PDA

View Full Version : jobcentre adviser, I got "brownie points" for cruelty

Ria
4th February 2015, 12:33
As a jobcentre adviser, I got ‘brownie points’ for cruelty
Former jobcentre adviser Angela Neville has written a play to expose the harsh reality of the benefits sanctions regime
Angela Neville: ‘When the coalition came to power the work almost became the persecution of vulnerable people.
For the full article:
http://www.theguardian.com/society/2015/feb/04/jobcentre-adviser-play-benefit-sanctions-angela-neville

Stoat muldoon
4th February 2015, 14:21
Thanks for highlighting this Ria . One of my mates was employed by the NHS , he'd been their 20 odd yrs . He was made redundant and had to sign on . Simon , my mate, was in his late 40's and was treated like a child when signing on . They said ," he wasn't trying hard enough to get a job" so he was suspended 4 weeks with out any money . He now works in a well known supermarket collecting trollies from the car parks and returning them to there bays . He hates it , but was forced to take it with threats of stopping his unemployment altogether .

I have no time whatsoever for any of our politicians , they , are the scroungers in the UK . Gave themselves 11% pay rise , whilst the rest of the people have to make do with 1 or 2% . A basic politician receives £74,000 per year + expenses from £66,396 . A Minister , lets take Lain dooshbag Smith receives £134,565 and is already a millionaire when he came to be a minister . Makes me puke the corruption in this country , not to mention the expenses scandal and we only saw the tip of the iceberg with that one . And they want us to vote , my arse .

sandancer
4th February 2015, 15:38
I lost my job after 15 years and now have to sign on , some of the staff are very pleasant especially the ones close to my own age (62) some look down on me with what appears to be an attitude of 'I'm working why aren't you ?'

I try to be aware that they are under pressure from managers and surely suffering their own stresses and problems , but some make it so difficult insisting I apply for jobs that I'm not trained or qualified for or for God forbid a call centre (apologies if anyone works in one I think i'd throw myself of the Tyne Bridge !)

I had planned for retirement at 60 now thanks to the fat lazy politicians I've got 1 more year to go ! If they dare come knocking on my door asking me to vote for them I may not be responsible for my actions :ireful:

Stoat muldoon
4th February 2015, 15:46
I lost my job after 15 years and now have to sign on , some of the staff are very pleasant especially the ones close to my own age (62) some look down on me with what appears to be an attitude of 'I'm working why aren't you ?'

I try to be aware that they are under pressure from managers and surely suffering their own stresses and problems , but some make it so difficult insisting I apply for jobs that I'm not trained or qualified for or for God forbid a call centre (apologies if anyone works in one I think i'd throw myself of the Tyne Bridge !)

I had planned for retirement at 60 now thanks to the fat lazy politicians I've got 1 more year to go ! If they dare come knocking on my door asking me to vote for them I may not be responsible for my actions :ireful:I hope they come knocking on mine :eyebrows:

Tonz
4th February 2015, 23:25
It was a difficult thing to do, register as unemployed when i came back to Aus.( after two decades) So after being away so long , my main reason for going there was to get help for job applications and get me up to date with the current format of it all, including any all systems that are currently in place to assist some one like me .(47 at the time)

After a few attempts I finally spoke to someone over the age of 35 who had an idea of the past systems to inform me with understanding.
There was not anything for me as i was not receiving unemployment funds, because of which,I was not entitled for any real assistance.
Although I had no money in my pockets , i was staying with family that supported me.(no need for money)My choice not there's.

My argument was that if i get some assistance before I fall in the absolute need for funds ,i may be able to find work earlier, hence not need the money assistance ,wouldn't that be logical.

I will give an almost word for word Quote ''But it doesn't work that way now,Thats how It used to be '',you can receive funds , (unemployment payments)as you are entitled to them , then after 3 mounths you can be assisted with a whole list of things'' after a long haul,,,,,,I thanked them and said, all i really want is someone to help put my resume in modern language and steer me in a better direction, as i have no intention of waiting 3 mounths, As i will make sure I be working by then darling.
Never went back.

In Aus. I must admit it would have been so easy for me to get funds ,but that meant i would have to have been subjected to interrogations on a continual basis, and worst of all, i would have to be in an almost permanent wait mode for a course of any orientation or formation at all .That would have driven me crazy and I would have felt that I was abusing my family that were humbly supporting me.

I would rather be pushing trolleys in a super than be dependent on the system .But this is of course ,my point of view ,(imho.)

The One
5th February 2015, 04:48
It because they work for the Crown

I have seen this in so many Government departments because they are a Civil Servant they think they are a cut above the rest.I don't know why they think they are and they should be serving the people.

They should be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

Tonz
5th February 2015, 08:32
They should be part of the solution and not part of the problem.

Absolutely ,,,,we cant live with them and we can't shoot them.Hmm:whstl:

Stoat muldoon
5th February 2015, 08:49
Absolutely ,,,,we cant live with them and we can't shoot them.Hmm:whstl:Yes we can , just have to be prepared to go to prison . Wait , that would mean they'd have to pay alot of money to keep you there . B&B with evening meal all paid for by the crown , hmmm . Would it not be easier just to help you out in the first place :fpalm: What a ****ed up system we live in :scrhd: .

Calz
5th February 2015, 08:53
Yes we can , just have to be prepared to go to prison . Wait , that would mean they'd have to pay alot of money to keep you there . B&B with evening meal all paid for by the crown , hmmm . Would it not be easier just to help you out in the first place :fpalm: What a ****ed up system we live in :scrhd: .

Actually, at least here in amerika, many prisons have been privatized and are used as money *makers*.

Stop and consider ... inmates working as slaves without any compensation other than food and shelter.

Spot on with your depiction of the system though :p

sandy
6th February 2015, 00:30
If the workers in the system did not implement the protocols they too would be in the cue of the unemployed thus being a stooge is better than being unemployed let alone aware and empowered for many...........still sleeping comfortably thus the attitude problem many government workers exhibit.:rolleyes: