PDA

View Full Version : What happens when a Muslim slaps a Chinese girl for refusing to dance?

bsbray
29th February 2016, 18:38
Looks like China understands women's rights.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHNCxERMhMA

:hilarious:

As a bonus, here's an experiment to see what happens when a woman is hit in public in the US, without and then with a hijab:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EpDnw4Wevxs

Maybe this is what cultural tolerance looks like?

Frances
29th February 2016, 18:42
Go girl. ('~')
Frances.

sandy
1st March 2016, 02:48
Men can stop the violent men by stepping up, speaking up and ostracizing men who present a demeaning attitude to women and all others for that matter.

I do it no matter the consequence or the gender or age, including stopping actual violent actions....one would be surprised at the power of the actions that say NO MORE!!

scibuster
1st March 2016, 06:39
I've heard of this US police rule.
US police rule:

Police asking:
"Who has hit first."

Those are taken away.

But the judge is doing a more complex work.
He found out that those who had hit first are insulted by the following words:
(an insult to one's mother)

InCiDeR
1st March 2016, 14:08
I have great respect for you bsbray. However, maybe it would be wise to change the thread title unto something that is more relevant to what the video actually shows. As I understand it, there is nothing in the video that supports that the man actually is a muslim, and to be honest, nothing that supports that the girl is chinese either.

Since this video seems to have gone viral, I sense a bit of controlled and subtil modelling of our conscious and unconscious mind. They use certain trigger words to steer us into a pattern of automatic reactions and thoughts when and if we later run into other circumstances in which "muslim" are mentioned.

I also find it interesting that we somehow cheer when someone use violence in response to a situation, no matter gender, race, religion, human, alien, self-defense or not. In my point of view, that very act in itself is a state of mind and unreflected behavior I wish humanity as whole would be more observant about. I am not saying that a violent response in certain life threatening situations is misplaced when no other alternative exists to save a life, however I always see it as an unfortunate outcome.

Pax melior est quam iustissimum bellum
Peace is better than the most just war

InCiDeR

Dreamtimer
1st March 2016, 15:55
I found myself wondering at the statement of these peoples' origins when there's no obvious indicator. The man is dressed in a central asian type manner which could mean it's pretty likely he's muslim. He's clearly not sikh. He could be hindu, but that may not be as likely. He could be christian.

Is the woman chinese? Hard to say. She's certainly not german or nordic. Her response is out of proportion, it seems. But we don't know what else he's done or said.

He never should have been grabbing on her and if she's not his woman he has no grounds for any expectations of agreeing to dance or anything else. Muslim or not. I lived with a muslim family in a muslim country for a brief time so I have some first hand experience.

Dreamtimer
1st March 2016, 16:06
Cultural tolerance doesn't mean turning a blind eye. I laud the man who threatened to call the cops if he hit her again.

Does anyone recall how Whoopi Goldberg defended Micheal Vicks for the dog fighting because it's a cultural thing? That's what they do down south, as she said.

I found myself wondering whether she'd ever defended slavery on the same grounds...:fpalm:

bsbray
1st March 2016, 17:09
I've heard of this US police rule.
US police rule:

Police asking:
"Who has hit first."

Those are taken away.

I've heard that too.

But the judge is doing a more complex work.
He found out that those who had hit first are insulted by the following words:
(an insult to one's mother)

I don't think that defense would hold up in court. :p

There is a rhyme, "sticks and stones can break my bones but words can never hurt me." Of course words can hurt people but in the eyes of the law it's taking things to a whole new level to initiate physical violence. And I don't think this has anything to do with the video in the OP anyway.

I have great respect for you bsbray. However, maybe it would be wise to change the thread title unto something that is more relevant to what the video actually shows. As I understand it, there is nothing in the video that supports that the man actually is a muslim, and to be honest, nothing that supports that the girl is chinese either.

You know what, I didn't even consider that. I did a few searches online after you posted this, and tried to find if there were an original video, or a clearer video, or any additional information. All of them have similar titles, and all of them are similarly blurry (and the very poor quality is why I think they are probably not part of a deliberate disinfo campaign, because Islamic culture really is much more disrespectful to women than western culture and it wouldn't be hard to find a very clear video of worse). And the girl never shows her face.

We can gather a few clues from the video. For one, based on the dress and the kind of gathering this is, this does not appear to be recorded in a western nation. It was probably taken somewhere in Asia. My guess would be India, and with over a billion people and a great diversity of culture there are good odds of it being India, but I don't know that for sure. If you really live in Nepal then you might have some thoughts on this yourself. If this was a gathering in Iran, Saudi Arabia, etc., it would be an illegal party because the women are not wearing the proper clothing. The fact that they're wearing relatively revealing dresses (by Islamic standards) and no hijab also suggests that this is a country with relaxed religious laws, which would support it being India or maybe Pakistan.

If it were India, the population is about 80% Hindu and 15% Muslim. I wondered if Indians are able to distinguish Muslims and Hindus by appearance, so I did a search for that and found this:

One way to distinguish between Hindu and Muslim me is Hindus generally don't wear facial hair particularly around the chin. Islamic faith dictates the men wear beards so even the younger and trendier Muslim men will wear some slight facial hair on their chin connecting to their sideburns; it will look like a very thin trimmed beard. The exception to this is Persians (Iranians). Since 9/11, a lot of Hindu men have deliberately shaved any goatee or mustache to avoid being confused with Muslim men.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/politics-other-controversies/1005223-can-you-distinguish-between-hindu-muslim.html

The guy does appear to at least have "slight facial hair" on his chin, though the image is blurry. If he had no facial hair then I would expect the frame below, for example, to appear a bit differently:

We might have been able to use the music in the audio as a clue but it was obviously edited, so maybe none of it is the original audio.

Since this video seems to have gone viral, I sense a bit of controlled and subtil modelling of our conscious and unconscious mind. They use certain trigger words to steer us into a pattern of automatic reactions and thoughts when and if we later run into other circumstances in which "muslim" are mentioned.

I'm not a big fan of any organized religion. I think there are legitimate grounds on which all of them can be criticized, and it would be better to talk about these sore spots than to let them fester behind our backs, ignoring them. When it comes to Islam, the more dedicated to Islam a culture is, the more disrespectful to women they are by western standards. Saudi Arabia is probably the most terrible example. Women only recently gained the right to drive there and they can be sentenced by a court to be stoned to death in public. Men usually get off lighter for the same crime, with only a few dozen lashings. But in many countries with Islamic culture, women are treated as second class citizens in a way that the west can hardly understand except abstractly, as just an idea or words in print or online.

I also find it interesting that we somehow cheer when someone use violence in response to a situation, no matter gender, race, religion, human, alien, self-defense or not. In my point of view, that very act in itself is a state of mind and unreflected behavior I wish humanity as whole would be more observant about. I am not saying that a violent response in certain life threatening situations is misplaced when no other alternative exists to save a life, however I always see it as an unfortunate outcome.

Yes, it's unfortunate that violence should ever be used, but I am totally for self defense. On the level of culture and sociology, there's the idea of defending yourself, and then there's "turn the other cheek" philosophy. As much as I think "turn the other cheek" is a noble ideal, to a certain extent, I can also imagine a lot of self-inflicted harm resulting from it if whole cultures adopted it and refused to take a stand against systematic abuse.

I'm thinking about changing the thread title now that you've posted this. The reason I'm not sure is because the title of the video may or may not be accurate, and though there is at least some circumstantial evidence that it's accurate (the appearance of the man at least seems to be consistent with Muslim dress in India, and non-Muslim dress for the woman), there is no way to be 100% positive. But at the same time, videos are posted on forums every day that may or may not be true, and it should be assumed that everything on the Internet should be taken with a grain of salt anyway. If we changed the titles of threads about videos in order to reflect the fact that the video title may or may not be accurate, we could have to change the name of every thread named after a video if someone could just make an argument against the accuracy of the contents of that video.

bsbray
1st March 2016, 17:21
Cultural tolerance doesn't mean turning a blind eye. I laud the man who threatened to call the cops if he hit her again.

Where I was raised, we have a culture that frowns on men hitting women for any reason. Why should that culture even take a back seat to a foreign culture in the first place? If we are tolerant of all cultures we should obviously be tolerant of our own traditional culture as well.

I was out shopping one day and heard yelling across the road in an adjacent parking lot. Apparently somebody had hit a woman, maybe his wife or girlfriend, and a stranger had seen it and confronted him about it, and they were shouting at each other. Women who stay in abusive relationships is something else, but I don't think any of this should be acceptable in any culture and I don't think any of us should apologize for having this view either.