PDA

View Full Version : Scholar Claims Jesus Was a Roman Hoax

skywizard
12th October 2013, 15:59
IMO I think this is Bull S***. I debated whether to post this or not but The Independent and Discovery News thought it was interesting enough to put on their sites. I'm just posting a small portion of the story if you want to read it all go to source.

A historical scholar claims to have found evidence proving that the story of Jesus as described in the New Testament is a fiction, and that historical claims about Jesus were actually created by Roman aristocrats to control the poor.

According to a news story in The Independent:

“Joseph Atwill, who is the author of a book entitled ‘Caesar’s Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus’, asserts that Christianity did not begin as a religion, but was actually a sophisticated government propaganda exercise used to pacify the subjects of the Roman Empire.”

Atwill’s take on Jesus is of course not new. In 1844 Karl Marx famously declared religion as the opiate of the masses. History is filled with skeptics, freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and other doubters who have questioned religious doctrine and dogma.

Atwill’s claims are based on what he described as important and revealing parallels between a first-person account of first-century Judea (an ancient Roman province now part of Israel and Palestine) and the New Testament.

Source: http://news.discovery.com/history/religion/scholar-claims-jesus-was-roman-hoax-131011.htm

peace...
skywizard

Spiral
12th October 2013, 16:11
Yup hes just another Dan Brown style novelist, the amount of cover he is getting (& where) ought to tell people something, but somehow I doubt it :cracky:

Mark
12th October 2013, 16:29
I need to get my head around JC.

Spiral IYO, was he ACTUALLY a person and remains to be an individual entity and not some RA incarnate etc.?

Also, as Ben and I reckon, anyone can harness the power of "Christ", if the conditions are right?

as we have spoken already briefly on this subject, it seems my higher self is fully convinced of "Christed" power but does that imply "jesu"?

12th October 2013, 16:32
Regardless of this dude taking a ride on the back of the biggest story ever for his own personal fortune, the biblical representation of Jesus is so blatantly a load of bs it's exasperating to even begin. Regurgitate Egyptian sun worship, jazz up the characters and ingest every morsel of local paganism possible to support the fiction.

That said, my jury is out on the real Jesus. I've been connecting with him recently. I just hope it's the real him and not the energetic result of the Christianity I despise......

I for one am delighted you've brought this up sky wizard thank you!

romanwkt
12th October 2013, 17:00
IMO I think this is Bull S***. I debated whether to post this or not but The Independent and Discovery News thought it was interesting enough to put on their sites. I'm just posting a small portion of the story if you want to read it all go to source.

A historical scholar claims to have found evidence proving that the story of Jesus as described in the New Testament is a fiction, and that historical claims about Jesus were actually created by Roman aristocrats to control the poor.

According to a news story in The Independent:

“Joseph Atwill, who is the author of a book entitled ‘Caesar’s Messiah: The Roman Conspiracy to Invent Jesus’, asserts that Christianity did not begin as a religion, but was actually a sophisticated government propaganda exercise used to pacify the subjects of the Roman Empire.”

Atwill’s take on Jesus is of course not new. In 1844 Karl Marx famously declared religion as the opiate of the masses. History is filled with skeptics, freethinkers, atheists, agnostics and other doubters who have questioned religious doctrine and dogma.

Atwill’s claims are based on what he described as important and revealing parallels between a first-person account of first-century Judea (an ancient Roman province now part of Israel and Palestine) and the New Testament.

Source: http://news.discovery.com/history/religion/scholar-claims-jesus-was-roman-hoax-131011.htm

peace...
skywizard

No my friend this is no BS the only record that exist that starts with JC if you go back far enough is 300 years after his death, I he was so important, why would records of him start at 300 years after his death?????

I my research years ago, I found out that a man named Jesus did exits and was murdered for divulging of the knowledge many decades before this invented Christ, so the real Christ possibly did exist, but way before the Roman and Jewish involvement. there was no crucifixion, that's a Roman thing.

Warmest regards Skywizard

roman

Moonlight
12th October 2013, 20:23
I know Jesus. He is very real. He was crucified, as were many others in those times, some of you may even recall. What you can read of him in the New Testament is not all there is and has been "adapted" to better control the masses (is that a pun ?) LOL

I do not have any proof of what I am saying. I just know.

The One
12th October 2013, 20:35
I do not have any proof of what I am saying. I just know.

mmmm so no link to the source lol

What you can read of him in the New Testament is not all there is and has been "adapted" to better control the masses

Thats why i question everything.I think at the end of the day all of the answers are within yourself.Most of what we have been told about our past i believe is false

Moonlight
12th October 2013, 20:49
mmmm so no link to the source lol

hehe... there is a link to the source, I just can't show you. :grin:

The One
12th October 2013, 20:58
hehe... there is a link to the source, I just can't show you. :grin:

I found it go here (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m878lvjD6K1qdivtko1_400.gif)

Moonlight
12th October 2013, 21:07
I found it go here (http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m878lvjD6K1qdivtko1_400.gif)

LOL ! Love it

Spiral
13th October 2013, 09:54
Seeing as its Sunday....(written in 300AD LOL)

The Roman historian and senator Tacitus referred to Christ, his execution by Pontius Pilate and the existence of early Christians in Rome in his final work, Annals (written ca. AD 116), book 15, chapter 44.[1]

The context of the passage is the six-day Great Fire of Rome that burned much of the city in AD 64 during the reign of Roman Emperor Nero.[2] The passage is one of the earliest non-Christian references to the origins of Christianity, the execution of Christ described in the Canonical gospels, and the presence and persecution of Christians in 1st-century Rome.[3][4]

Scholars generally consider Tacitus's reference to the execution of Jesus by Pontius Pilate to be both authentic, and of historical value as an independent Roman source.[5][6][7] Eddy and Boyd state that it is now "firmly established" that Tacitus provides a non-Christian confirmation of the crucifixion of Jesus.[8]

In terms of an overall context, historian Ronald Mellor has stated that the Annals is "Tacitus's crowning achievement" which represents the "pinnacle of Roman historical writing".[9] The passage is also of historical value in establishing three separate facts about Rome around AD 60: (i) that there were a sizable number of Christians in Rome at the time, (ii) that it was possible to distinguish between Christians and Jews in Rome, and (iii) that at the time pagans made a connection between Christianity in Rome and its origin in Judea.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tacitus_on_Christ

Lots of points here; http://www.alwaysbeready.com/bible-evidence?id=262

Amanda
2nd October 2015, 00:31
Have read hundreds of articles and watched documentaries and read through a few versions of the bible - including an encyclopedic dictionary of The New Testament. Factor in that as an orphan my adoption was managed by the Catholic Church with the agenda that I be schooled in the Catholic faith and that in recent years as a recognised Child Abuse Whistleblower - I have given the topic of Jesus considerable thought.

I have come to a resolve of thought on the topic of Jesus that encompasses some facts and some supposition and I have not yet had anyone prove my thoughts completely wrong. I think that there lived an incredible human called Jesus who was a Teacher - his lessons are still being taught over two thousand years later. Do Unto Others - Let Ye Without Sin Cast The First Stone et cetera - that is a kick arse teacher and one to whom I would look for inspiration. The Jesus who was a Teacher was in love with Mary and due to the political movement of the day - it was suggested that Mary and Jesus get out of the area and for reasons of safety settle elsewhere.

Gleaning information from geneologists - it appears that Mary & The Teacher Jesus hightailed it to France. In France the couple were safe and happy and they had a child. Years later the political interest in the Teacher named Jesus was rekindled - a message was delivered to Teacher Jesus to move as the powers that be were after him. He left his family and crossed the water and headed towards Scotland.

Meanwhile there was a person named "Jesus" who was nailed to a cross. This used to represent the Jesus Christ of the Catholic religion for me - not now. The Human Being who was nailed to a cross (along with many others) was a human ritual sacrifice. The sacrifice included the collecting of the blood of the dying human sacrifice in the cup that history refers to as the Holy Grail. The Holy Grail can be traced to Joseph of Aramathea - who - has links via a few generations to King Arthur of Camelot.

Apparently - according to some serious researchers the "Jesus" who represents the Catholic Church is the "poster child" for want of a more academic term - of the religion. It has been suggested that when followers of the religion partake in the transubstantiation - it is actually a black magic ritual. Many victims of the elite paedophile rings have taught me about the ritual abuse and the killing of babies - children - animals - humans and the sexual abuse and the drinking of the blood and the eating of the flesh of the victim. There is even a documentary that features graphic first hand descriptions. As sick as this is - to me it has made sense - as I piece together a complex and very dark complete picture.

I know some people will ponder what I share and it will make sense - for others it will not make sense. I am okay with whatever people think - we all walk our own path in life and we all make sense of what we learn on that journey - in our own unique manner. I am simply sharing the story of how I came to make sense of the topic of Jesus. I think there was a Teacher and there was a human who was sacrificed. The human who was sacrificed has my prayers for Peace and the Teacher has my complete respect for trying to reach the souls and sensibilities of humans who were and to some extent - still - live trapped in a strange and violent world.

I think being curious and asking questions is the key to learning the proper facts. Hope my words are at the least interesting and at the most - helpful. Much Peace - as we work our way through the chaos and pain with dignity and respect - Amanda

Daozen
2nd October 2015, 02:37
Some people say he was a composite of many characters, Apollonius of Tyana is a current front runner as source for at least some of the tales in the Bible. I think Christ is humanity's oversoul, and we will all merge in to a "Cosmic christ" in the future, however cheesy that term is.

We have been conditioned to look outside and project heaven onto an external source. Having said that, there must be some historical truths behind the Bible stories, no matter how twisted and distorted they have become.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apollonius_of_Tyana#Comparisons_with_Jesus