PDA

View Full Version : Inspirational quotes

Tribe
11th July 2014, 08:07
I will start this off with this lovely piece of advice from Max Ehrmann

http://i1333.photobucket.com/albums/w639/babyhurricaine/1-tree-of-life-fraida-gutovich_zps04e17232.jpg (http://s1333.photobucket.com/user/babyhurricaine/media/1-tree-of-life-fraida-gutovich_zps04e17232.jpg.html)

“Go placidly amid the noise and the haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender, be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly, and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story. Be yourself. Especially do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love – for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment is it perennial as the grass. Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you from misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should. Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be, and whatever your labours and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul. With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world.”

― Max Ehrmann, Desiderata: A Poem for a Way of Life

Sooz
11th July 2014, 08:37
Takes me back to my high school days. We all knew that poem off by heart.

I had a poster of the words on my bedroom wall.

Those words were in a popular song back then.

Maybe that's why the older ones are here agitating for change.

Mind control? Perhaps for balance and to see who wins.

KosmicKat
11th July 2014, 11:57
I've been amused to see a van parked next to a construction site in town recently with the legend on the back (where following drivers will be exposed to it):

"Do, or do not. There is no try."

norman
11th July 2014, 13:02
Hi Tribe, this one is more of an inspirational warning. I hope it's not off topic, you can bin it if it is.

It's Theodore Roszak, in the foreword to his 1970 book "The Making of a Counter Culture".

...........If the resistance of the counter culture fails, I think there will be nothing in store for us but what anti-Utopians like Huxley and Orwell have forecast - though I have no doubt that these dismal despotisms will be far more stable and effective than their prophets have foreseen, for they will be equipped with techniques of inner-manipulation as unobtrusively fine as gossamer.

Above all, the capacity of our emerging technocratic paradise to denature the imagination by appropriating to itself the whole meaning of reason, reality, progress and knowledge will render it impossible for men to give any name to their bothersomely unfulfilled potentialities but that of madness, and for such madness, humanitarian therapies will be generously provided...........

Moonlight
12th July 2014, 02:25
http://www.wordsonimages.com/pics/67288-The+little+prince+love+quotes.jpg

Tribe
12th July 2014, 08:14
I've been amused to see a van parked next to a construction site in town recently with the legend on the back (where following drivers will be exposed to it):

"Do, or do not. There is no try."

This one keeps cropping up at essential times of my life , like you Kk i see it unisual places and it really kicks me up the wotsit ;) its a great mantra ! Xx

Moonlight
12th July 2014, 13:02
http://sureshg.files.wordpress.com/2013/10/rumi-suresh.jpg

ronin
12th July 2014, 14:23
for those walking the path especially in winter.

where that path has been tread by many before you.

take heed.

never eat yellow snow.:hilarious:

Tribe
12th July 2014, 14:48
http://i1069.photobucket.com/albums/u476/Quotes-byTT/dontcrybecause.jpg

Moonlight
13th July 2014, 00:04
for those walking the path especially in winter.

where that path has been tread by many before you.

take heed.

never eat yellow snow.:hilarious:

Dreamed I was an Eskimo
Frozen wind began to blow
Under my boots and around my toes
The frost that bit the ground below
It was a hundred degrees below zero...

And my mama cried
And my mama cried
Nanook, a-no-no
Nanook, a-no-no
Don't be a naughty Eskimo
Save your money, don't go to the show

Well I turned around and I said "Oh, oh" Oh
Well I turned around and I said "Oh, oh" Oh
Well I turned around and I said "Ho, Ho"
And the northern lights commenced to glow
And she said, with a tear in her eye
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow"
"Watch out where the huskies go, and don't you eat that yellow snow"

F. Zappa

http://youtu.be/TLIppgE45wM

:ttr:

Moonlight
13th July 2014, 18:55
http://flywithmeproductions.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/elephant-walklight-rumi-quote.jpg

Altaira
14th July 2014, 05:42
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t1.0-9/1535041_713655545358260_8650636859528537799_n.jpg

Altaira
14th July 2014, 06:20
https://scontent-a-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xaf1/t1.0-9/10557407_1451796515090434_8870476068777641396_n.jp g

ronin
14th July 2014, 16:36
never judge your neighbor until you have walked a mile in his moccasins.

some old american Indian guy.

ronin
14th July 2014, 16:45
i,m tired of dying now i want to live.

me.

Tribe
14th July 2014, 17:37
http://i224.photobucket.com/albums/dd91/kristyrn28/Mooji1.jpg

Water has no shape, its nature is to flow. If you put it into a vase it will take the shape of the vase. In this cup, it has assumed the shape of the cup. If poured into my cupped hands it will take the shape of the hands. But water has no shape. It is the same with the consciousness, which is subtler than water. It similarly has no form, but it assumes the form of whatever concept it is poured into or identifies with, but it will never be the form.
It remains ever its formless nature.

Mooji

ronin
14th July 2014, 17:45
Water has no shape, its nature is to flow. If you put it into a vase it will take the shape of the vase. In this cup, it has assumed the shape of the cup. If poured into my cupped hands it will take the shape of the hands. But water has no shape. It is the same with the consciousness, which is subtler than water. It similarly has no form, but it assumes the form of whatever concept it is poured into or identifies with, but it will never be the form.

Mooji found himself after four years living as a homeless being!
tolle did the same!

and for all the rest of the homeless who are lost?

question are tolle and Mooji helping homeless people?
they may have had a experience that have changed their lifes but are they changing others without a admission fee?

Mooji[/QUOTE]

Tribe
14th July 2014, 17:48
A lengthy one but one that deserves it's place here ,words from the beautiful John O Donohue.

The Question Holds The Lantern
— John O’Donohue ©

Humans have an uncanny ability to domesticate everything they touch. Eventually, even the strangest things become absorbed into the routine of the daily mind with its steady geographies of endurance, anxiety and contentment. Only seldom does the haze lift, and we glimpse for a second, the amazing plenitude of being here. Sometimes, unfortunately, it is suffering or threat that awakens us. It could happen that one evening, you are busy with many things, netted into your role and the phone rings. Someone you love is suddenly in the grip of an illness that could end their life within hours. It only takes a few seconds to receive that news. Yet, when you put the phone down, you are already standing in a different world. All you know has just been rendered unsure and dangerous. You realise that the ground has turned into quicksand. Now it seems to you that even mountains are suspended on strings.

If you could imagine the most incredible story ever, it would be less incredible than the story of being here. And the ironic thing is that story is not a story, it is true. It takes us so long to see where we are. It takes us even longer to see who we are. This is why the greatest gift you could ever dream is a gift that you can only receive from one person. And that person is you yourself. Therefore, the most subversive invitation you could ever accept is the invitation to awaken to who you are and where you have landed. Plato said in The Symposium that one of the greatest privileges of a human life is to become midwife to the birth of the soul in another. When your soul awakens, you begin to truly inherit your life. You leave the kingdom of fake surfaces, repetitive talk and weary roles and slip deeper into the true adventure of who you are and who you are called to become. The greatest friend of the soul is the unknown. Yet we are afraid of the unknown because it lies outside our vision and our control. We avoid it or quell it by filtering it through our protective barriers of domestication and control. The normal way never leads home.

Once you start to awaken, no one can ever claim you again for the old patterns. Now you realise how precious your time here is. You are no longer willing to squander your essence on undertakings that do not nourish your true self; your patience grows thin with tired talk and dead language. You see through the rosters of expectation which promise you safety and the confirmation of your outer identity. Now you are impatient for growth, willing to put yourself in the way of change. You want your work to become an expression of your gift. You want your relationship to voyage beyond the pallid frontiers to where the danger of transformation dwells. You want your God to be wild and to call you to where your destiny awaits.

You have come out of Plato’s Cave of Images into the sunlight and the mystery of colour and imagination. When you begin to sense that your imagination is the place where you are most divine, you feel called to clean out of your mind all the worn and shabby furniture of thought. You wish to refurbish yourself with living thought so that you can begin to see. As Meister Eckhart says: Thoughts are our inner senses. When the inner senses are dull and blurred, you can see nothing in or of yourself; you become a respectable prisoner of received images. Now you realise that ‘eternal vigilance is the price of liberty’ and you undertake the difficult but beautiful path to freedom. On this journey, you begin to see how the sides of your heart that seemed awkward, contradictory and uneven are the places where the treasure lies hidden. You begin to become true to yourself. And as Shakespeare says in Hamlet: To thine own self be true, then as surely as night follows day, thou canst to no man be false.

The journey shows you that from this inner dedication you can reconstruct your own values and action. You develop from your own self-compassion a great compassion for others. You are no longer caught in the false game of judgement, comparison and assumption. More naked now than ever, you begin to feel truly alive. You begin to trust the music of your own soul; you have inherited treasure that no one will ever be able to take from you. At the deepest level, this adventure of growth is in fact a transfigurative conversation with your own death. And when the time comes for you to leave, the view from your death bed will show a life of growth that gladdens the heart and takes away all fear.

Tribe
14th July 2014, 17:49

Mooji found himself after four years living as a homeless being!
tolle did the same!

and for all the rest of the homeless who are lost?

question are tolle and Mooji helping homeless people?
they may have had a experience that have changed their lifes but are they changing others without a admission fee?

Mooji[/QUOTE]

Hey ronin , it's just a inspirational quote ;)

norman
17th July 2014, 22:18
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-YpxujuvQNmY/UG_1_kdoGFI/AAAAAAAAIUs/_OeMTgGsB40/s1600/It%27s+easier+to+fool+people+than+to+convince+them +they+have+been+fooled.jpg#it%20is%20easier%20to%2 0fool%20someone%20657x659

norman
18th July 2014, 00:20
http://liveandlearn.it/uploads/main/The-Best-Things-Art-Buchard-Large.png

Catsquotl
18th July 2014, 04:38
“Trust is like a mirror, you can fix it if it's broken, but you can still see the crack in that mother ****er's reflection.”
― Lady Gaga

"... There is an African saying which is: Be careful when a naked person offers you a shirt.”
― Maya Angelou

“The beginning of love is the will to let those we love be perfectly themselves, the resolution not to twist them to fit our own image. If in loving them we do not love what they are, but only their potential likeness to ourselves, then we do not love them: we only love the reflection of ourselves we find in them”
― Thomas Merton, No Man Is an Island

“We are all mistaken sometimes; sometimes we do wrong things, things that have bad consequences. But it does not mean we are evil, or that we cannot be trusted ever afterward.”
― Alison Croggon

“One should never trust a woman who tells one her real age. A woman who would tell one that would tell one anything.”
― Oscar Wilde

“Why must you speak your thoughts? Silence, if fair words stick in your throat, would serve all our ends better.”
― J.R.R. Tolkien, The Children of Húrin

“Honesty doesn't mean you reveal everything you discern and feel. That is why we have the word discretion...”
― Assegid Habtewold, The 9 Cardinal Building Blocks: For Continued Success in Leadership

With Love
Eelco
(ps if you ever get blinded by that yellow snow Moonlight talked about...
Go to Saint alphonzo's and order his pancake breakfast.. That will help)

http://youtu.be/yzfzsKENCbU

john parslow
18th July 2014, 08:13
Some intellectual quotes by Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi (2 October 1869 – 30 January 1948)

A man is but the product of his thoughts. What he thinks, he becomes.

If one has no affection for a person or a system, one should feel free to give the fullest expression to his disaffection so long as he does not contemplate, promote, or incite violence.

Seven social sins: politics without principles, wealth without work, pleasure without conscience, knowledge without character, commerce without morality, science without humanity, and worship without sacrifice.

The cry for peace will be a cry in the wilderness, so long as the spirit of nonviolence does not dominate millions of men and women.

"Hate the sin and not the sinner" is a precept which, though easy enough to understand, is rarely practiced, and that is why the poison of hatred spreads in the world.

To call woman the weaker sex is a libel; it is man's injustice to woman.

… and my favourite: When asked by a reporter what he thought of Western civilization he replied, “I think it would be a good idea.”

ronin
18th July 2014, 09:16
“Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food”

Hippocrates

Tribe
24th July 2014, 16:37
The poet-saint Kabir says:

Are you looking for me?
I am in the next seat.
My shoulder is against yours.
you will not find me in the stupas,
not in Indian shrine rooms,
nor in synagogues,
nor in cathedrals:
not in masses,
nor kirtans,
not in legs winding around your own neck,
nor in eating nothing but vegetables.
When you really look for me,
you will see me instantly —
you will find me in the tiniest house of time.
Kabir says: Student, tell me, what is God?
He is the breath inside the breath.

gardener
25th July 2014, 20:46
sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored they go out for a stroll though my mouth. this is rarely a good thing

BabaRa
26th July 2014, 02:11
sometimes the thoughts in my head get so bored they go out for a stroll though my mouth. this is rarely a good thing

I can relate to that! .................and sometimes, rather than strolling through my mouth, they stroll through my fingers, which type on my computer, this can also be not a good thing.

Seikou-Kishi
26th July 2014, 06:14
"None of us lives forever, carissime. Living well and dying well: these are our choices."

"Stand unshaken in the gale; you are [family name removed]"

"Freely admit and freely dismiss; the greatest goods become wretched in captivity."

"Conquer the sea and the wind escapes. To be sure, conquer yourself."

"What use is a lamp extinguished by darkness? Honour is most necessary when it is most difficult."

"A leader's place is beneath the people holding them up, not above the people holding them down."

"Dignity is never taken but surrendered, honour never violated but sacrificed."

Various members of my family.

norman
2nd August 2014, 20:50
https://scontent-b-ams.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10552367_773250096065471_8818577765173645808_n.png ?oh=bc4dd367985adad0641a8b8a889934d8&oe=544412A8

Moonlight
9th August 2014, 01:25
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xaf1/t1.0-9/1174881_369141583189180_437322035_n.jpg

sandancer
9th August 2014, 17:11
To BaBaRa and gardener

My brain is like The Bermuda Triangle

Stuff goes in there and is never seen or heard from again !

To All

Be humble for you are made of earth

Be noble for you are made of stars

Serbian Proverb.

BabaRa
10th August 2014, 19:55
https://fbcdn-sphotos-f-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/q81/s720x720/15636_10152305420298581_4559012159705961078_n.jpg

Tribe
29th August 2014, 18:10
Finish every day and be done with it… You have done what you could; some blunders and absurdities no doubt crept in; forget them as soon as you can. Tomorrow is a new day. You shall begin it serenely and with too high a spirit to be encumbered with your old nonsense. –-Ralph Waldo Emerson

norman
1st September 2014, 18:25
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/t1.0-9/10403076_10153133355743868_365982746132733272_n.jp g

Tribe
22nd January 2015, 21:41
RISKS

To laugh is to risk appearing the fool,
To weep is to risk being called sentimental.
To reach out to another is to risk involvement.
To expose feelings is to risk showing your true self.
To place your ideas and your dreams before the crowd is to risk being called naive.
To love is to risk not being loved in return,
To live is to risk dying,
To hope is to risk despair,
To try is to risk failure

But risks must be taken, because the greatest risk in life is to risk nothing.
The person who risks nothing, does nothing, has nothing, is nothing, and becomes nothing.
He may avoid suffering and sorrow, but he simply cannot learn, feel, change, grow or love.
Chained by his certitude, he is a slave; he has forfeited his freedom.
Only the person who risks is truly free.

Tribe
22nd January 2015, 21:46
Little Roads To Happiness
The little roads to happiness, they are not hard to find;
They do not lead to great success-but to a quiet mind.
They do not lead to mighty power, nor to substantial wealth.
They bring one to a book, a flower, a song of cheer and health.

The little roads to happiness are free to everyone;
They lead one to the wind's caress, to kiss of friendly sun.
These little roads are shining white, for all the world to see;
Their sign-boards, pointing left and right, are love and sympathy.

The little roads of happiness have this most charming way;
No matter how they may digress throughout the busy day;
No matter where they twist and wind through fields of rich delight,
They're always of the self same mind to lead us home at night.

- Wilhelmina Stitch

Altaira
22nd January 2015, 23:03
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10922428_780982531988545_1061143014747635977_n.jpg ?oh=700845b23b1b479aebcaa0472002f400&oe=55664222&__gda__=1429174187_cabe4fc6206153d6db77bd8f9ec30cb 5

Altaira
24th February 2015, 12:35
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/v/t1.0-9/10492118_955839564448363_5158046773439721825_n.jpg ?oh=f51cc1f3001d6e0a1663d9a2dd19f6e8&oe=5553985E&__gda__=1435741570_628d0be046e41a30e9f0f8a32199695 9

Altaira
26th February 2015, 23:02
https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpa1/v/t1.0-9/14072_533625146780775_6465749188980769611_n.jpg?oh =75b79498310bdd1cca7e5e7a3396b7ee&oe=5587FAA6

Altaira
27th February 2015, 21:25
https://fbcdn-sphotos-a-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xfp1/v/t1.0-9/10338299_789604441120733_7698593692197693114_n.jpg ?oh=baa4849bcbc974239f9a0508117312fc&oe=55865388&__gda__=1433965313_0e878098344a195812e18cfc416501c 2

Moonlight
28th February 2015, 13:14
http://quotes.land/wp-content/uploads/2013/02/Music-dancing-rumi-quotes.jpg