PDA

View Full Version : The concept of "Being Human"

InCiDeR
17th April 2015, 01:54
Human nature

“Human nature must be something which always remains one and the same, but which may be carried out in manifold ways.”
― Wilhelm von Humboldt, Humanist Without Portfolio: An Anthology of the writings of Wilhelm von Humboldt

We as a species have a tendency to refer negative remarks, claims and attributes regarding ourselves as humans. It is in our nature....
or...
is it?

When we describe what being human is all about we often use terms like compassion, friendship, love. Yet when we relate our humanity
to something else, we seem to change our view. All of a sudden our nature becomes more faulty, clumsy and all together more negative.

How come?

Sometimes I feel it was deliberately implanted in our very creation as an effective tool to keep us suppressed. To believe we are worth
nothing and have no power, to give us a sense of helplessness. Therefore looking for others to save us, because we ourselves will not be
able due to all our faults and shortcomings.

“Perhaps it is only human nature to inflict suffering on anything that will endure suffering, whether by reason of its genuine humility, or indifference, or sheer helplessness.”
― Honoré de Balzac, Père Goriot

---

In order to better understand the why, the who and the when. I searced for the origin of different statements.

Errare humanum est – "To err is human"

Saint Jerome (/dʒəˈroʊm/; Latin: Eusebius Sophronius Hieronymus; Greek: Εὐσέβιος Σωφρόνιος Ἱερώνυμος; c.  347 – 30 September 420) was an Illyrian Latin Christian priest, confessor, theologian and historian, who also became a Doctor of the Church. He was the son of Eusebius, of the city of Stridon, on the border of Dalmatia and Pannonia. He is best known for his translation of most of the Bible into Latin (the translation that became known as the Vulgate).
Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jerome)

Hmmm.... translater of the Bible into Latin. I will keep my comments short, otherwise this first post will transform to a whole book... or library.

Human error

Definition
Human error means that something has been done that was "not intended by the actor; not desired by a set of rules or an external observer; or that led the task or system outside its acceptable limits". In short, it is a deviation from intention, expectation or desirability. Logically, human actions can fail to achieve their goal in two different ways: the actions can go as planned, but the plan can be inadequate (leading to mistakes); or, the plan can be satisfactory, but the performance can be deficient (leading to slips and lapses). However, a mere failure is not an error if there had been no plan to accomplish something in particular.

Sources
The cognitive study of human error is a very active research field, including work related to limits of memory and attention and also to decision making strategies such as the availability heuristic and other cognitive biases. Such heuristics and biases are strategies that are useful and often correct, but can lead to systematic patterns of error.(...)
Source (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Human_error)

Sadly, I have not yet managed to find the original source of who or when they decided to describe this as an human error.
However, some researchers have argued that the dichotomy of human actions as "correct" or "incorrect" is a harmful
oversimplification of a complex phenomena. It is like being human is an error in itself.

“I have no faith in human perfectibility. I think that human exertion will have no appreciable effect upon humanity. Man is now only more active - not more happy - nor more wise, than he was 6000 years ago.”
― Edgar Allan Poe

I'm only human

It is very hard to find any evidence, clues or even know how to search for the origin of this statement.
I find it interesting though that we tend to use this statement in situations where we fail to accomplish
or achieve something or make a misstake.

“I am only human, although I regret it.”
― Mark Twain

---

Humans are the problem

“The problem is that we are humans.”
― Yara Hikal

The significance of being human might perhaps only be firmly decided after experiencing the fullness of humanity.
However, it seems to me apparent that every human experience life and the so called reality uniquely and differently.

In a sense, these variations in the life experiences may or may not influence whether any human will be able to experience
what might be generally considered and accepted as the fullness of humanity.

Further, these variations in experience, will shape and differentiate the opinions on the meaning of being human,
as they will vary in relation to, and in synchronicity with, these very same differing experiences.

Therefore, it might not be within reach for any human to fully comprehend and objectively, accurately, with certainty
describe the meaning of being Human.

An absolute meaning or at least a core essence of being human may indeed exist, despite the above, but I am not positive
it will be reachable and understandable from a viewpoint within our existing realm and boundaries.
But I would very much like to explore it.

In conclusion, being human could in a way mean anything you choose...

“Humans are allergic to change. They love to say, 'We've always done it this way.' I try to fight that. That's why I have a clock on my wall that runs counter-clockwise.”
― Grace Murray Hopper

Maybe it is time to change ancient meme and legacy of humanity,

beginning with the magic of written sound:

I love you, I'm only human.

“To visualize that which doesn't exist, yet to believe with confidence that it can be realized, is truly something miraculous.”
― Richard D. Sagor, Motivating Students and Teachers in an Era of Standards

EDIT: Funny though, how we struggle to understand the nature of aliens, yet I'm not sure we figured out our own

InCiDeR
18th April 2015, 01:08
Just to clarify my intention with this thread.

I would very much like to explore the concept of "Being Human".

What are your thoughts about "Being Human", what does it mean to you both personally and in general?

Is there a common core to "Being Human" that is the same for every human being?

Finally, as I said in my opening post, we seem to look at humanity negatively when we speak about it.
Could our negative stance be a deliberate "implant" in our creation? In that case, by whom... and are we able to get rid of it?

Aianawa
18th April 2015, 02:20
Mmmmm our perception is that we are human but are we outside of that perception ?, what do other races refer to us as ?, An experiment probably lol. Dimentionalllly attributed humans would probably find some difficulty in referring themselvesto be human and may say evolved human maybe but probably refer to the soul aspect I feel, who are you at a 7th dimensional level and how 3rd and 4th dimentional are you still ?. Adding a few more questions to your inquiry, hope you do not mind.

Aianawa
18th April 2015, 02:25
I am inquiring with the above concepts more so nowadays as I seen a ufo of late and until I had seen the ufo I did not realise the amount of conditioning I still had around completely believing there are off world places/races.

InCiDeR
18th April 2015, 18:49
Mmmmm our perception is that we are human but are we outside of that perception ?, what do other races refer to us as ?, An experiment probably lol. Dimentionalllly attributed humans would probably find some difficulty in referring themselvesto be human and may say evolved human maybe but probably refer to the soul aspect I feel, who are you at a 7th dimensional level and how 3rd and 4th dimentional are you still ?. Adding a few more questions to your inquiry, hope you do not mind.

I do not mind at all Aianawa, vice verse. That was my intention with this thread, all points of view and thoughts are very welcome.

There are some interesting questions you put on the table. I believe the "higher" me would not refer to itself as human at all.
It probably see its human component as we see a "body part", still, I do believe even the higher self have a sense of that "body part",
what it is and what it is not.

I guess it would not call it "human", but it would be able to differentiate the vibration, energy pattern and composition from other things and recognize it for what it is.

donk
21st April 2015, 14:13
I hear ya, friend…

Finally, as I said in my opening post, we seem to look at humanity negatively when we speak about it.
Could our negative stance be a deliberate "implant" in our creation? In that case, by whom... and are we able to get rid of it?

I believe to learn and grow from “error”…to change, is human.

The thing you are talking is not as complex as it gets made out to be in your post, all it is, is that there are strong emotional attachments to beliefs among us beings sharing this reality.

I do not believe it is human. I believe the convincing of the “wiser” of us that it is the case that humans are “naturally” greedy or self-destructive or that competition and selfishness are part of our nature are HUGE LIES. Buying into them disempowers us.

I do not know who/what “implanted” this into our culture, our common awareness. At this point, it is probably impossible to know, and arguing about the details of the history of it only feeds the phenomenon.

That is why it is wise to “go within”…but not take the idea TOO far. Becoming a hermit/guru serves no one but yourself. There is an external, I am real, I share your reality…as do others—and despite the lies (or taking of “truths” too far) we are NOT completely responsible for where we find ourselves, although knowledge of that makes us responsible to do what we can to shape this reality going forward. We must learn to help others see the uselessness, the harmfulness…of our attachments to beliefs. To show people anything is possible…and as Collier says: The love you withhold is the pain you carry.

Greed, war, selfishness, pleasure in the pain/loss of others, destruction, mindlessness….these are NOT my nature. I AM human. It is what it is…getting (and staying) bent about it serves no one, specially not yourself.

To me, a human is a being like me. Our nature is to inhabit a hairless ape meat bag on this planet we call Earth. We have egos, minds that tend to try to make connections with what our spirit experiences…which gets processed through a brain that something/someone understands waaaaaaay better than we do, and they found a way to get our egos/minds to make and hang on to ones I (humans) would not make given more accurate/empowering/reality based information.

The hard part is, each of us has had different experiences. We need to find a way to relate to each other, which requires unconditional love, which requires emotional detachment from beliefs…around we go in circles again…which brings us back to knowing yourself. You only need to know enough to be able to know another, that way you can teach them detachment, they become your mirror, and you continue grow together, looping in more humans as we go.

We can do this. We are doing this. Keep the focus on what you can control…which ain’t much—outside of yourself. Just don’t forget that “outside of yourself” is not there to p!ss you off, and it is not your fault, and your (and others) perceiving it through those (old, tired, not your own) ideas is what perpetuates it, so approach the “problem” with the urgency it deserves, and do your best to make every interaction with every human you encounter be an empowering one…plant a new seed, help break free of old mentally enslaving ideas…no one else but yourself can free your mind, but others sure can help you help yourself.

All is well.

donk
21st April 2015, 14:36
Then it occurs to me that maybe I’m NOT human. Perhaps I am more evolved, in the sense that some of the default genes that seem to be switched on most of the beings like me…I wasn’t born with.

Watching the world around me…even here, I’ll pick on a friend I respect a lot because he brought what I thought was a great example and thoughts that really grated on me: DNA yearned for the benevolent elite rulers type situation from the Dune, which if you read the series all the way through evolves into solitary omniscient God Emperor being. This goes along with my favorite TEEVEE program, Survivor, where the “reality show” stars seem to be mostly two types: those who need to lead and those who need to be lead.

Very few, even here, can imagine an existence without an economy and even fewer can imagine one without some form of government. Any other type of arrangement seems alien to most…the idea that as a species we are too irresponsible to be TRULY soverign is a lie we hold on to every time we even discuss the mechanics of these abstract structures that we imprison ourselves within.

If it is truly “human nature” to only be equipped to imagine this prison scenario (no matter how much lipstick you want to put on that pig…I mean most so-called “utopias” we imagine are just nicer-for-us versions of the same thing), than I am NOT human. I am a mutant, or some extra genes on my DNA got activated somehow…or the slave paradigm one most of us can’t even recognize was switched off.

Until we can recognize that most of the thoughts of the collective consciousness that masquerade as “freedom” are just pining of the 'field peasants' to become 'head of the house'….and nothing will change fundamentally, except perhaps your position in the hierarchy.

Believe it or not…we don’t NEED hierarchy. Organization, order from chaos, does NOT necessarily presuppose a need for the systems we seem unable to stop choosing to create (well, modify…it seems that the hierarchy is the original creation of civilization, and all we been doing is dressing it up differently since enduring recorded history started).

This thinking does not seem radical to me, at all…it is my nature. It makes me wonder, am I truly human?

PurpleLama
21st April 2015, 14:57
meTi_XnEsb0

I was wakened late the other night
There was a bird trapped in my heart
I tried to open up and let it out
Before it tore my chest apart
I tossed and turned
I prayed for it to stop
I scratched my face and tore my sheets
But I was way too late, my heart was gone
And in its place these bird wings beat
I was wakened from a day to day dream
There was a bird trapped in my mind
I tried to open up and let it out
But there was no use in trying
And where I once had a head full of thoughts
Of happiness and daily things
There is only strange darkness now
And in the darkness this bird sings
I'm coming down the mountain
I've been coming for some time
I'm coming down the mountain
And this whole dark valley is mine
Oh ballerina where have you gone
I've been dreaming of you
Honey where have you gone
Oh ballerina where have you gone
I've been dreaming of you
Since the day you were born

donk
21st April 2015, 15:18
Great tune my friend....this one keeps coming up for me when I have these thoughts:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hc16Y9fiCvQ

...StarMaker says it ain't so bad
DreamMaker's gonna make you mad
Spaceman says everybody look down
It's all in your mind...