PDA

View Full Version : The Woman Who Changed Her Brain - Barbara Arrowsmith-Young

Calabash
6th September 2014, 11:02
Nuroplasticity of the Brain

An extremely heart-warming video in my view, as the parent of a child (now a beautiful young woman) who would benefit greatly from neuropasticity. This particular treatment is not (yet) available in the UK, although it is in the schools USA, Canada and Australia

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0td5aw1KXA

Although this treatment is used primarily for people with learning difficulties, it is only a matter of time (perhaps it's happening now) where everybody will be able to rewire their brains and have the ability to change their skillset and have more control their own destinies. As usual, the possibilities - both good and bad - are endless.

Note: when I say this particular treatment is not available in the Uk, I mean Barbara Arrowsmith's course. Nuroplasticity is of course very much on the agenda in all countries. It's just a case of finding it and how you can get it.

The One
6th September 2014, 12:03
I can see the case for this and against this by parents.Make you wonder though how far they are going with things.Some people believe that we are born the way we are for a reason and that we should be accepted just the way we are but sometimes society does not allow us to do that

I remember watching a documentary of a downs syndrome child who had wealthy parents.They decided for their child for him to have facial surgery so he would not look like a down syndrome child anymore.Their excuse for doing this is that he would fit into society more.I think it was more for them.After seeing the child in hospital with all the bandages around his head i was in tears.I think they were so wrong for doing this they could not change the child from within.

Thats my thoughts

Cheers

Ria
6th September 2014, 13:34
Getting the balance right is very important. There needs to be acceptance for different's and a love for them to. Change may be good for some, discernment paramount as judgment can be heavy handed.
Regarding Down's syndrome almost all are very loving beings, why change them at all.

BabaRa
6th September 2014, 18:39
More and more parents here in the states refuse to accept doctors predictions that their downs syndrome child has limited learning abilities. They work with them when they are young and try loving methods of alternative type teaching until they find some way to connect to (or perhaps rewire) their child's brain. Consequently these children often get to the point where they can attend 'regular' schools. I realize there are still many parents who are not dealing with these children in loving accepting ways, but the numbers are slowly changing in the right direction.

The attached heart-warming article is just one of many of these children. This boy took regular high school classes, plays cymbals in the band and is on the bowling team.
His mother said inclusion benefited his classmates, too, opening their eyes to the potential of people with intellectual disabilities. He was ultimately voted as Home Coming King by his school mates.

http://www.omaha.com/news/boy-with-down-syndrome-crowned-homecoming-king-at-papio-lv/article_82605420-e284-50e2-917f-f3211571a0cb.html

Calabash
6th September 2014, 22:02
I can see the case for this and against this by parents.Make you wonder though how far they are going with things.Some people believe that we are born the way we are for a reason and that we should be accepted just the way we are but sometimes society does not allow us to do that

I remember watching a documentary of a downs syndrome child who had wealthy parents.They decided for their child for him to have facial surgery so he would not look like a down syndrome child anymore.Their excuse for doing this is that he would fit into society more.I think it was more for them.After seeing the child in hospital with all the bandages around his head i was in tears.I think they were so wrong for doing this they could not change the child from within.

Thats my thoughts

Cheers

I can understand where they're coming from Malc although, with a child with learning difficulties - which Downs children have as well - they might look the same but the rest of the pack quickly ascertains that there is somethign "wrong" and they still become outcasts, even more so maybe. My daughter suffered terrible bullying at school and still has low self-esteem to this day. Her father and I felt at the time that she should attend mainstream school because ultimately she would have to find her own way in life (independence) and we thought it would be easier for her to fit in. Neuroplasticity would certainly have helped her. I wonder whether it would work for Down's children and it might be worthwhile finding out just to give him every opportunity available. . . . .

In another scenario, I have a cousin who was brilliant at school and looked set to have the most wonderful successful future. However, he suffered a stroke while at university, which was a life changing event. Neuroplasticity has helped him over the years and rewired his brain so that he is now able to walk and talk.

The One
7th September 2014, 07:06
I wonder whether it would work for Down's children and it might be worthwhile finding out just to give him every opportunity available. . . . .

There are different types of Down Syndrome we are fortunate that Nathan is on the brighter side and will have some sort of independence.Even though he will always need a bit of help and this is my own opinion i would never look into this.We love him just the way he is and would not change him for the anything.

I can understand though why parents would look into this to give their children more independence

Cheers