PDA

View Full Version : Do schools kill creativity?

Calabash
6th October 2013, 17:02
We all know the answer to that - a resounding YES !!

Here are three TED videos on education from the marvellous Sir Ken Robinson covering the years 2006, 2010 and 2013. If we all had the benefit of being taught by teachers of this calibre then we would all be much happier and more creative people. . . .

“For most of us the problem isn’t that we aim too high and fail - it’s just the opposite - we aim too low and succeed.”
― Ken Robinson, The Element: How Finding Your Passion Changes Everything

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iG9CE55wbtY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r9LelXa3U_I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wX78iKhInsc

Chickadee
6th October 2013, 19:31
It depends on how much $$$ one is willing to pay. These days, the public and catholic system are simply just BROKEN.
It's like everything these days. You want quality~ one has to pay the piper.
Our children are our greatest investment. Success comes with sacrifice.

Chickadee
6th October 2013, 19:34
Once upon a time, going to school was a privilege. Now it's expected. What gives eh?

Tribe
6th October 2013, 20:26
I love ken Robinson , I think his lectures should be shown to every headmaster , teacher , student teacher ! Huge respect ! :) x

shamanseeker
7th October 2013, 11:44
At the private Catholic school where I teach once a week, they are not bad people but the majority of the teachers there inhibit the children. They'll pounce on elementary children and humiliate them because they can't remember something they've been told once. I decided the only way to 'deal' with this was to explain to the children (there's usually one of teachers sitting in on the lesson) that I don't like it when they don't listen or are insolent but I will never criticise them for not remembering something or making a mistake. I tell them that research has proved you need to hear a word 10 times before you start to remember. Of course the teachers know this is right because they can't always remember English words either and I've noticed that some of them have changed.

Tonz
7th October 2013, 12:07
I first noted Robinson on ted talks, a master in his mind and a lesson to all teachers on all levels.

BabaRa
7th October 2013, 23:50
Unfortunately, it seems as if the teachers I know in the public system are frustrated between the bad behavior of the students and the -what they call - ridicules policies of admin.

Right now they have laid off so many teachers due to sequester (what we call austerity here in USA) that the classrooms now hold over 40 students. They are literally crammed in and the teachers say they spend most of their time on crowd control. Very sad.

Chickadee
8th October 2013, 05:35
Unfortunately, it seems as if the teachers I know in the public system are frustrated between the bad behavior of the students and the -what they call - ridicules policies of admin.

Right now they have laid off so many teachers due to sequester (what we call austerity here in USA) that the classrooms now hold over 40 students. They are literally crammed in and the teachers say they spend most of their time on crowd control. Very sad.

In the province of Alberta, the government cut 14 million dollars from the school budget this year. There are up to 50 students per class in some schools. How is a teacher supposed to teach to each student? How are students supposed to learn in environments like this, especially if they need extra help an attention? It is left to the parents, and unfortunately, most parents don't know how to teach their children what is lacking in the curriculum.
It's really sad :(
Me. Robinson's methods are catching on in some private schools.
It's really a hard boat to sail these days. Ugh... Broken systems need to fall

Calabash
8th October 2013, 12:56
Does anyone here teach their kids at home or know of anyone who does? Here is yet another video with Ken Robinson talking about homeschooling, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g5qv9Qx4jGw