PDA

View Full Version : What hallucination reveals about our minds

Calabash
25th October 2014, 01:20
Neurologist and author Oliver Sacks brings our attention to Charles Bonnet syndrome — when visually impaired people experience lucid hallucinations. He describes the experiences of his patients in heartwarming detail and walks us through the biology of this under-reported phenomenon.

A fascinating and thought-provoking video which brings normality to a condition which, not so long ago, would have probably resulted in invasive treatment.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SgOTaXhbqPQ

Calabash
26th October 2014, 13:01
The reason I posted the above is two-fold:

1. A couple of years ago my father woke up and "saw" his own long-dead mother standing in the doorway looking at him. She didn't say anything, just looked. Eventually my father turned over and went back to sleep, although he felt for a long time afterwards that he was going to die. He didn't and he's still here :). After watching the above I wondered whether he might have had an hallucination, like the people mentioned in the video. Although he is not blind, all my father's senses are deteriorating somewhat as he grows older, which brings me to the second reason:

2. In the last year and upon waking I sometimes hold a "snapshot" of a dream for (maybe) a second. It's like I'm still there in it, rather than a memory. Then a shutter comes down. I have thought that part of my brain has woken slightly ahead of another, and I'm not too worried about it, but again, I'm growing older too and maybe things don't work like they should any more.

Has anyone on the forum experienced any phenomena like this?

ronin
26th October 2014, 16:58
this could be a very difficult subject to discuss.
hallucination the word itself and we automatically think lsd,drugs and such.
but if there is no drug involved then what about the pineal gland that secretes dmt and melatonin of which can cause dreams and hallucinations.

there have been tests where a patient has had the top of the skull removed and doctors have prodded and probed certain areas and the patient has remembered smells such as roses or chocolate or a perfume that is not present but a memory of a smell.
i,m pretty sure this could be the same of images and such!
just prod a certain part of the brain and release the memory there that is contained.

problem is when we see things that we have not experienced in life !you may see people whome you have never seen before,geometrical shapes,auras,flitting movement out of the corner of your eye.
can these also be down to deterioration of the brain or eyes?
then what if two people have a similar experience?no drugs,no deterioration of the mind.what do we call that?

there are people out there with psychic abilities in different areas of awareness from the shaman to the healer,the seer to the clairaudience.
if we do not know what we are seeing or experiencing look to get it validated.keep away from the gp,s they will send you off in a white van.

ps i saw some sacred geometry in my bedroom once and that led me down a whole new rabbit hole.