PDA

View Full Version : The biggest thing in the universe

scibuster
30th December 2015, 17:42
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aPGaO4UI0Q

bigger is better.

Don't speculate about multiverses.
There is no verified theorie nor some measurements.

Dreamtimer
30th December 2015, 21:45
Don't speculate? I believe it's a curious mind that speculates and then produces a good hypothesis.

Theories come later.

I'm pretty sure Einstein spent some time speculating.:scrhd:

bsbray
31st December 2015, 05:20
No, we should only believe what we can see, hear, taste, touch, smell, and otherwise verify with our senses, or machines' electronics senses. :p

...except when it comes to every theoretical model used in science today, from the idea of electrons as a tiny balls (which they in fact are apparently not) to the "big bang." :)

scibuster
31st December 2015, 10:08
atoms are not little balls.

http://milesmathis.com/torus.pdf

Dreamtimer
31st December 2015, 13:51
Indeed, atoms are not little balls.

There is no evidence for dark matter/dark energy. It's the name scientists give to the unknown factor affecting gravity and expansion of the universe.

It could be God. But that would be belief rather than hypothesis or theory.

You Shall Not Expand Too Fast!:wiz::wiz::wiz:

bsbray
1st January 2016, 21:45
Atoms are not tiny balls but they were first conceptualized in this way, and continue to be modeled this way for certain applications simply because it's convenient. But my point was that before anyone had even seen an atom through any type of microscope, it was informed speculation that led some thinkers to propose this model in the first place. Now we know that it was not a very accurate model, but it was an important development that helped us to learn more about what we were studying, and we even still use it.

Science is like this. There is a very strict difference between a repeatable scientific "fact" (reliable experimental results) and theoretical models which are just speculation or ways of organizing data to make sense of it. Then we can take that speculation and subject it to more testing later. Without speculation we would not make it very far. A big problem is that today science has become like a religion in many ways, with tenured scientists as its priests, and they assume the authority to tell people what is and is not "real" or "possible."