PDA

View Full Version : prep for EMP

mojo
14th April 2015, 05:50
The search didn't show any similar threads on the subject. This season been busy taking more steps in disaster preparation such as a 12 volt solar system to charge and run some electronics. Also getting my ham radio license to communicate and prepping for longer term food supply (more than the suggested 72 hours) and other self sufficiency plans. One thing I have not considered until just recently was protecting electronics from an attack by electro magnetic pulse or EMP. I found that it's easy to build a faraday box and place items like a radio, pc tablet, scanner and other electronic items that would be useful if the grid goes down. I'm wondering if anyone else has thought about a world without electronics and if you considered taking steps in the event it happened?

Aianawa
14th April 2015, 06:30
Interesting, a recent kryon chanelling spoke of the very high potential of parts of USA (and other countries, from memory) having their grids go, very unusual for Kryon to be this ominus

Sooz
14th April 2015, 08:04
Hi Mojo and All,

When I was a kid (a long time ago), my Father drummed into me, to always be prepared for anything. 'Insurance' he called it, and not of the financial kind.

I am pretty much well prepped without being OCD about it (obsessive, compulsive disorder). It's just the way I was trained to think by my Dad, always think things through and prepare.

I have canned goods*, always keep emergency water, have an excellent first aid kit, if the electricity goes off I have portable gas, hand-cranked lanterns, a hand-cranked short wave radio, a hand-crank to power my phone, ipad etc. My son knows how to use a ham radio. Keep stuff in the boot of your car - long life food bars, water, rope, shoes, blankets, rain protection, matches, wood, a small portable stove. Collect seeds. Have a weapon of some type even if it's just a baseball bat....(yes, I know it can be used against you, I prefer to be armed with something, I ain't going quietly, lol...);)

Always safely store extra fuel for your car. Make sure you always have a full tank of petrol, in case you have to make a run for it.

The thing is, if something happens, you won't have time to suddenly get all these things. Always be prepared. Hopefully we will never need them. I think we owe that not only to ourselves, but to our loved ones.

I sleep well at night.

Just now, in the middle of this post, I went to check my dinner and found a funnel web spider in my dining room. In all my life living in Oz, NEVER seen one INSIDE my home. Huntsmen spiders, yes, they are scary looking and huge but they are harmless. A funnel web spider can kill you if you are bitten:nails:. A simple analogy perhaps, but if I didn't have a can of creepy crawly spray, that damned thing could have been anywhere when I went to bed tonight. ('Moonlight' would be loving this, lol).

Oh, and when I despatched him, I felt something else falling into my hair, major freak out, lol....it was nothing as it turns out.:ok:

Anyway the moral of the story? Always be prepared.:tiphat:

Edit: *Don't forget the frikkin can opener, (or a corkscrew for that matter...:p)

lookbeyond
14th April 2015, 08:24
Sooz re the funnel web do you spray anything deterrent around doorway?

Sooz
14th April 2015, 08:30
Sooz re the funnel web do you spray anything deterrent around doorway?

Never had one brazen enough to creep into my home! I had my porch screen open for awhile today and didn't realise it, that's when the bugger got in, because I noticed an odd looking spider on my porch ceiling this morning.

Do you know of something that will keep them away? I like the idea of peppermint spray and/or black pepper sprinkles, as another member suggested.

Cheers lb,

Dreamtimer
14th April 2015, 08:34
Sooz, sounds like your version of a brown recluse. I have the same feelings about them. Their bites cause necrosis of the tissue. I come from the Sonoran desert where there are scorpions, rattle snakes and black widows. The only place more dangerous is down under where you are! I'd love to go there. One day...

lookbeyond
14th April 2015, 08:37
Never had one brazen enough to creep into my home! I had my porch screen open for awhile today and didn't realise it, that's when the bugger got in, because I noticed an odd looking spider on my porch ceiling this morning.

Do you know of something that will keep them away? I like the idea of peppermint spray and/or black pepper sprinkles, as another member suggested.

Cheers lb,

No only what you mentioned, but maybe the mortein in this case...

Sooz
14th April 2015, 10:25
Sooz, sounds like your version of a brown recluse. I have the same feelings about them. Their bites cause necrosis of the tissue. I come from the Sonoran desert where there are scorpions, rattle snakes and black widows. The only place more dangerous is down under where you are! I'd love to go there. One day...

Hi Dreamtimer,

Well, you are a glutton for punishment, lol...we should swap war stories. Snakes are frequent visitors around my place too, although of the mild variety. The farm where my son lives is another story entirely, black snakes, foxes, bats, wild wabbits, creepy critters everywhere.

Gotta have a firearm out there;).

Outlander
16th April 2015, 04:06
I've got an acoustic guitar...:
:whstl:

Sooz
16th April 2015, 08:57
I've got a brand new pair of roller skates, you gotta brand new key....