PDA

View Full Version : Stonehenge Tunnel Proposed

skywizard
2nd December 2014, 16:32
http://www.archaeology.org/images/News/1412/Stonehenge-proposed-tunnel.jpg
WILTSHIRE, ENGLAND—A new proposal to tunnel under Stonehenge was called “the biggest single investment ever by government in this country’s heritage” by Simon Thurley, chief executive of English Heritage. But archaeologist Kate Fielden, a member of Stonehenge Alliance, says that the current plan to bury the A303, a crucial route to the southwest, will harm the monument’s surroundings. “The short tunnel plan will create serious damage to the landscape on each side, within the world heritage site which the government is ignoring its commitment to protect,” she told The Guardian. The Stonehenge Alliance wants a tunnel at least twice as long as the one proposed by the government. To read more about some of the most recent work at Stonehenge, see "New Discoveries at Stonehenge."

peace...

norman
2nd December 2014, 17:23
When I heard about this yesterday on the radio my first thought was that they are going to have a dig under the area.....hmmmm...

Are they going to dig up any interesting stuff?

jimmer
2nd December 2014, 22:20
that sounds like a baaad idea.

whooops! blammo.

3rd December 2014, 11:54
That doesn't place it too far from the nuclear bunker at Corsham. Given ley lines in and around Stonehenge it makes for an interesting network. I'm trying deperately to get my hands on an old map but the tinterweb is sadly saturated with BS, which is probably quite deliberate!