PDA

View Full Version : Australian Internet Security

Sooz
12th October 2013, 09:56
Just received this in my inbox.

Mmmmmm, more surveillance do ya think?:cracky:

'Telstra Internet Security Update

WE'RE HELPING MAKE THE INTERNET A SAFER PLACE

Did you know that some electronic viruses can infect your computer without you knowing, and can cause other issues on the internet? (No **** Sherlock).

How can an infected computer cause such problems?

If your computer has been infected by one of these viruses, it might be helping to damage websites or to send spam emails or infections to others, including people you know. It can also slow down your internet connection and use up your data allowance.

To do this, a virus on your computer connects with a server (known as a Command and Control server) and the Command and Control Server can then use your computer to carry out these malicious activities.

What Telstra is doing to help

From 14th October 2013, new software will be added on our network to help identify when a virus on a computer (or other device) connected to the BigPond network attempts to contact its Command and Control Server. The new technology will stop that connection, which in turns stops the virus from being able to carry out attacks.

The service does not involve the monitoring of your personal information, it only looks for internet traffic resulting from the activity of viruses on our customers' computers.

Read more about how the service works.

What do I need to do?

When we turn the service on, you won't notice anything different with your internet connection. While the software will help prevent certain viruses from spreading across the internet, we recommend that you install security software, if you haven't already, to help protect your computer from viruses and other infections.

If you already have security software, make sure it's turned on and that it's up-to-date. Turn on automatic updates if possible.

Read more about how to avoid infections.

Andy Ellis
Head of Customer Service and Contact Centres

john parslow
12th October 2013, 10:08
Yet more control on it's way Sooz ...

Sooz
12th October 2013, 10:38
Yep, it is not about controlling viruses, it's about snooping and backdoor stuff built into software.

I just can't wait until startpage email gets up and running. It's free of monitoring, so they say. They have been promising to roll it out for months now. Apparently the main server is based in Holland.

I'm sick and tired of getting emails that are similar to my friends names and also subject lines are things that I've written about. We are all monitored big time.

Wolf Khan
12th October 2013, 11:31
Nothing in Telstra can be trusted, which is why I am not one of their customers, I use to work for them once, many years ago. They were slime then worse now.