Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: M 7.5 SOUTH ISLAND OF NEW ZEALAND

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 11,685 Times in 2,094 Posts
    Another story had a coastal town sitting wondering when their sea was going to come back. It was high tide, yet rocks pointed out over on a point, were said to be underwater even at normal low tide, these rocks looked to be about 1m-1.5m above the water at high tide.

Two deaths, one a heart attack, the other was an old stone homestead collapse. There were two people trapped in the house, an elderly man who had lived in the house for 60 years, and his 100 year old mother. The man's wife managed to escape. The elderly mother was rescued alive. The images show basically a mound of stone blocks where the house was with a small number of partial walls partially standing. How anyone survived that let alone a 100 year old is amazing.
    I find it all a bit odd. Some thing odd about it. Bit like the first Christchurch one.
    Actually a seismic guy interviewed said it was quite a complex tremor. It started in one spot and eventually involved 100km of fault lines firing in different areas over the 2MIN! shake.

Aianawa, WOW that is a great blessing to be treated to. Sometimes those words of warning are so softly spoken and unassuming.

Thanks Elen, I was living in Wellington for a few years back in 2011-13. It was hard as the whole time I could sense driving around the CBD a feeling of "what will happen there one day". It was like I was travelling back in time experiencing the old Wellington before it was destroyed.. although it hasn't happened yet. I was glad when my job finished and I haven't been back since. It is a place that is hard to exit, one road over a hill pretty much, into a port basin with houses perched on winding step hills. The place is a trap where if the one today hit right on Wellington, you might find all the buildings slide down into the middle in a big burning heap and then washed away in the tsunami, leaving maybe even only 1/4 of the 'material' of the city.

^sorry that's slightly extreme, the place has that potential but I think I am still showing symptoms of earthquakeitis and getting a wee bit dramatic. But only by a small amount!
    Last edited by enjoy being, 14th November 2016 at 07:41.

2. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to enjoy being For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (14th November 2016), Dreamtimer (14th November 2016), Elen (14th November 2016), modwiz (16th November 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 35,469 Times in 10,174 Posts

4. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Aianawa For This Useful Post:

Dreamtimer (16th November 2016), Elen (16th November 2016), modwiz (16th November 2016)