PDA

View Full Version : Russia considering manned lunar base

skywizard
9th October 2013, 17:27
http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcS6eFsWj1b6o9PEexAeu5Ui9DCrDuY17 8xG_UN8edXXOl4g-jdDgg

The federal space agency Roscosmos has launched a feasibility study of a project to build a manned base on the Moon, Academician Lev Zelyony, director of the Russian Academy of Sciences' Space Research Institute, said on Friday.

"Our nearest task within the limits of the planning horizon is the construction of a piloted outpost on the Moon. A working group was recently set up at the order of Roscosmos's head Vladimir Popovkin," Zelyony said at Space Science Day events at the Space Research Institute.

The working group will integrate proposals made by the leading space firms and institutes specializing in the exploration of the Moon, he said.

A plan to build a spacecraft for a flight to the Moon, proposed by the space rocket corporation Energia, as well as projects to launch spacecraft to the Moon, proposed by the Lavochkin research and production association and the Space Research Institute, are expected to be assessed, he said.

"A spectrum of concrete tasks for crews to deal with on the Moon have been put forward. But even on the Moon humans will have a difficult life. Long-duration missions on the Moon could only be possible in special shelters, most probably under the lunar surface," Zelyony said.

He said space radiation is the main hurdle to long-duration missions to the Moon and Mars.

Source: http://voiceofrussia.com/news/2013_10_04/Russia-could-build-manned-lunar-base-academician-7819/

peace...
skywizard

Tribe
9th October 2013, 17:43
Please forgive me for my stupidity , I'm a bit tired but why would they want to do this ?

The One
9th October 2013, 19:20
Please forgive me for my stupidity , I'm a bit tired but why would they want to do this ?

Maybe because Nasa have ended their moon visits

Spiral
9th October 2013, 19:32
Its really going to rub NASAs nose in the dirt in a way that hasn't happened since Sputnik, the Russkis have a two stage Space shuttle too thats quite far into development now.

Wolf Khan
10th October 2013, 01:09
The moon is the property of ET, good luck landing their, because new orders are currently being issued concerning anyone who tries to land on the moon or mars, I wouldn't want to be on their ship when they try.