet Propulsion Laboratory. He noted that the asteroid Bennu - currently under scrutiny by NASA's Osiris-REx space probe - has a very small chance of hitting Earth a couple of hundred years from now. "That one we're going to keep an eye on," he said, but added, "There are no highly concerning asteroids."

The geometry of the Taurid stream is a bit tricky to visualize. Imagine it as a ring around the sun, a kind of miniature asteroid belt, with a highly elliptical shape, such that the orbit takes the material roughly as close to the sun as the first planet, Mercury, but also far beyond the Earth's orbit.

This ring of material is roughly but not exactly on the same plane as the Earth's orbit. That means the Earth crosses the Taurid stream twice a year. The June crossing intersects Taurid material traveling away from the sun, and the October crossing intersects material traveling toward the sun. That's why you can see the October Taurids as they hit the Earth's atmosphere. The June Taurids are washed out by sunshine but can be spotted by radar.

Boslough and Brown are suggesting that the secret to finding big objects among the Beta Taurids is to look in the other direction - into the night sky where the material would be streaking away from Earth. It wouldn't create shooting stars, of course - that's a phenomenon of meteors hitting the atmosphere - but any large objects could be seen with telescopes. As these big space rocks move away from Earth, they will be concentrated in a "vanishing point" geometry, a kind of "sweet spot" in the night sky, Boslough said.

If they're there, that is. https://www.sott.net/article/403663-...ster-this-June
    Last edited by Maggie, 29th December 2018 at 00:20.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Maggie For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (29th December 2018), Dreamtimer (29th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019), Emil El Zapato (29th December 2018), Kathy (29th December 2018)

Thanks
    There have been overcast skies for so many of the meteor showers this year...OY! If the taurids are big I hope I get to see them.

26. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019), Emil El Zapato (29th December 2018), Kathy (30th December 2018)

Thanks
    Thanked 43,100 Times in 11,915 Posts
    A few years ago my daughter and I traveled to the mountains in New Mexico with a partial intent to see the Perseids...It was raining, just as well we both got freaked out because it was so dark. One thing I don't believe I've mentioned here. I was in Phoenix during the week of the 'Phoenix Lights'. I didn't know it was going on as I had just gotten off a plane for an interview there. In any case, I rented a car and started driving into the surrounding hills but after a few miles, I got spooked, who knows why other than I'm pretty much a chicken about everything, and turned around and went back to my hotel room.
    “El revolucionario: te meteré la bota en el culo"

28. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Emil El Zapato For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (30th December 2018), Dreamtimer (29th December 2018), Elen (5th January 2019), Kathy (30th December 2018)

Thanks
    Here is the latest in the current series Ben is working on:

30. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (13th January 2019), Elen (13th January 2019), Kathy (15th January 2019)