PDA

View Full Version : Is it ethical to bring back extinct species?

skywizard
14th September 2013, 15:53
Once a species has gone extinct, is it ethically sound to use science to bring it back from oblivion? This is only a short part of an article from the source below. For those interested it's a good read. I thought this was enough to get some feed back from you guys.

One of the biggest questions raised by the movie blockbuster "Jurassic Park" was that even if we did have the capability to bring extinct species back to life, the question remains whether or not we actually should. With advances in science leading us ever closer to the capacity to resurrect an extinct species, scientists have found themselves pondering the ethical considerations of such an act in addition to the practical possibilities.

One particularly controversial area is in the resurrection of an extinct species of human such as the Neanderthals. If we were able to produce a living Neanderthal, would that person be doomed to a life of scientific experimentation and observation and would human rights still apply?

Scientists predict that within 15 years they will be able to revive some more recently extinct species, for me this raises the question of whether or not they should... just because they can.

Source: http://phys.org/news/2013-04-ethics-resurrecting-extinct-species.html

peace...
skywizard

Tribe
14th September 2013, 15:55
This reminds me of Sasquatch , if "THEY "ever discover one I'd hate to think what they would do to it :(

I wish people would be respectful of all sentient beings then there wouldn't be any reason for any of them to go into hiding or become extinct ! X

Spiral
14th September 2013, 16:27
This reminds me of Sasquatch , if "THEY "ever discover one I'd hate to think what they would do to it :(

I'll tell you what they would do, they would weaponise it & grow human transplant organs in it.

Planet Earth, run by corporations to the detriment of all its lifeforms.

Seikou-Kishi
14th September 2013, 16:50
Whether or not we should bring back extinct animals is a completely different question than whether or not it's ethical. Personally, I find no ethical problems with the idea at all, but it could be ecologically imprudent to do so.

jimmer
14th September 2013, 19:22
Whether or not we should bring back extinct animals is a completely different question than whether or not it's ethical. Personally, I find no ethical problems with the idea at all, but it could be ecologically imprudent to do so.

could be the tip-of-the-iceberg: bring back loved ones?

Spiral
14th September 2013, 19:36
could be the tip-of-the-iceberg: bring back loved ones?

Thats another thing altogether, you could clone the body but what about the mind & soul ?

All the experiences that formed the individual ?

I could see them doing it with pets though, despite the above reasons still applying.

Tribe
14th September 2013, 21:19
The ethical implication for me would be what kind of life would it have if brought back , it would spend a life in captivity what kind of life is that ? I think it would suffer as it wouldn't have the immunities to cope with the diseases of this age . Also it's unique genetics could possibly cause a disease now to mutate and become more dangerous ? If brought back on mass then it would seriously damage the Eco system leading to the extinction of other creatures eek !

Wolf Khan
15th September 2013, 00:22
There is no reason to return an extinct species to life, once they are gone. Let them all enjoy the spiritual existance they are now.

Tonz
15th September 2013, 03:18
If they brought back me well into the future they would be really disappoint as they would ask how do you feel?,and get get a gob smack of piss off you b.........s lol.

Eelco
15th September 2013, 04:20
When bringing back a species, or loved ones?
Would they have a soul?

I think I just imagined how and why we created greys...

With Love
Eelco