PDA

View Full Version : Quantum Theory - Full Documentary

Aragorn
29th February 2016, 03:44
This 55-minute documentary explains the principles behind quantum mechanics in layman's terms, and I definitely recommend watching this. ;)

One caveat, though: it might be best to jump straight to 3 minutes and 14 seconds into the video, because after the first ~45 seconds of the introduction — which only shows a few highlights from the documentary itself — the rest of those ~2 minutes and change is taken up by an excruciatingly slow highlight of all their sponsors.

;)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBrsWPCp_rs

scibuster
29th February 2016, 06:04
for your understanding of a quantum theorie test:

Is it possible to build a litte machine/equipment where you press a button and out come 1 photon.
(remember only one photon)
and then a second button when you press outcome is exactly 10 photons not 9 not 11 only 10 photons ?

Aragorn
29th February 2016, 06:54
for your understanding of a quantum theorie test:

Is it possible to build a litte machine/equipment where you press a button and out come 1 photon.
(remember only one photon)
and then a second button when you press outcome is exactly 10 photons not 9 not 11 only 10 photons ?

That's a trick question, because photons behave like particles when they are being regarded as individual particles — cfr. the single slit approach — and in the video, an experiment was explained where an entangled pair of photons was created and then one of these two photons was teleported to elsewhere by way of a laser.

On the other hand, photons can also behave in a wave-like manner when they are being regarded as waves — cfr. the double slit approach — and in that case, it would become difficult, if not impossible, to actually meter them. So I guess it all depends on how you set up your device. ;)

Dreamtimer
29th February 2016, 13:11
Thank you, Aragorn. No doubt I will benefit from this. I've seen videos of the double slit experiment before and though I always feel like I understand I can rarely explain it again myself. Perhaps a little more familiarity...:tea::pc::meditating:

Trichakra
23rd August 2016, 10:21
Thanks for sharing this movie.