PDA

View Full Version : Essential oils

Anastasia
11th July 2015, 20:06
I use essential oils recipes found on the net for many things. I am recently trying to formulate that perfect bug spray. There are so many companies it's impossible to find who's reputable without ripping you off. Can anyone recommend a great company?

Anastasia
11th July 2015, 20:10
Also looking for a high quality Catnip essential oil.

modwiz
11th July 2015, 20:26
I use essential oils recipes found on the net for many things. I am recently trying to formulate that perfect bug spray. There are so many companies it's impossible to find who's reputable without ripping you off. Can anyone recommend a great company?

Bug spray? To kill? Or, do you refer to an insect repellant?

Anastasia
11th July 2015, 22:08
Repellent for skeeters, fleas, etc. and for the skin. I found an awesome one I like but I'm trying to make it myself since company sells it in little 1/3 ounce bottles and I need a lot.

modwiz
11th July 2015, 22:37
Repellent for skeeters, fleas, etc. and for the skin. I found an awesome one I like but I'm trying to make it myself since company sells it in little 1/3 ounce bottles and I need a lot.

I have had an excellent formula for years. Citronella is best but cloying as an odor. This is fixed by mixing it 50/50 with eucalyptus. The globulus variety is a little heavy and it is better to use lighter ones like radiata or even USP grade Eucalyptus 80/85. Blend this into rubbing alcohol. At least 10% of volume should be the the blend of E.O.'s. Put his into spray bottle and you have what you need. Apply as needed. I keep a 1 oz. bottle with me when going outdoors. I refill it often because of people asking to use it. The scent is pleasant. A four ounce bottle is a good family size.

Hugh Mann
11th July 2015, 22:39
I saw a recipe for mosquito repellent using lemon, tea-tree and eucalyptus oil. I haven't tried it yet and doubt I will because the oils are very expensive and you get a small amount. IMO, it's not really cost effective.

bsbray
11th July 2015, 22:43
I know it's not what the OP is asking but for keeping bugs off of plants mix Dr. Bronner's Sal Suds with neem oil, 50/50, and spray it from a spray bottle onto your plants.

modwiz
11th July 2015, 23:02
I saw a recipe for mosquito repellent using lemon, tea-tree and eucalyptus oil. I haven't tried it yet and doubt I will because the oils are very expensive and you get a small amount. IMO, it's not really cost effective.

Citronella is one of the cheaper oils and USP Eucalyptus is a bargain also. Buy them in 4 oz bottles and then mix them together. Put 1/2 Oz or 15 mils into 4 oz of rubbing alcohol for a blend that is 12.5 % E.O's. You will have years worth of inexpensive blend to mix into rubbing alcohol. I prefer ethyl to isopropyl.

Anastasia
11th July 2015, 23:58
I have been using Citronella, Eucalyptus, lemongrass, Cedar, tea tree, lavender, etc. I have a collection. I work with animals so I mix spray bottles to protect me and clothing from uninvited guests. Recently I came across one that is oil based that is awesome and I'm trying to replicate it. I just need a few oils I'm having problems finding. Catnip oil was found to work like deet. I took a walk last night with my dog into bug hell and it repelled everything. Birds and bats all around me feasting. For my dog I use herbal collars and commercial mixes for dogs and cats.

Elen
12th July 2015, 08:46
Found this on the Raw Family Newsletter:

Home remedies for mosquitoes
Despite the abundance of industrial fumigators, folk remedies against mosquitoes and black flies are still better, safer, and more economical. There are many simple ways to combat mosquitoes and other insects that are completely natural, and hence are safe, which is especially important for young children, pregnant women and people with allergies. Below is a selection of several simple and effective folk remedies for mosquitoes.

Tomato
Mosquitoes can not stand the smell of tomato plants. Therefore, it makes sense to have beds with tomatoes directly outside your home or tomato plants in pots on your windowsills.

Basil
Mosquitoes also do not like basil. Plant this elegant and compact plant in a pot close to the windows and doors.

Eucalyptus oil
Eucalyptus essential oil is an excellent folk remedy for mosquitoes. If you are going outdoors, it can be used applied directly to skin to ward off these pesky bugs. Eucalyptus oil can also be used against mosquitoes at home. Simply drip a few drops of eucalyptus oil into an aroma lamp, or put a little oil on a cotton ball and place the ball on a nearby table and the mosquitoes will disappear.

Camphor oil
Camphor oil is a natural insect repellant. You can simply leave a piece of cloth soaked in camphor oil in the open to drive the insects away.

Cedar oil
Cedar oil is an excellent natural fumigator. You can grease the exposed skin with cedar oil and boldly go in nature.

Peppermint Oil
If you find that you already have some mosquito bites that itch like crazy, simply put a few drops of peppermint oil on the bites, and this will stop itching in its tracks.

Hope you find this helpful as well.
Elen

Anastasia
13th July 2015, 23:14
Feel free anyone to share great essential oil recipes for anything.

Still hoping for a great company recommendation though.

modwiz
13th July 2015, 23:33

I have done business with this company since the mid 1990's. They have even quietly been a supplier for Young Living oils when they needed certain ones.
http://www.gritman.com/

modwiz
13th July 2015, 23:33

I have done business with this company since the mid 1990's. They have even quietly been a supplier for Young Living oils when they needed certain ones.
http://www.gritman.com/