PDA

View Full Version : Near-death experiences are overwhelmingly peaceful

skywizard
27th June 2014, 13:22
Near-death experiences often feature out-of-body episodes
http://www.newscientist.com/data/images/ns/cms/dn25794/dn25794-1_300.jpg Near-death experiences are rare, but if you have one, it is likely to be overwhelmingly peaceful, however painful it might have been to get to that stage. This is the conclusion from the first study into how the cause of trauma affects the content of a near-death experience.

Such episodes are often described as emotionally rich, involving out-of-body sensations, tunnels of light and flashbacks. They most often occur when a person has been resuscitated after a traumatic event.

Steven Laureys, a neuroscientist at the University of Ličge in Belgium who works with people in comas and vegetative states, started to investigate after his patients told him of their own near-death experiences. "I kept hearing these incredible stories in my consultations," he says. "Knowing how abnormal brain activity is during a cardiac arrest or trauma, it was impressive how rich these memories were. It was very intriguing."

There are several hypothesises as to how these events arise, such as lack of oxygen to the brain or damage to areas that control emotion. "So you'd expect to see differences between near-death experiences after drowning and those of other traumas," he says.

His team looked at 190 documented events that resulted from traumas including cardiac arrest, drowning, head injury and high anxiety. Using statistical analysis and a measurement called the Greyson scale to assess the number and intensity of different features of the near-death experiences, the team discovered that surprisingly, the reports shared many similarities.

Not like the movies

The most common feature was an overwhelming feeling of peacefulness. The next most common was an out-of-body experience. And many people felt a change in their perception of how time was passing. There were only a few examples of negative experiences. "It turns out to be not so bad to have a dying experience," says Laureys.

Having a life flashback or a vision of the future – the kinds of things often depicted in Hollywood movies – were only reported by a small minority of people.

Laureys's team will now try to find an objective measure of such experiences by scanning the entire brains of people who say they have just had a near-death experience after a cardiac arrest. The team will look for small scars that might reflect the after-effects of the event.

Laureys is aware of the difficulties in investigating something so subjective, but is trying to tackle the subject with an open mind. "We need to accept there are many things we don't understand, but it's important to apply the best scientific method we can" he says. "It's a first step in understand something that is really interesting and could ultimately provide a better understanding of consciousness."

The oldest near-death experience
Near-death experiences have been passed down through folklore, myth and storytelling since ancient civilisations. The oldest medical description of such an event dates back to the 18th century. Philippe Charlier at the University of Versailles in Montigny-le-Bretonneux, France, who researches the history of diseases, describes in the journal Resuscitation how he discovered the reference in an old medical textbook from 1766 called Anecdotes de médecine.

The description was written by Pierre-Jean du Monchaux, a French military physician. He tells the story of a patient with a fever who'd had several blood-letting treatments. The patient was unconscious for a long time but when he awoke he reported that after he lost all external sensations, he saw "such a pure and extreme light that he thought he was in the Kingdom of the Blessed". He told du Monchaux that he remembered the sensation well, and said that "never of all his life had he had a nicer moment".

Source: http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn25794-neardeath-experiences-are-overwhelmingly-peaceful.html#.U61skCr5zlw

peace...

Maggie
28th May 2017, 20:27
This is really deep and helpful to me

Amy Call had a profound near-death experience in 2003 as a result of an allergic reaction to medication. Amy will discuss her experience, including that of coming through a portal and encountering two major aspects of herself: one part of self was egoic self or personality self, reflective of who she was in Earth life. The other self she encountered was universal, timeless and part of the all. Both experiences seemed to occur simultaneously. Amy learned the importance of humility in the egoic portal area. She met a young woman who had died at about the same time Amy did. She gave Amy information about herself and her death telepathically. After Amy came back to her body, she was able to find the young woman’s mother and let her know her daughter was alright. Amy will also discuss her life review, where she came to understand love through its highest frequency, and the importance of forgiveness. She will relate how she learned to care for herself, heal herself as well as relate information she was given regarding our planet. Amy will also share some after death experiences that occurred after her return to her body.

I9Y3WnsaejA

Dumpster Diver
28th May 2017, 22:32
NDEs kinda reminds me of the Will Rogers quote:

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”

Maggie
28th May 2017, 23:52

“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”
OK, so I'd have laughed but I heard it before. Jokes like that only seem good once.

Like this one
Your superpower must be making people laugh......
Here are other sarcastic one liners for your collection (http://onelinefun.com/sarcastic/)

Dumpster Diver
29th May 2017, 00:22
Thanks Maggie, I enjoyed several of those.

Another from Will Rogers I like:

"I am not a member of any organized political party. I am a Democrat."

Greenbarry
29th May 2017, 01:22
being a NDE survivor.. that is when my world turned upside down and "things" were/are way different. A whole new way of life began.

Dreamtimer
29th May 2017, 04:01

OK. I guffawed out loud. Then I asked my husband if that's really a Will Rogers quote. He confirmed.

As far as NDEs go, I know a few who could learn such lessons.:yoda:

Dumpster Diver
29th May 2017, 05:38
OK. I guffawed out loud. Then I asked my husband if that's really a Will Rogers quote. He confirmed.

As far as NDEs go, I know a few who could learn such lessons.:yoda:

Ok, I've probably karmically assured an NDE for myself here.

...kinda wish I could put "Pandora" back in her box.

Maggie
30th May 2017, 17:21
Scientific investigation of NDEs reveals:

In many cases after an NDE, the NDEr has a very rapid recovery from illness or traumatic injury. Also, many
times, the NDEr can accurately report seeing and hearing things that they could not have seen or heard by
ordinary means. These so-called “veridical perceptions” are a strong indication that the NDEr’s consciousness
has somehow in fact separated from the physical body.

Common elements
The accounts of NDEs are remarkably similar over a wide range of physiological and pathological conditions
that trigger the experience. NDEs can occur from acute trauma or illness, an allergic reaction, a severe
depression or simply the perception that one is in danger of dying. Yet each of these experiences has many of
the common elements—a feeling of peace, a sense of separation from the physical body, traveling through a
tunnel or dark space, being in a heavenly realm, meeting deceased relatives or spiritual beings, seeing a loving
being of immense light, having a life review, visiting a place where all knowledge exists, having a choice or
being told one needs to go back, and returning to the physical body.

Not hallucinations or illusions
NDEs are not hallucinations. People looking back on hallucinations typically recognize them as unreal, as
fantasies, whereas people typically describe their NDEs as ultra-real, more vivid and real than waking
consciousness. Hallucinations tend to be illogical, fleeting, bizarre or distorted, whereas the vast majority of
NDEs are logical, orderly and comprehensible. People tend to forget their hallucinations, whereas most NDEs
remain vivid for decades. NDEs often lead to profound and permanent transformations in personality,
attitudes, beliefs and values, something that is never seen following hallucinations. Furthermore, people who
have experienced both hallucinations and an NDE describe them as being quite different.

What NDEs tell us
The similarities among all NDEs, regardless of the conditions that triggered them, imply there is a commonality
among all of the cases that is not tied to specific physical or physiological conditions. Moreover, the common
element appears to be the state of the NDEr’s consciousness: vivid, ultra-real perceptions, lucid thought
processes, freedom from pain and the limitations of the body, and the sense of separation from the physical
body with veridical perceptions of the NDEr’s surroundings from a vantage point outside the body.
All of this strongly suggests that the NDEr’s consciousness in fact separates from the physical body and
operates independent of it during the NDE. And that implies that a person’s consciousness is an objective,
autonomous entity in the world. The conventional scientific theory is that consciousness is produced by the
brain’s electrical activity, but an equally valid interpretation—one which also explains NDE phenomena more
fully—is that the person’s “mind” or “soul” or “spirit” interfaces with the brain to produce consciousness. This
interpretation opens up a completely new way of viewing the nature of reality—that we are indeed, as
Teilhard de Chardin put it, “spiritual beings having a human experience”.What near-death experiences tell us
Robert Mays, B.Sc. www.selfconsciousmind.com (http://selfconsciousmind.com/WhatNDEsTellUs.pdf)

Slides for A theory of physical
interaction in NDE that
explains NDE aftereffects
Solving the “hard problem” of consciousness (http://selfconsciousmind.com/PhysicalInteractionsInNDE-Aftereffects-print.pdf)

Robert & Suzanne Mays - Physical interaction in NDEs: Solving the "hard problem" of cons. - 1 of 4

GyD6r-SEW8Y?list=PLEE7395AF86D021A7

lookbeyond
30th May 2017, 23:34

thanks Dumpster i LOL' d:hilarious:

Elen
1st June 2017, 16:39
I have had an NDE (a near death experience) and so I am maybe qualified to talk on the subject, who knows. Not many people do take it serious anyway. But I have seen what I saw and nothing can change that in my view, and also I have no fear of death after that. However I do not challenge people's fear of death...it's what it is. They say that when someone experiences an NDE they become more emphatic towards people, I think that applies a lot. I don't feel like attacking people for any reason at all. I feel what they feel...it may be politically wrong, but I feel it...THERE YOU ARE. But always with these things...people experience it within their own convictions...i.e. if you are a Catholic, you experience Saints or Mary, if you are a protestant, you experience Jesus etc. etc. Well here's another video about a Catholic person...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDWG_9-nN0

Maggie
1st June 2017, 17:17
I have had an NDE (a near death experience) and so I am maybe qualified to talk on the subject, who knows. Not many people do take it serious anyway. But I have seen what I saw and nothing can change that in my view, and also I have no fear of death after that. However I do not challenge people's fear of death...it's what it is. They say that when someone experiences an NDE they become more emphatic towards people, I think that applies a lot. I don't feel like attacking people for any reason at all. I feel what they feel...it may be politically wrong, but I feel it...THERE YOU ARE. But always with these things...people experience it within their own convictions...i.e. if you are a Catholic, you experience Saints or Mary, if you are a protestant, you experience Jesus etc. etc. Well here's another video about a Catholic person...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgDWG_9-nN0

Thank you so much for adding your experience. I would love to hear more of what you recall.

This talks about the way we could all apply lessons such as what we do to others we do to ourselves....
1tiKsKy7lFw

Elen
1st June 2017, 17:58
Thank you so much for adding your experience. I would love to hear more of what you recall.

This talks about the way we could all apply lessons such as what we do to others we do to ourselves....
1tiKsKy7lFw

This is what it is, Maggie...I feel it like it is, really...