PDA

View Full Version : Hot water to heal burns? You bet !

heyokah
17th January 2015, 09:28
It needs some courage, but it's the best way to treat burns on hands/arms, from cooking or ironing (if anybody still does that). Those are the greatest dangers for burning in daily life of women and more and more men nowadays ;)
The oven is my biggest enemy. Yes, I know, "Use bigger oven gloves"! Well, I don't.
-
A homeopath told me, many years ago, that when treating burns, not to use cold water to 'bring down' temperature, but to use warm-hot water - as hot as you can bear.
Some time later I did receive a burn, remembered the advice, took a deep breath and ran my hand under a hot tap, (in and out) as long (minimal 10 min) and as hot as I could bear...... and ..... the pain was gone! No blisters or marks afterwards.
Since then, several members of my family have done likewise, with very positive results.
-

Note that you have to repeat keeping the burn under the tap until the pain has gone when not in contact with the water anymore.

Sooz
17th January 2015, 09:37
Hi heyokah,

Interesting. Certainly agree that cold water is not the answer.

Still think I'll stick with the manuka honey thing - the pain and throbbing went away in minutes.

I don't like pain. Burning hot water on a burn sounds like torture. I don't doubt it works though.

But if you don't have manuka honey handy, then yep, do the hot water thing.

Thanks for the tip.

heyokah
17th January 2015, 09:45
Come on Sooz,.... we women aren't afraid of a little pain, are we?
That's why WE get babies and men don't :winner:

ronin
17th January 2015, 11:21
Our son who is a chef told us exactly the same thing Heyokah a few month ago.

Altaira
18th January 2015, 19:08
I am prone to burns in the kitchen, I just never learn to use those gloves. My hubby keeps buying me different ones but this doesn't help either. I'll try the hot water next time I get burns, thanks heyokah. :)

Mark
19th January 2015, 17:55
HAS EVERYONE TAKEN LEAVE OF THEIR SENSES!!!?

Well.....my creed is try everything once (within reason), not sure this fits within the boundary values?

But then placebo can be a powerful thing, and so can illusions, for example most people are afraid of death, and paradoxically fear spirits, surely they negate each other?

Unfortunately for me the placebo has been compromised, so i must continue with the cold water logic palacebo, it holds more of the wet stuff, but infrequently if I may add.

heyokah
19th January 2015, 19:51
HAS EVERYONE TAKEN LEAVE OF THEIR SENSES!!!?

Well.....my creed is try everything once (within reason), not sure this fits within the boundary values?

But then placebo can be a powerful thing, and so can illusions, for example most people are afraid of death, and paradoxically fear spirits, surely they negate each other?

Unfortunately for me the placebo has been compromised, so i must continue with the cold water logic palacebo, it holds more of the wet stuff, but infrequently if I may add.

If you don't try it, you will never know how well it works, Mark.
Cold water is the first reaction, but the burning will come back within a minute when not applied anymore.
Hot water hurts when it's being applied, but the pain will be gone afterwards and stay away, without leaving a mark.

As I said, it needs some courage :)

Mark
19th January 2015, 22:09
If you don't try it, you will never know how well it works, Mark.
Cold water is the first reaction, but the burning will come back within a minute when not applied anymore.
Hot water hurts when it's being applied, but the pain will be gone afterwards and stay away, without leaving a mark.

As I said, it needs some courage :)

Courage in the sense that stupidity becomes the driving force lol.

Forgive me, but I will wait in anticipation for some one else to apply this remedy, that came out wrong didn't it, hee hee.

ronin
19th January 2015, 23:20
Courage in the sense that stupidity becomes the driving force lol.

Forgive me, but I will wait in anticipation for some one else to apply this remedy, that came out wrong didn't it, hee hee.

Mark it work,s .

test for the the TOTers challenge on.

next time someone gets burnt try it.......

Chickadee
19th January 2015, 23:24
I'll try it! I have a very high pain tolerance.. I'm kinda sick in the way that I actually sometimes enjoy it.
I guess it could be a worse case scenic option... Usually I'd use manuka honey, tea tree oil, collider silver or lavender..
But I'm all in for trying anything once! :)

heyokah
20th January 2015, 08:13
Actually, my first experience with the phenomenon went more or less by accident.
I often burn my hands, and usually I applied tea tree or lavender oil, or some juice of my Aloa Vera plant.
One day I got a splash of hot oil over my hand and my dress.
As I loved the dress, I immediately started to 'save' the dress by treating the spot with hot water and soap.
It bloody much hurt my hand, but, being a woman, the dress had my priority :)
After a long hot water treatment of the dress, I decided to take care of my hand, and guess........ nothing wrong with my hand, other than a bit read from the hot tap. Both my hands were red.
The burnt spot didn't hurt anymore, nor did it leave a mark afterwards.
I then remembered what the homeopath had told me earlier.
So it was actually the dress that gave me the courage to go under a hot tap with a burnt hand.
After that experience, I never used another treatment anymore, as I hate those burn scars on my skin.
BTW, Aloa Vera juice helps a lot in reducing burn scars, when they are deep. That's what they use in the Burns Centers in hospitals.
But believe me, cold water is perhaps good against the (mental) shock, but hot water is the thing that actually really helps to kill the heat.
Yeh, the world upside-down, huh?.....
:spinning:

Chickadee
25th January 2015, 17:23
Well, I burned myself this morning---
And voila! It worked!!!!!
The hot water actually hurt more than the burn itself.

But, all I have to show for it is no pain and a red circle about the size of a dime.

:)

ronin
25th January 2015, 18:09
I'll try it! I have a very high pain tolerance.. I'm kinda sick in the way that I actually sometimes enjoy it.
I guess it could be a worse case scenic option... Usually I'd use manuka honey, tea tree oil, collider silver or lavender..
But I'm all in for trying anything once! :)

i hope you never did it on purpose!
never forget although you may have a high pain tolerance.
damage can still be done although you may not feel it!

Altaira
26th January 2015, 07:54
Yesterday I tried to move a hot tray from the oven without gloves. The burn wasn't that bad but I remembered to put my fingers under hot water and it definitely works. Today I cant remember which hand was it. All gone.

Tonz
26th January 2015, 09:49
Well we are a clumsy bunch lately i burnt my hand last week , well my palm and my 4 fingers , i remembered the hot water and as has been mentioned before the hot water hurt more than the burn but a few minutes later mostly all gone and no blisters. :thup:

heyokah
26th January 2015, 11:18
Wow, I'm so glad that I'm not seen as some nutcase for once.

At last, here, among all us "conspiracy nuts", I find some courageous ones to try out the alternative ways ....:victorious:

Chickadee
3rd February 2015, 01:23
i hope you never did it on purpose!
never forget although you may have a high pain tolerance.
damage can still be done although you may not feel it!

Heck no! Lol!