PDA

View Full Version : Fireball Lights Up Indiana Sky

The One
30th September 2013, 12:10
Hundreds of people in Indiana and neighbouring states called emergency services when a huge, bright blue flash appeared in the midnight sky.

The light, which appeared like a bolt of lightning shortly before 1am local time on Saturday, is thought to have been a meteor or falling space debris, the National Weather Service said.

According the American Meteor Society, there have been 13 similar sightings so far this year.

Police agencies as far north as Jasper County, in northwest Indiana, and as far south as Evansville received calls from people who had seen the "mystery object".

An air traffic controller at Indianapolis International Airport said he had received no reports from pilots at the time.

There were no reports of any injuries.

To me it looks like its going to impact then whoosh off it goes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=xXRZBlo5_yk

30th September 2013, 12:58
Do you know when this happened Malc? Seems to be epidemic at the moment doesn't it?

The One
30th September 2013, 13:03
Do you know when this happened Malc? Seems to be epidemic at the moment doesn't it?

27 September buddy

Spiral
30th September 2013, 18:22
Its been happening over a few nights, I have posted a load of links to fireball watch sites etc in relation to this on going phenomena here, http://jandeane81.com/threads/561-Meteor-Strike-Kills-Elderly-Couple-in-Ohio

BabaRa
1st October 2013, 18:02
Large fireball seen acoss six Midwestern U.S. States

October 1, 2013 – OHIO – A brilliant fireball lit up the skies over the Midwestern United States, treating bystanders on the ground to an amazing light show last Friday (Sept. 27). The cosmic display came courtesy of a meteoroid traveling at about 114,000 miles per hour (51 km/s) that crashed into Earth’s atmosphere high above Columbus, Ohio. The light show could be seen in 14 states. “This was a very bright event,” Bill Cooke of NASA’s Meteoroid Environment Office told Spaceweather.com. “Flares saturated our meteor cameras, and made determination of the end point (the terminus of the fireball’s flight through the atmosphere) virtually impossible. Judging from the brightness, we are dealing with a meter class object.” The bright event amazed people who happened to be watching from the ground. As of Sept. 28, the American Meteor Society received more than 450 reports of the fireball sighting with more than 400 still yet to be reviewed. “It was the most brilliant fireball that I have ever seen,” Angela McClain told Spaceweather.com. “The entire landscape lit up. I spun around and there it was, a huge, bright green light, streaking across the sky. Even when it was gone, there was still a bright line in the sky about 20 seconds later. We were all stunned.” Friday’s fireball may not have been the only major meteoroid event witnessed in the Midwest last week. On Sept. 26, the AMS got more than 730 reports of a separate fireball sighting in Ohio, Illinois, Kentucky, Missouri, Indiana and Wisconsin. http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/

Chickadee
1st October 2013, 22:35
I had an evening hot tub over the weekend.. You should've seen the stars falling all around.

~I made a lot of wishes that night ;)

It'd be kinda funny if I was wishing on space garbage!

It's a crazy plane; this place.. Lol