PDA

View Full Version : It sticks in their craw that Shakespeare was a man like you or I

Herbert
1st September 2014, 22:12
The so-called elite can’t stand the thought that Shakespeare wrote Shakespeare. I can vouch, based on my own father’s education, that grade 8 of the early 20th century gave far more eloquence, knowledge and the tools for learning than a PhD degree of today. Shakespeare was in touch with his feelings and showed great empathy for his characters. The so-called “elite” have been duped most of all into thinking themselves superior to any ordinary person.

D2YHLjE1Wh4

I’ve been saying much of this for years and finally someone who agrees.

KosmicKat
2nd September 2014, 12:00
Personally, I am persuaded that Kit Marlowe (http://www2.prestel.co.uk/rey/), who was supposedly murdered in very suspicious circumstances may at least have ghost-written Scribbling-Bill's plays.

And then, just to derail the thread :eyebrows:, there's the whole question of the "Bisley boy (http://www.elizabethfiles.com/the-bisley-boy/3255/)." I wasn't really paying attention when the phrase came up, and haven't been able to find it since but something about Gloriana being known as "Fair Oriana" and "not able to receive a man" ...?

shamanseeker
3rd September 2014, 13:07
Christopher Marlowe was a spy and that is why he was finished off. I can't believe that his plays were written by the same person who wrote Shakespeare's. They were very different in style.

Don't worry, Kosmic: I don't think you've derailed the thread ;) The so-called élite cannot stand the fact that a commoner could have written better plays than their peers. Phillip Spenser wrote in the Faerie Queene that only aristocrats have noble souls and can be virtuous. This is the general thought amongst the 'nobles' who really believe, even today, that only they are noble. Here, in Italy, they're convinced Shakespeare was Italian because they find it hard to accept that an Englishman could have been such a great writer.