PDA

View Full Version : What do you mean?

Ria
30th September 2013, 09:24
Phrases, sayings,
What do they really mean?

"To be perfectly honest" "To be absolutely honest"
So the rest of the time, without this prefix you are not.

"In all due respect"
You hear this all the time in The House of Commons, usually just before a put down, some disparaging disingenuous comment.

"In my humble opinion".
Which Charles Dickens's, Uriah Heep character made so famous, in point are always far from humble.

30th September 2013, 09:45
"At the end of the day".......meaning, this is MY opinion and it should be the last defining opinion within the conversation and carries more credence than yours.

30th September 2013, 12:04
"I don't normally do this BUT".......meaning I do this all the time but i'm pretending I don't to make you more grateful and feel guilty that I'm doing it for you.

daft ada
30th September 2013, 12:13
"So what you're saying is" meaning what you said is perfectly clear but I am going to twist it to make it more useful to my argument otherwise I wouldn't be able to contest it.

"I hear you but" Meaning I hear what you are saying but I'm going to take no notice of it whatsoever because my opinion is more valid.

30th September 2013, 12:28
"So what you're saying is" meaning what you said is perfectly clear but I am going to twist it to make it more useful to my argument otherwise I wouldn't be able to contest it.

"I hear you but" Meaning I hear what you are saying but I'm going to take no notice of it whatsoever because my opinion is more valid.

haha great stuff Ada! :victorious:

Healthy Skeptic
1st October 2013, 08:54
'Good One!!' Ria.

I am 'guilty' or 'completely guilty' of doing the same thing!!
As, if nobody has noticed, I have used the phrases:
'Understand' or 'Completely Understand'
'Honest' or 'Dead Honest'.
I can't give an explanation why I do this, but I have a 'suspicion' it is because that there is a 'differentiation' when
talking or commenting in the 'Business World'.
Please give me a bit of time to think about it. I will make another Post when I think that I have 'Worked it out'.
With Love, HS

Calz
1st October 2013, 09:12
http://thetruthandcake.files.wordpress.com/2013/03/you-take-the-cake.jpg?w=587&h=819

http://www.hilarioustime.com/images/01/funny-animated-birthday-with-cake-cake-what-cake-.jpg

http://www.freakingnews.com/pictures/111500/Let-them-eat-cake---111500.jpg

Sooz
1st October 2013, 09:16
'With respect', that's a joke folks...

Let us not get too much caught up with political correctness when writing.

I would hate to see all of us have verbal constipation.

Just say what you want.

I see too much 'verbal constipation' instituted by others on other forums.

It has no place here, in my opnion, if we want have a free voice.

Sooz
1st October 2013, 09:38
That being said, I'm probably guilty of all of the above, lol....

Healthy Skeptic
1st October 2013, 10:39
"At the end of the day".......meaning, this is MY opinion and it should be the last defining opinion within the conversation and carries more credence than yours.

Or More Like..........(Politicians Speak)

"I have run out of arguments to substantiate the point I am trying to make. I am trying to 'toe the political line' but they haven't given me
enough to 'refute' your point of view. So, therefore 'Shut Up', I have 'had enough of you'. Talk to me tomorrow after I've had time to get more
advice and arguments to 'refute' you".

With Love, HS

1st October 2013, 10:46
"For the love of God", meaning no love or attempt to attain love implied at all, mereley neurotic exasperation by the speaker at the recipients' lack of understanding how vitally important the speakers' point is held in esteem by speaker.

@ Sooz, no need for political correctness on here at all I agree, but I think these are more just amusing ways that we all attempt to add validity to our perspective imo.

Calz
2nd October 2013, 18:51
Somewhat of a stretch for the intent of this thread ... but funny anyway :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yR0lWICH3rY