PDA

View Full Version : Cows hold me hostage

Ria
7th August 2014, 22:56
I have just spent three hours trapped by a hundred cows in a field .

I went exploring new ground.
I thought nothing of the cows munching the grass.
A lose group of runners went by the cows had formed a large group and now showed interest in the runners and began to follow them, I started back this meant intersecting the path, unbeknown to me their attention had diverted to my self and had picked up a pace, glancing back to see if the sun was close to setting I saw the situation, about tobe stampeded on open ground, made a dash for some trees, just in time I was completely surrounded picked up a chunky branch and sat on top of a large fallen tree trunk. They jostled each other into a tight pack around to sniff me out. Shouting or banging the stick would startle them but with in seconds there'd be moving in closer, this went on for a good hour, praying for them to get board
I don't think they were out to get me lol.
Just there sheer size could knock me down by accident and get mowed down under foot . After they moved on I tried another root unsuccessfully, the cows had moved to my exit so I had to zig zag between trees at opportune moments to get closer, now with two big sticks I had to wait it out again, with my back ageist a tree it was touch and go. well I made it. :ok: you'll be happy to know, well some of you possibly lol.

norman
8th August 2014, 01:45
Cattle are very nosy creatures. Their size can be frightening for people who aren't used to being up close with them.

You say 'Cows'. Where they really Cows, or were they youngsters? Younger cattle can be the nosiest of them all.

In general, cattle are not anything like as dangerous as your imagination would have it. Mothers with young calves can be tricky and best to stay well away from them but they are not likely to come bothering you if you don't bother them. Bulls ( and some bulls don't look very bull like ) can also be a tad dodgy if the fancy takes them. They tend to want to be the 'big shot' when they are with mature females and can sometimes become aggressive but they do tend to reveal their intentions quite well so you'd know to get out of the way in time.

Other than the points I've just made, the danger around cattle is proportional to the amount you spook their curiosity. If you don't look, feel and smell very bothered, they will stay quite passively curious even when they come right up to you and sniff or have a little lick of your extremities. If you leg-it off across a field they may well give chase for the fun of it. Even so, they won't harm you as long as nothing drives them too nuts about the activities going on their field.

One thing that can make cattle frisky and rough is when they are parched or irritated by heat and insects. At such times, you might see a few of them running around with their tails up. That's probably not a great time to try to be friends with them ;)

Oh, another thing to consider is the color of your clothes. Bright colors make them more nosy and determined to get close.

Sooz
8th August 2014, 07:34
Oh Ria, I can totally relate to this! Same thing happened to me many years ago. Don't even remember why I was out there in the friggin' first place. Anyway I was alone, and they became very curious, slowly inching towards me in a herd. I was yelling out to my husband to come and get me. Me being a city slicker and my then husband who grew up on a farm, thought it was hilarious. Yup. I was terrified, I mean I could see the whites of their eyes.:shocked:

He yelled out to make a commotion, jump up and down and swing your arms about.:frantic: That only made the *******s more curious! Great advice. :crazy: Unlike you I had nowhere to go and I was starting to panic. The more I yelled and jumped up and down, the more curious they became - they surrounded me. I thought, that's it, this is how I'm going to die. By now I was almost beside myself. Then my husband and my son (who was about 3), drove up on the motorbike outside the fence with my young son yelling out 'don't worry mummy, we're coming to rescue you'. Bless him.

It wasn't the cows I was really worried about, it was the bulls. Ferocious looking things. I don't drink scotch, but after that I seriously needed one and it was only 10 in the morning. A few ciggies had to suffice.:ok:

Ria
8th August 2014, 09:21
Yes I was wareing a bright top.
They were mature, most with there nuts gone as far as I could see and at least three were trying to hump what ever they could.:nails:
It was the runners that had set them off with there fluorescent outfits.
It was the shear numbers you could not get a paper between them.
The next field had younger ones, that just run away. :scrhd: just to old for them I suppose.

My friend sent me this.

"Mooooooo I must admit I'm sitting here laughing while having my morning coffee. This is what happens when us city girls want the idealic life in the country & go for a lovely walk. Next time take: a large fork, a bottle of Evian, stun gun, dog biscuits, sandwich air rifle & tent....... And have u got ur designer wellies yet !?! "

Ria
8th August 2014, 11:26
Think they fancied you Ria lol. Lucky you didn't get humped. Pls be carefully in future, cos if you die death by cow I will not be able to not laugh (the laughing cow) moo lol. Love xx

I thought you would like the follow up :ttr:

Sooz
8th August 2014, 12:10
Truly giggling here, because I can relate. Tears in my eyes laughing. Nothing like a few bulls on heat that weigh a ton or more to get a woman frightened when one is all alone. All jokes aside it really was very scary. Especially if they want to sniff one's nethers. Not that has ever happened to me, but geez, what if? 'Jeebus', to use Spiral's favourite word of the moment.

Well, at least I lived to tell the tale.:priest:

Ria
8th August 2014, 12:20
My sister response (father kept red cows with long horns)
"I'm sure father had a good laugh. As long as you don't carry any plastic you should be fine. They like to chew on plastic. Xxx"

As an aside my father survived the stampede(with injuries of corse) he continued to keep cows, I can only assume he got kick in the head. :ttr:

Moooving on....

Ria
8th August 2014, 15:22
I got it wrong, I stand corrected by my sister(I lived apart from my father)

"Not mooooving on yet, have to rectify the 'stampede' scenario. it was 'one' ox that had eaten the poison leaf in the dry time before the rain. They become crazy and disorientated. He was trying to get the 'beast' to take in some medicine. Yes he loved them like Mandela he used to look after them when he was merely a little boy of 7 to 10 or so. Luckily our father was also made of steal and survived the shuffle with only 2 broken ribs. Xxxx"

I seem to remember something els, hey ho.:hmm:

ronin
8th August 2014, 15:39
Ria you are lucky,there are a few reports of cows stampeding people when they are trying to protect their young.
especially dog walkers.
although this is rare it does happen.
happy that you have not been hurt or injured:h5:

Stoat muldoon
8th August 2014, 16:43
They're still looking for Ria , glad you're Ok :hugs:

http://youtu.be/GpG4ABilGzY

markoid
9th August 2014, 01:57
Ah yes, one should always, but always, travel with a small jazz ensemble to distract them when negotiating cow country.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lXKDu6cdXLI

Sooz
9th August 2014, 03:14
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MWfocJPpIeA

Ria
9th August 2014, 08:37
Are we a bunch of mad cows or what here!
In a mad way it has been very entertaining, so thank-you for that.
I have been sending out your cow videos snippets to my family and friends, their wondering about me.:crazy:
Sooz that's priceless.

Sooz
9th August 2014, 08:44
Sometimes with what we cover here, it's timely to just do stoopid stuff. It balances things out. I don't know about anyone else but I need these stupid/crazy episodes to keep my head sane in insane times.