Thread: Asgardia, the first nation state in space

Thanks
    Thanked 80,975 Times in 20,256 Posts

Lightbulb Asgardia, the first nation state in space

From the "Things that make you go 'hmm'" department...

Source: The Guardian

Aiming to open up access to space technology, protect Earth from cosmic threats and foster peace, proposals for a new space nation have been unveiled.

Proposals for the “first nation state in space” have been unveiled by a team of scientists and legal experts, who say the move will foster peace, open up access to space technologies and offer protection for citizens of planet Earth.

Dubbed “Asgardia” after one of the mythical worlds inhabited by the Norse gods, the team say the “new nation” will eventually become a member of the United Nations, with its own flag and anthem devised by members of the public through a series of competitions.

According to the project website, Asgardia “will offer an independent platform free from the constraint of a land-based country’s laws. It will become a place it in orbit which is truly ‘no man’s land’”.

Initially, it would seem, this new nation will consist of a single satellite, scheduled to be launched next year, with its citizens residing firmly on terra firma.

Speaking to the Guardian through an interpreter, the project lead Igor Ashurbeyli, said: “Physically the citizens of that nation state will be on Earth; they will be living in different countries on Earth, so they will be a citizen of their own country and at the same time they will be citizens of Asgardia.”

“When the number of those applications goes above 100,000 we can officially apply to the UN for the status of state,” he added.

According to the project website “Any human living on Earth can become a citizen of Asgardia,” with the site featuring a simple registration form. At the time of writing more than 1000 individuals had already signed up.

When asked why people should register to become citizens of Asgardia, Ashurbeyli said: “I do believe that as soon as this country becomes a part of the UN family, citizenship of that country will be really quite prestigious.”

A Russian businessman and nanoscientist who also founded the Vienna-based Aerospace International Research Center and is currently chairman of Unesco’s Science of Space committee, Ashurbeyli says the project aims to open up a conversation about regulations surrounding space activity.

At present, the Outer Space Treaty that underpins international space law states that responsibility and liability for objects sent into space lies with the nation that launched them.

But the project team claim that Asgardia will set a new precedent, shifting responsibility to the new “space nation” itself.

“The existing state agencies represent interests of their own countries and there are not so many countries in the world that have those space agencies,” said Ashurbeyli.

“The ultimate aim is to create a legal platform to ensure protection of planet Earth and to provide access to space technologies for those who do not have that access at the moment.”

Christopher Newman, an expert in space law at the UK’s University of Sunderland, said the project reflects the fact that the geopolitical landscape of space activity has changed since the Outer Space Treaty was drawn up in the 1960s.

But, he added, it was not clear how Asgardia would fit into current international regulations, with the project facing significant hurdles,

from getting UN recognition for Asgardia, to issues around liability.

“It is an exciting development in many ways because it will be interesting to see how this goes,” said Newman. “But there are formidable obstacles in international space law for them to overcome. What they are actually advocating is a complete re-visitation of the current space law framework.”

Ashurbeyli says the hope is that Asgardia will eventually become an official “launch state”. But, he admits, at least in the short term cooperation from other countries will be required .

While the project’s proposals remain vague, the vision for Asgardia is lofty. The team say that one of their early plans is to create “a state-of-the-art protective shield for all humankind from cosmic, manmade and natural threats to life on earth.” Such threats, they say, include the dangers posed by space junk, and even asteroids. But, at present, details remain hazy about what form such a shield could take.

And while the project does not currently include plans to set up an Asgardian settlement in space, Ashurbeyli believes life beyond Earth will be vital to the future of humankind. “We are laying the foundations to make that possible in the distant future,” he said.

Source: The Guardian
    = DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR =

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Aianawa (13th October 2016), Amanda (15th October 2016), bsbray (13th October 2016), Cearna (14th October 2016), Divine Feminine (14th October 2016), Dreamtimer (13th October 2016), Elen (13th October 2016), Gio (13th October 2016), modwiz (13th October 2016), The One (13th October 2016)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Thanked 62,025 Times in 14,520 Posts
    Asgard is the realm of the Gods. Building Asgardia is kind of like building the Tower of Babel, eh?

They want to open up a conversation about regulations in space. Then get recognition as a nation. It'll be a platform for space technologies and protection of earth with a shield.

Hmmm...not sure what I think about that.

I had forgotten that the grey type race in StarGate SG1 were known as the Asgard. They were an ancient race who had been like humans but then due to genetic manipulation became what they are now...

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Dreamtimer For This Useful Post:

Amanda (15th October 2016), Aragorn (13th October 2016), bsbray (13th October 2016), Cearna (14th October 2016), Divine Feminine (14th October 2016), Elen (13th October 2016), modwiz (13th October 2016)

Retired Member United States
    Thanks
    Kind of humorous when you read this attached which I had come across when computers became "the thing" in late 80s....makes one wonder if this could be possible with the usn or usaf already.....way ahead. The attached, when I first found it was titled....space command 2000 and has now been renamed twice to 2020.....read the whole thing if you will. I am sure if you look closely you can find more. IT would be a wonderful thing IF the military's were not already involved......
    thanks

http://www.worldacademy.org/files/Th...n_for_2020.pdf

6. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Windancer For This Useful Post:

Amanda (15th October 2016), Aragorn (14th October 2016), Cearna (14th October 2016), Divine Feminine (14th October 2016), Dreamtimer (15th October 2016), Elen (14th October 2016), modwiz (13th October 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,746 Times in 571 Posts
    Well...it sounded interesting....till they brought THE UNITED NATIONS into the picture...Why would anyone want to align with an organization that clearly doesn't have it's own spiritual house in order?

One things first certain, space ventures are getting a big green light to proceed forward and explore the new frontier.

8. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Divine Feminine For This Useful Post:

Amanda (15th October 2016), Aragorn (14th October 2016), Cearna (14th October 2016), Dreamtimer (15th October 2016), Elen (14th October 2016), modwiz (14th October 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Divine Feminine View Post
    Well...it sounded interesting....till they brought THE UNITED NATIONS into the picture...Why would anyone want to align with an organization that clearly doesn't have it's own spiritual house in order?
    Well, I am neither in favor nor against this initiative, because I haven't really decided for myself yet whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, but the reason why the United Nations are being mentioned is that the United Nations are considered the only organization on the planet with the official authority to judge on whether any collective of people has the right to call itself a nation state or not.

In other words, if Asgardia is recognized by the United Nations as being a nation state — the condition being that they must have 100'000 voluntary citizens [*], I believe — then it is also considered sovereign, and I think that this is the intent of the initiative. It appears to be a matter of bureaucracy.

[*] I'm not sure but I think this only applies to newly founded nation states, as there are many nation states already with far fewer citizens, such as Monaco, Liechtenstein, Andorra, et al.

Quote Originally posted by Divine Feminine View Post
    One things first certain, space ventures are getting a big green light to proceed forward and explore the new frontier.
    There certainly appears to be a strongly renewed interest in space-faring, that is a given. And instead of the space race being one between the USA and the Soviet-Union, as it was in the 20th century, the race now appears to be mostly comprised of private corporations — or at least, insofar as the western hemisphere is concerned, because Russia, India, China et al also all have their own state-sponsored space programs now.

As much as I applaud the renewed ambition and the progress made by Richard Branson, Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos, the fact that it has now become a matter of private corporations — again, at least here in the West — does not sit well with me.

10. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Amanda (15th October 2016), Cearna (15th October 2016), Divine Feminine (14th October 2016), Dreamtimer (15th October 2016), Elen (14th October 2016), modwiz (14th October 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,746 Times in 571 Posts
    Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    Well, I am neither in favor nor against this initiative, because I haven't really decided for myself yet whether this is a good thing or a bad thing, but the reason why the United Nations are being mentioned is that the United Nations are considered the only organization on the planet with the official authority to judge on whether any collective of people has the right to call itself a nation state or not.

In other words, if Asgardia is recognized by the United Nations as being a nation state — the condition being that they must have 100'000 voluntary citizens [*], I believe — then it is also considered sovereign, and I think that this is the intent of the initiative. It appears to be a matter of bureaucracy.
    Yes, Aragorn, I did read the same, lol...you're so funny....

I just really wish everyone would quit considering THE UNITED NATIONS as the moral authority....it's precisely where we go wrong....kinda like the conversation over on Herbert's thread about 'acquiescing'...this is exactly what I'm talking about, and how many people truly understand this message?? Though several nod in agreement, do they really get what it means? Part of not 'acquiescing' means you don't align with organizations who don't have the best interest of the people in mind, duh.....at least that's what I'm thinkin'.....

Listen..imo...the human race has no business inhabiting other planets until they fix their own. We have so many issues that need our attention it's beyond ridiculous and we can thank THE UNITED NATIONS for their hand in helping destroy what we have here.... Nothing good will come out of aligning with them as they are the poster child for immoral, imbalanced, ruthless behavior and the epitome of 'how to do it all wrong'. The Human race is the definition of insanity...we keep doing the same thing over and over again expecting different results. So let's just keep repeating the pattern like ground hog's day and we will destroy ourselves and any planet we attempt to colonize....oh ya, that's right, we all ready have, which ironically is the whole point as to why some want to visit Mars so they can peruse through the damaged remains of what once was a thriving civilization of millions.

Quote Originally posted by Aragorn View Post
    There certainly appears to be a strongly renewed interest in space-faring, that is a given. And instead of the space race being one between the USA and the Soviet-Union, as it was in the 20th century, the race now appears to be mostly comprised of private corporations — or at least, insofar as the western hemisphere is concerned, because Russia, India, China et al also all have their own state-sponsored space programs now.

As much as I applaud the renewed ambition and the progress made by Richard Branson, Elon Musk and Jeff Bezos, the fact that it has now become a matter of private corporations — again, at least here in the West — does not sit well with me.
    You know at first I thought maybe Space X(Elon Musk endeavor) was intentionally destroyed by the E.T. in the background to suggest we quit using antiquated rocket propulsion systems....Now,......I'm beginning to wonder if the whole point was to send the message, 'fix your planet first before you attempt to inhabit another', to be an even more viable and likely message. Is the human race even capable of reaching this understanding on a mass level? IF we do not change the energetic foundation of our reality first, the vibratory rate, we will continue on and on in the same manner destroying everything and everyone in our path.

12. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Divine Feminine For This Useful Post:

Amanda (15th October 2016), Aragorn (15th October 2016), Cearna (15th October 2016), Dreamtimer (15th October 2016), Elen (14th October 2016), modwiz (14th October 2016), sandy (15th October 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 5,320 Times in 939 Posts
    As soon as I read the following - "... have been unveiled by a team of scientists and legal experts, ...."

I thought to myself

Why did I think this? My initial thoughts were of all that needs healing and protecting here on planet Earth. Scientists have yet to cure all ills and help to make our global society work in harmony and health and peace. Legal experts???? With all the inequalities currently being exposed in our time of awakening - it would seem legal and experts really don't belong in the same sentence - do they????

If Scientists and Legal Experts can create a satellite - why can't they clean up the mess here on planet Earth first????

The next line of thought I had was about the applications from those who want to live on the satellite. Would that mean a group of people on a panel, would assess all the applications and play God with regard to who was fit to live on the satellite and who was not????

What if only psychopaths and narcissists had their applications accepted???

All I know is that when reading articles such as those attached in the opening post - it make me wonder and then I absolutely have to keep my sense of humour.

Much Respect & Much Peace - Amanda :unity:

NB: Why not just call it Narnia????

14. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th October 2016), Cearna (15th October 2016), Dreamtimer (15th October 2016), Elen (15th October 2016), modwiz (15th October 2016), sandy (15th October 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,042 Times in 1,040 Posts
    My first thoughts took me to the movie I think about the Ellysium fields, where the elite had homes on the satellit base with everything you could posswbly wish for, including the right to immediate physical health via machines, yet the majority of plebs lived back on Earth with virtually the same old, same old nothing but poverty, something like this is ripe for that kind of system. Yes Amanda, totally agree with your statements.

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cearna For This Useful Post:

Amanda (15th October 2016), Aragorn (15th October 2016), Dreamtimer (15th October 2016), Elen (15th October 2016), modwiz (15th October 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Amanda View Post
    As soon as I read the following - "... have been unveiled by a team of scientists and legal experts, ...."

I thought to myself

Why did I think this? My initial thoughts were of all that needs healing and protecting here on planet Earth. Scientists have yet to cure all ills and help to make our global society work in harmony and health and peace. Legal experts???? With all the inequalities currently being exposed in our time of awakening - it would seem legal and experts really don't belong in the same sentence - do they????

If Scientists and Legal Experts can create a satellite - why can't they clean up the mess here on planet Earth first????
    I think you've misread the article, Amanda. No such satellite has been built yet. The purpose of Asgardia is to establish an independent and sovereign nation state, with — at least, for now — its territory hypothetically located in space, rather than on Earth. This would make it more difficult for any other nation on Earth to claim Asgardia as part of its own territory, or to invade it by military force.

Such a sovereign nation state would then also have a voice in the United Nations, and could thus have a potentially significant impact on political decisions of an international nature. That's where the legal experts come into play.

For that matter, similar initiatives have already been started earlier here on Earth, where people use the internet, telephone and/or door-to-door campaigns as a means for recruiting citizens for an independent nation state, which would as such grant the members of said nation state a certain legal status and sovereignty. However, the previous initiative I'm concretely thinking about now — it was an initiative by a Belgian television presenter — was only intended as a proof of concept. Asgardia on the other hand has very real political ambitions.

Quote Originally posted by Cearna View Post
    My first thoughts took me to the movie I think about the Ellysium fields, where the elite had homes on the satellit base with everything you could posswbly wish for, including the right to immediate physical health via machines, yet the majority of plebs lived back on Earth with virtually the same old, same old nothing but poverty, something like this is ripe for that kind of system. Yes Amanda, totally agree with your statements.
    I have that movie on my hard disk. But we're not quite there yet, Colleen.

18. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Amanda (15th October 2016), Cearna (15th October 2016), Dreamtimer (15th October 2016), Elen (15th October 2016), modwiz (15th October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    Too many pesky plebes on the ground interfering with our plans, so let us establish ourselves in orbit as an end run around what stands between us and our rightful rulership of the world.
    Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

20. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Amanda (15th October 2016), Aragorn (15th October 2016), Dreamtimer (15th October 2016), Elen (15th October 2016), modwiz (15th October 2016)

Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by PurpleLama View Post
    Too many pesky plebes on the ground interfering with our plans, so let us establish ourselves in orbit as an end run around what stands between us and our rightful rulership of the world.
    That's what it could turn out to be, yes. However, I do not believe that it was intended as such. Either way, that's why I'm still keeping the jury out on whether it's a good idea or a bad idea.

22. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Aragorn For This Useful Post:

Amanda (15th October 2016), Dreamtimer (16th October 2016), Elen (16th October 2016), modwiz (15th October 2016), PurpleLama (16th October 2016)

Thanks
    Thanked 7,393 Times in 1,104 Posts
    I appreciate your optimism, Strider. Unfortunately, I have been waiting for such a project to be announced exactly for the reasons I alluded to above.

Sometimes God shines his magic light beam from outer space, and it works in mysterious ways.

24. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PurpleLama For This Useful Post:

Amanda (15th October 2016), Aragorn (15th October 2016), Dreamtimer (16th October 2016), Elen (16th October 2016), modwiz (15th October 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Aragorn - I do understand the article but as is with our history albeit so much of it hidden - the 'in plain sight' tactic is often used to gauge public response. The article could very well be part of a psychological operation to test the waters as it were....

Nevertheless the concept of a satellite - whether real or not - is in all likelihood on the drawing board of those who control the military/science development on this beautiful but embattled planet Earth. The concept has already been explored via a movie that Cearna cited in her comment and then you mentioned it and no doubt many others have seen the movie. Often movies and television are utilised to send not only a creative message but a cryptic message. Those in the know can view the movie and see the subtle messages that are included. I have been introduced to the cryptic message sending and am still learning how to focus my visual skills to see the messages clearly.

Still think I have to keep my sense of humour. :unity:

Much Respect & Much Peace - Amanda

26. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th October 2016), Dreamtimer (16th October 2016), Elen (16th October 2016)

Retired Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally posted by Windancer View Post
    Kind of humorous when you read this attached which I had come across when computers became "the thing" in late 80s....makes one wonder if this could be possible with the usn or usaf already.....way ahead. The attached, when I first found it was titled....space command 2000 and has now been renamed twice to 2020.....read the whole thing if you will. I am sure if you look closely you can find more. IT would be a wonderful thing IF the military's were not already involved......
    thanks

http://www.worldacademy.org/files/Th...n_for_2020.pdf

Windancer - thank you for the link. The link provides exactly the type of document I can print and keep on file. Many people are awakening and as a teacher the document you have shared with us, can become a valuable teaching and learning resource. As an example - I live in a rural setting in a country town surrounded by farms and farmland - lonnnnnggggg way from any major cities and due to my comments online - a newsagency now stocks a particular magazine due to me. Used to get one copy for me and then a couple and now the newsagent stocks nine copies. Slowly but surely. A leading educator, his name escapes me at present - at the end of his long life and teaching career - stated that we as Humans: Learn slowly.

Thanks again for the link.

Much Respect & Much Peace - Amanda

28. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Amanda For This Useful Post:

Aragorn (15th October 2016), Dreamtimer (16th October 2016), Elen (16th October 2016)