PDA

View Full Version : Law enforcement and the deaf.

Ria
26th July 2014, 15:24
Urge the DOJ to provide critical guidance on how the police engage with the deaf

https://www.aclu.org/secure/police_training_deaf_rights?sid=2557677

Being stopped by the police can be difficult for everyone. For those of us who are deaf, the experience can be far worse.

For Pearl Pearson, a 64-year-old deaf man, a routine traffic stop led to a brutal assault by police. When an officer shouted instructions, he attempted to show the patrolman that he was deaf. That’s when the officer pulled him from his car and according to Pearson, beat him for not following verbal orders.

The Department of Justice can help put an end to these tragedies. Police departments need up-to-date guidance and training from the DOJ on how law enforcement must interact with deaf and hard of hearing individuals, as obligated under the Americans with Disabilities Act.

We know the DOJ is listening. Mobilized by violence against transgender individuals, activists recently pushed the DOJ to issue similar guidance on how law enforcement must interact with the trans community.

The police are here to serve and protect us all – including the deaf and hard of hearing. Let’s make sure they get the guidance and training they need to fulfill their duty. Sign the petition to the DOJ now.

I just signed a petition to ask the DOJ to issue guidance and trainings on how law enforcement must interact with the deaf. Will you join me in taking action?

Tell @TheJusticeDept: police must be trained to interact w/ the deaf community. www.aclu.org/assaultondeaf

Have you heard Pearl Pearson's story? According to reports, he was assaulted by police officers when he tried to signal to them that he is deaf.

I just signed a petition to Attorney General Eric Holder to ask that the Department of Justice issue guidance on how law enforcement should interact with deaf and hard of hearing individuals, as obligated under the Americans with Disabilities Act. Guidance and training from the DOJ could help end tragedies like this one.

Let's join together and ensure police are properly trained to interact with the deaf community.
https://www.aclu.org/secure/police_training_deaf_rights?ms=web_acluaction_1407 24_deafassault_taf