PDA

View Full Version : Scenes in the Alaskan Wilderness - Salmon returning to spawning grounds

lcam88
16th December 2015, 16:19
https://vimeo.com/146049113

Nicely cut wilderness scenes from Alaska.

Windancer
16th December 2015, 17:08
Beautiful piece. Reminds me when I lived up in the puget sound area of Washington, Whatcom County, up near British Columbia. I so miss that.
Thanks for posting this!

lcam88
16th December 2015, 23:31
I miss Alaska

sandy
17th December 2015, 01:12
Spent some time working in the Yukon and skipped into Alaska a few times>>>>>>>>>it is really God's Country up there :)

bsbray
17th December 2015, 05:39
Maybe it's beautiful, but what about freezing to death? :p

lcam88
17th December 2015, 08:18
:p

Freezing to death rarely happens. The community really looks out for each other and understands about being prepared. Extra blankets in the trunk of the car, fire making materials etc.

When people do die, normally alcohol and/or firearms are mixed with p!ss poor thinking From time to time when I lived there, we would hear stories about severe frostbites mostly. People on the bottle would feel the need to walk several miles without proper footwear.

Smokers tend to suffer cold hands and feet more; a side effect of their habit is diminished circulation in the extremities.

Summer is great, 20+ hours of sunlight, pleasant weather...

Dumpster Diver
17th December 2015, 12:25
I LOVED my time in Alaska. Summers only, tho.

...and, God help me, I love eating salmon too. "Combat fishing" where the fishermen are as thick in a stream as the fish in the water and a major concern is getting hooked by one of the clowns around you as they swing their cast.

lcam88
17th December 2015, 14:34
The best salmon is caught from ocean waters.

As the fish enters fresh water, it stops eating. The further upstream you fish, the more "tired" or depleted the fish will be.

People who fish with a hook, line and rod are amateurs or sportsmen. The fish, once in fresh water, don't eat, but they do snap at a spinners that is "annoying" them. That is why almost any shiny large spinning hook works.

The following video shows another way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IarZQFsDAiM

Dreamtimer
18th December 2015, 01:33
I don't think I've seen a fish wheel before. Pretty cool.