PDA

View Full Version : WTF!!! Torrent Trackers Ban Windows 10 Over Privacy Concerns

Outlander
26th August 2015, 08:26
Torrent Trackers Ban Windows 10 Over Privacy Concerns
By Ernesto
August 22, 2015

The level of Windows 10 paranoia reached new heights this week when reports suggested that Microsoft would wipe torrents and pirated software from people's hard drives. Nonsense, of course, but all the recent privacy concerns were enough to have the operating system banned from several torrent trackers.

Since the release of Windows 10 last month many media reports have focused on various privacy intrusions.

The WiFi password sharing feature, for example, or the extensive sharing of personal data and information back to Microsoft’s servers. The list goes on and on.

While we’re the last ones to defend these policies, it is worth pointing out that many other large tech companies have similar privacy violating policies. Reading rants about Windows 10 privacy on Facebook is particularly ironic.

This week things took a turn for the worse. Slowly but steadily reports started pouring in that Windows 10 has a built-in piracy kill switch. If we were to believe some of the reports, Microsoft would nuke all torrents downloaded from The Pirate Bay.

The truth is nowhere near as dystopian though. The controversy originates from a single line in Microsoft’s Service Agreement which allows the company to download software updates and configuration changes that may prevent people from “playing counterfeit games.”

This change isn’t limited to Windows 10 but covers many services. Also, there is no indication that this will ever be used to target third-party games, which is highly unlikely.

Still, the recent privacy concerns have some torrent tracker staffers worried. During the week TF received reports informing us that several private trackers have banned Windows 10, or are considering doing so.

CONTINUE: https://torrentfreak.com/torrent-trackers-ban-windows-10-over-privacy-concerns-150822/

Aragorn
26th August 2015, 08:37
Microsoft actively sells zero-day exploits to the NSA and is in league with DARPA, the US Department of Homeland Security and a bunch of other alphabet soup agencies, as you can read in this article here (https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20130614/02110223467/microsoft-said-to-give-zero-day-exploits-to-us-government-before-it-patches-them.shtml). Furthermore, Microsoft software is proprietary, which means that you never get to own the software. All you own, and what you pay for, even if the computer comes pre-installed with Microsoft Windows, is a license to use the software -- on Microsoft's terms, not on your terms.

The solution is to go with Free/Libre & Open Source Software. Personally I have never let a hardware manufacturer dictate to me what operating system I should be running on computers that I paid for with my own money. I've been using GNU/Linux for 15 and a half years now, and I wouldn't want anything else. Granted, I'm a geek, but these days, there are plenty of GNU/Linux distributions aimed at novices. There is really no reason at all to stick with Microsoft Windows. ;)

Daozen
26th August 2015, 12:02
I bought an ASUS laptop with a Meego operating system years ago. At first I loved it, but then I realized you had to be a computer genius to load any .exe file.

Aragorn, do you know what the best Linus distribution for a borderline tech-imbecile is? I just need to run Audacity and Open Office on an old second hand PC, and maybe some VST plugins. Thanks if you have any ideas.

Maybe I could just load them from a dos prompt???.

lcam88
26th August 2015, 12:48
Windows 10 has EULA terms that states it can take action based on user data. (in so many words)

http://www.extremetech.com/internet/212780-elite-torrent-trackers-are-reportedly-banning-the-use-of-windows-10

The torrent maintainers do not want windows users to participate in their activities because of the EULA windows 10 users need to accept.

Ubuntu Linux is supposed to be very very user friendly.

Aragorn
26th August 2015, 12:49
I bought an ASUS laptop with a Meego operating system years ago. At first I loved it, but then I realized you had to be a computer genius to load any .exe file.

This usage of a filename suffix -- .EXE, .COM, .BAT, .CMD -- to determine whether a file is executable is exactly one of the (many) reasons why Windows is such a poor operating system. It's an inheritance from MS-DOS, and if you receive an e-mail with an attachment that happens to have one of those filename suffixes, it'll normally be automatically executed. Any and all security is a bolted-on afterthought in Windows, because it was originally never intended to be a standalone operating system, nor was it originally intended for networked computers, let alone multiuser systems. Windows began its life as a graphical user interface with a built-in memory manager for DOS, a single-user, single-tasking operating system for standalone PCs.

GNU/Linux on the other hand is a UNIX-family system, and in UNIX, a file is only executable if it has an execute permission set in the filesystem itself, and this for the person trying to execute it, because UNIX is a (real) multiuser system. An e-mail attachment could never be executable, because it's stored in a memory cache when you open it, not in the actual filesystem. Furthermore, it recognizes the file type based upon the content of the first bytes in the file -- called "the magic bytes" -- even though the graphical user interfaces typically follow the file type designation based upon a filename suffix, even though UNIX does not require any filename suffixes.

Aragorn, do you know what the best Linus distribution for a borderline tech-imbecile is? I just need to run Audacity and Open Office on an old second hand PC, and maybe some VST plugins. Thanks if you have any ideas.

At the moment, the mainstream consumerist PC magazines are still favoring Linux Mint and Ubuntu (or Kubuntu, Lubuntu or Xubuntu) as their sweethearts, but I've personally had very good experiences with PCLinuxOS, which comes as an installable live CD or live DVD. It is a well-managed distribution. The installation is minimal, but the idea is that you install everything you need afterwards from the PCLinuxOS repositories, via the Synaptic package manager, which is pretty good. PCLinuxOS allows an experienced user to enjoy the system, but it's also particularly well-suited for newbies, and it comes with its own, very complete set of graphical configuration tools, which are all derived from Mandriva/Mageia -- PCLinuxOS is a Mandriva spinoff, but is already sufficiently different now to have its own identity.

Linux Mint is an Ubuntu derivative, and Ubuntu itself is a derivative of Debian. They do some strange things for the sake of "user-friendliness", but at the same time, they are also blundering in the security department, and deliberately breaking something that's considered an essential tool in other UNIX systems.

A lot does depend on what hardware the system's made up of, such as the amount of RAM, the available disk space, what kind of processor chip, et al. If it's anything older than a Pentium II (i686), then you're already going to be hard-pressed to find anything recent that will still run on that, because even the 32-bit distributions of today now require certain processor instructions which are not present in a Pentium (i586). 2 GiB of RAM is a minimum for a modern 32-bit system, 4 GiB is better.

I have a 64-bit system, but I've also only got 4 GiB in this machine. For most of my stuff, it's adequate, although I do sometimes hit swap, and then the machine slows down, of course. The Firefox browser is one of the usual suspects when that happens, because it's got loads of memory leaks and needs to be periodically shut down and restarted. Other times it's because I've been copying over Gigabytes worth of data, but that's normal, because the system will try to cache as much as it can, and so it'll swap out inactive processes to the disk.

;)

bsbray
26th August 2015, 16:23
I use Linux Mint and it looks pretty much like old-school Windows (with a desktop, start menu, etc.) and when you install Wine (Windows emulator) you can run .exe programs just like you can on Windows. Wine isn't technically an emulator, but translates the Windows code directly into Linux equivalents, and as crappy as Windows is, even though this extra process is going on Wine can still usually run executables faster than Windows itself can.

Here's what it looks like:

http://www3.picturepush.com/photo/a/12212761/640/12212761.jpg

It's also very easily customizable though, in terms of how it looks. Here's one with a Windows XP theme installed:

http://core0.staticworld.net/images/idge/imported/imageapi/2014/10/07/20/windows-xp-theme-linux_0-100479764-primary-idge.jpg

I have never had to worry about a virus on Linux Mint. No changes are made to the main file system without a prompt for a password, so there is not as much of a chance for sneaky back-door stuff like there is on Windows. It's just an over-all better quality product than Windows, and it's totally free. The only thing I've found that it lacks is if you work in professional music/audio or graphics rendering, all of the best software (that costs hundreds of dollars) is designed for Windows and Mac, because there's no money in designing free software of that calibre for Linux. For working with music, DAWs for Linux will not handle vst virtual instrument patches or that type of thing without a lot of tinkering. But aside from that I'm not sure of any way that Windows at least is better than Linux.

lcam88
27th August 2015, 13:10
Wine defines "wrapper" libraries that interfaces calls to windows system libraries to the linux equivalent. There are also libraries that provide services that windows applications expects to see like registry access and windows messaging... which are not native to linux.

In that way, it is very much an emulator.

I'm a Gentoo linux fan, but I like Fedora and Knoppix. At work they use RedHat.

Upon remembering Knoppix, a livecd linux system, I'm inclined to mention that you do not need to get rid of your windows system to have linux, There are 3 other options: 1) dual boot (might require fiddling with the bios settings, 2) virtual host running in a Virtual Machine, 3) liveCD type host that can boot from a DVD or a USB dongle.

If you have security in mind, here is a blog that details some distros that are security oriented.
https://www.bestvpn.com/blog/10314/linux-distributions-built-for-security-and-anonymity/

Dreamtimer
27th August 2015, 13:20
Wine can still usually run executables faster than Windows itself can. OMG bsbray, I can so relate. I was a middle school french teacher for a brief while and I would use a windows app that would allow me to type with french accents. This program worked so much more smoothly on my Mac than in Windows itself. It just blew me away.

Daozen
29th August 2015, 15:54
Thanks for that Aragorn... I just found this thread again.

I would like to reblog that if you give me permission, might help some other people get off Windows.

Which reminds me: Is there an "own threads" button on The One Truth? Many forums have one, right next to active threads. It helps remember what threads you are following.

Here's a song to say thanks:

a5QjF18pTng

Aragorn
29th August 2015, 20:53
Thanks for that Aragorn... I just found this thread again.

I would like to reblog that if you give me permission, might help some other people get off Windows.

You may do so, friend. :)

Which reminds me: Is there an "own threads" button on The One Truth? Many forums have one, right next to active threads. It helps remember what threads you are following.

Why yes, there is. ;) As the matter of fact, we have just installed an extra module for that. So now you have two options:

Click on the Quick Links menu underneath the main navigation bar -- the one with the buttons "Home", "Forum", et al -- and choose "Subscribed Threads"; or

Click on the Quick Links menu, and choose "View My Posts" or "View My Threads". (The latter pertains to threads which you yourself have started, of course.)

Here's a song to say thanks:

[snipped]

You're welcome. ;)

(Off-topic: The guy in that song reminds me of Tom Waits. ;))

hughe
1st September 2015, 01:54
Windows 10 Is Full Blown Electronic Tyranny
https://youtu.be/GLiozMpqV80

There is big difference between free of charge and free software.
Microsoft is offering Windows 10 for free of charge? I haven't had aware of it.

I use only FOSS (Free and Open Source) software and hardware which gives me freedom of choice, financial benefit is secondary.
At least money is not my obstacle whenever I want to something seriously.

Daozen
3rd September 2015, 02:47
Thanks Aragorn. It might help to have a one click solution instead of two clicks, but it's all good.

I notice subscribed threads doesn't bring up this thread, for example. Just something I noticed.

I will be busy this September so posting less.

Enjoy...

Aragorn
3rd September 2015, 04:07
Thanks Aragorn. It might help to have a one click solution instead of two clicks, but it's all good.

I notice subscribed threads doesn't bring up this thread, for example. Just something I noticed.

Well, it could be that you are not actually subscribed to this thread. :) If you don't have automatic thread subscription activated in your user control panel -- i.e. so that you automatically get subscribed to every thread you post on -- then you have to manually subscribe to threads by way of the Thread Tools menu at the top of each page in the thread. ;)

A second thing worth mentioning is that when you subscribe to a thread, or even when you post to a thread, then it may take a few minutes to update in your subscribed threads list or your recent posts list, depending on how busy the database is. ;)

Daozen
3rd September 2015, 04:23
OK cool, understood. It's the first one, I think...

Thanks for your hard work.

Outlander
18th September 2015, 05:27
Microsoft Adding Windows 10 Style Spyware to Windows 7 and Windows 8
August 31, 2015
http://www.blacklistednews.com/Microsoft_Adding_Windows_10_Style_Spyware_to_Windo ws_7_and_Windows_8/45944/0/38/38/Y/M.html

The article below says that Windows 10 is ignoring the hosts file and phoning home anyway, so it seems like an external firewall would be the way to go. As bad as this situation is, my guess is that it’s overly optimistic to assume that 1% of Windows users even care. Of that 1%, maybe 1% of those users are able to run any sort of technical countermeasures. I hope this disaster doesn’t embolden Apple to screw its OSX users over in a similar manner.

Via: ghacks:
Windows 7 and 8 users have been plagued by ‘upgrade preparation’ updates but left alone otherwise up until recently when it comes to this new level of data collecting. This changed recently with the re-lease of several updates for both operating systems that step up the game.

KB3068708
Update for customer experience and diagnostic telemetry
This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. By applying this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application In-sights. (Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1) If these updates are installed on the system, data is sent to Microsoft regularly about various activities on it.

KB3022345 (replaced by KB3068708)
This update introduces the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to in-market devices. By apply-ing this service, you can add benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet been upgraded. The update also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Appli-cation Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Win-dows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

KB3075249
Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7
This update adds telemetry points to the User Account Control (UAC) feature to collect information on elevations that come from low integrity levels. (Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

KB3080149
This package updates the Diagnostics and Telemetry tracking service to existing devices. This service provides benefits from the latest version of Windows to systems that have not yet upgraded. The up-date also supports applications that are subscribed to Visual Studio Application Insights. (Windows 8.1, Windows RT 8.1, Windows Server 2012 R2, Windows 7 Service Pack 1 (SP1), and Windows Server 2008 R2 SP1)

Microsoft lists two host names in KB3068708 that data is received from and sent to:
vortex-win.data.microsoft.com
settings-win.data.microsoft.com

There’s been a lot of discussion about Telemetry in Windows as well as avoiding the Windows 10 up-grade. Here is the list of service bulletins we compiled and what they do. It should be noted that even when not installed, they may appear again so this will require some effort on your part. Most people will simply not bother with this but it’s great information for any tech to have at their disposal or simply for research purposes.

If you have already installed Windows and did a few updates, then head over to Control Panel > Pro-grams and Features > View Installed Updates then go from the top to the bottom through the list to ensure none of them is installed, if you do find one installed, then uninstall it, reboot, then check for updates and once it appears right click on it and hide it.

KB2505438 (Although it claims to fix performance issues, it often breaks fonts)
KB2670838 (This update often breaks AERO on Windows 7 and makes some fonts on websites fuzzy.

A Windows 7 specific update only, do not install IE10 or 11 otherwise it will be bundled with them, IE9 is the max version you should install to avoid this.

KB2952664 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB2976978 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB2977759 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB2990214 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparation)
KB3021917 (Windows 10 Upgrade preparatioon + Telemetry)
KB3022345 (Telemetry)
KB3035583 (Windows 10 upgrade preparation)
KB3068708 (Telemetry)
KB3075249 (Telemetry)
KB3080149 (Telemetry)

Microsoft is pushing KB3075249 and KB3080149 updates for Windows 7/8/8.1 users which can spy on you

Windows 10 has been launched and already installed by more than 50 million users worldwide. It is now a known fact that Windows 10 user data is being reported to Microsoft servers back in Red-mond. The jury is still out on whether this is a good or bad practice, but many of the Windows 10 Apps like Cortana depend on getting your preferences correct to serve you better.

This being the case, many Windows users who are not happy with the spying ways of Windows 10, are preferring to stay on with Windows 7/Windows 8 and Window 8.1 as the case (version) might be. For these Windows 7/8/8.1 users, there are a few updates which Microsoft has been pushing through over the last few days.

Namely, KB3075249 and KB3080149, if installed, are known to report your data back to Microsoft servers.

KB3075249 update adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7. The Micro-soft support page gives following description for them :

KB3075249 “Update that adds telemetry points to consent.exe in Windows 8.1 and Windows 7 ”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3075249

KB3080149 “This update aligns down-level devices on the same UTC binary that’s released in Win-dows 10. This update would enable all the down-level devices to receive the software updates, de-sign updates, and additional power and performance tuning.”
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3080149

In simple words, both these updates, if downloaded and installed, will snoop on you and report back certain data to the Microsoft servers.

Once you have updated your Windows 7/8/8.1 with these updates, your PC is no better than Win-dows 10, as it will report back your user data.

There is little news about these updates but tech forums are already abuzz about their spying ways. Some users on forums have reported additional updates from Microsoft which are to be avoided :

KB2505438
KB2670838 – Windows 7 Only (breaks AERO functionality and gives you blurry fonts on some web-sites)
KB2952664
KB2976978 – Windows 8 only
KB3021917
KB3035583
KB3075249

If you are a privacy lover or dont want your data to be sent to unwanted entities, avoid the above up-dates. All these updates are optional and will not harm your PC if you do not install them.

To stop your Windows 7/8/8.1 PC from downloading these updates, go to your Windows Update, click on the check box besides this updates and hide them.

Do remember, these updates may reappear after a reboot. Therefore keep a check on what your Windows 7/8/8.1 PC updates before you install them.
http://www.techworm.net/2015/08/new-...indows-10.html

The following updates bring more thorough telemetry and data collecting features to your older ope-rating systems:
kb3068708
kb3022345
kb3075249
kb3080149

If you don’t wish to share any data whatsoever with Microsoft, you should not install these updates.

Aragorn
18th September 2015, 12:26
[...]

If you don’t wish to share any data whatsoever with Microsoft, you should not install these updates.

More correct would be to say, "If you don't wish to share any data whatsoever with Microsoft, then you should never use any Microsoft products, including but not limited to any version of Microsoft Windows." ;)

The same is true for Google, by the way.

enjoy being
18th September 2015, 12:41
I still recall one of the news reports floating about during the 9/11 (I'm making the effort to call it 12/9 though, as seen in the re-occurring numbers thread! lol) ...during the 12/9 "first few days". The report was one of those ones that suddenly died off. Initially it was regards a call by government to insure there was a backdoor system released by Microsoft to enable investigators to access the computers of any suspects of terrorism in the future. The call was repeated or entertained for a very short while..
Well I just remember it coming up again, and the response, however it was worded was sort of like a mumbling of "There already is one" and then the topic never got mentioned again.

Outlander
18th September 2015, 13:15
I still recall one of the news reports floating about during the 9/11 (I'm making the effort to call it 12/9 though, as seen in the re-occurring numbers thread! lol)
Well, I'm absolutely sure that it was 11/9 where I live (Amsterdam) 'cos the next day - 12/9 - was/is my birthday and due to the 11/9 'incident' everybody had forgotten about that.

Which makes me in a way an indirect 9/11 victim...

Aragorn
18th September 2015, 13:28
I still recall one of the news reports floating about during the 9/11 (I'm making the effort to call it 12/9 though, as seen in the re-occurring numbers thread! lol) ...during the 12/9 "first few days". The report was one of those ones that suddenly died off. Initially it was regards a call by government to insure there was a backdoor system released by Microsoft to enable investigators to access the computers of any suspects of terrorism in the future. The call was repeated or entertained for a very short while..
Well I just remember it coming up again, and the response, however it was worded was sort of like a mumbling of "There already is one" and then the topic never got mentioned again.

That is correct. All Windows versions based upon the NT kernel — i.e. Windows NT 3.x, NT 4.0, 2000 (NT 5.0), XP (NT 5.1), Vista (NT 6.0), 7 (NT 6.1), 8 (NT 6.2), 8.1 (NT 6.3) and 10 (NT 6.4, now re-versioned to NT 10.0) — have two backdoors built-in. One is for the NSA (to allow them to remotely take over your system in the name of national security — read: use your computer as part of a botnet for fighting cyber-wars), and one is for Microsoft itself (so that they can remotely push updates to your system or remove software from your system without your consent).

In addition to that, all Windows versions from XP onward do indeed send weekly reports to Microsoft regarding your usage of the machine that you paid for with your own money. The reports include (among other things) your IP address, the software you've got installed, the websites you regularly visit, and the hardware that your machine is made up of. The latter information concerns the amount of RAM in the machine, the brand and type of CPU, the brand and type of graphics adapter, the serial number of the motherboard, and the serial numbers of the hard disks and of the optical drive. The official explanation is that all of this is necessary so as to make sure that you're not running a pirated version of Windows or that you would be porting a Windows installation from an older machine to a new machine.

Apple isn't as bad as Microsoft in that regard, but they're not exactly innocent either. OS X also contains at least one known backdoor, which also allows Apple to push updates to your system without your consent. Furthermore, it also deserves to be mentioned that the installation of updates to an operating system requires what is called Administrator privileges in Windows, or root (superuser) privileges in a UNIX-style operating system. In other words, if Microsoft or Apple have the ability to install updates to your system without your consent, then they effectively have superuser control over the very machine that you paid for with your own money. Furthermore, you are not legally allowed to modify the software in order to prevent this from happening — even if you could, because the software is proprietary and comes in binary form only — because that would be a violation of the EULA ("end-user license agreement"), given that the software itself is still the property of respectively Microsoft or Apple. All that you own in that regard — and what you paid for when you bought your copy of Windows, MS-Office or whatever — is a license to use the software, as per the terms in the EULA. (The same is true for any other kind of proprietary software, e.g. Adobe Photoshop.)

enjoy being
18th September 2015, 13:30
Yeah, I live in New Zealand, so we are one of the few countries where the event happened on the 12th of September because we are so close to the international date line.. Like right now it is 1.28 am on the 19th of September. The event in 2001 started at about 12.40 am on the 12th, so just made it to the 12th by 40 mins or so.

My condolences on your birthday theft!

Another weird thing which happened, or which I have only just noted, and it is I think probably just a personal anomaly, is that at time of the event in 2001 I was working on a TV movie production here in NZ and the title of it (well at least the working title) was called E-Team.
Which I found in among the Israeli Artist material where the OTHER group of artists did the windows lit up in the WTC to spell E-Team.. in the section of windows/wall where the 1st plane hit? think it was the first plane.

The E-Team TV movie, I don't really know the plot, but the scene I was working on was where the E-Team, a crack secret soldier spy group were hiding out in some mountain cave that they had pitched a few tents in and made a big tech/lab base. There was some sort of prop device that had a fancy looking crystal in it. It was like some high tech black budget technology thing. All part of some fictitious movie plot... but I was pretty amazed to see E-Team a few days back when examining the Israeli Artist material.
Not sure what happened to that film, I note there is a 2014 doco called E-Team, but the one I worked on was definitely before during and after the date of 12/9/01.
Sorry, this is totally now in the wrong thread!

Outlander
13th October 2015, 07:15
Windows 10 Worst Features Installed 'Again' On Windows 7 And Windows 8
Don’t want Windows 10 because of its excessive privacy invasions? Well those reasons have now disappeared but only because Microsoft is trying to bring them to Windows 7 and Windows 8 – for a second time…

Yes, in a quite bizarre move Infoworld spotted Microsoft has simultaneously reissued no less than four controversial user tracking patches for Windows 7 and Windows 8. Stranger still in an attempt to get them onto more computers, Microsoft has even reclassified one as ‘Important’ so it will now install automatically on any PCs and laptops running default Windows Update settings (read: the vast majority).

MS, it seems, is persisting in installing these updates. Makes no sense to me considering the outcry of 'privacy issues' with most recent OS.

KB 2952664 - a secret snooping patch first pushed to Windows 7 back in April. Officially described as merely a “compatibility update for upgrading Windows 7″, Infoworld discovered it actually adds a program to the Windows Task Scheduler called ‘DoScheduledTelemetryRun’ which sends usage information to Microsoft even for those who have specifically opted out of the Microsoft Customer Experience Improvement Program (CEIP).

MS, it seems, is persisting in installing these updates. Makes no sense to me considering the outcry of 'privacy issues' with most recent OS.

CONTINUE: http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly/2015/10/09/windows-10-worst-features-installed-on-windows-7-and-windows-8-again/?utm_campaign=yahootix&partner=yahootix&ref=yfp