PDA

View Full Version : electrical fire

mojo
21st December 2014, 17:26
Dear all,
Last night just after midnight I awoke to find my place full of smoke. I looked for the source and it was an electrical outlet. The outlet was totally scorched and melted. I had a little trouble sleeping after that but wanted to remind everyone to make sure you have good batteries in your smoke detector. Admittedly my battery was dead and lesson learned. It was fortunate that my home didn't burn down.

jimmer
21st December 2014, 19:43
why do a lot of these accidents happen around the holiday season?
hope there isn't any permanent damage.

Tonz
21st December 2014, 22:39
Glad you are all well , the house can always be fixed , but toxins from the smoke whilst sleeping can do some serious damage.

as you said, lesson learnt , something i will have to check myself, thanks for the reminder .

sandy
21st December 2014, 23:04
Thank heavens you awoke and than heavens you are okay and thank heavens you are replacing your batteries.:winner:

norman
21st December 2014, 23:53
That wall socket?............ was anything plugged into it, or did it just do that on it's own?

Frances
21st December 2014, 23:57
Good that you are protected Mojo, maybe somebody looking after you. Hope so.
Frances.

mojo
22nd December 2014, 01:20
was anything plugged into it, or did it just do that on it's own?

Yes Norman...there was an extension cord that I tripped on earlier the day before and maybe damaged it, I should have checked it better. and probably caused it to arc.

Tribe
22nd December 2014, 16:29
Oh mojo I'm so glad no one was hurt , that's a blessing right there , poor you ! Scary thanks for the warning about smoke alarms I'm lucky we have ours checked every three months by the fire service ! :) nice young men they are :whstl:

Spiral
22nd December 2014, 16:59
Handy prompt, thanks.

Our old smoke detector always goes off in the middle of the night so its had the battery removed, bought a new one today :chrs:

Terra
23rd December 2014, 19:09
Glad to know you were well on top of it and are safe Mojo. Also, thanks for the detector reminder. :whstl:

Cearna
25th December 2014, 09:13
All OK now Mojo??????, fortunately, our Govt insists that we have the detectors in working condition, so our Estate Agent and the people from the Uniting Church (who take me shopping) both sent the fire brigade this year to check on ours, but its a revolting noise on your ear-drums, the dogs go frantic with it.