PDA

View Full Version : History of the Tin Foil Hat

Sooz
1st May 2014, 10:20
Ha, ha, I was only pondering this, today.

About where the 'tin foil hat' came from - here ya go:

http://www.rumormillnews.com/cgi-bin/forum.cgi?read=306891April 30, 2014 | By Waking Times

Flickr-tin foil hat-Jonathan AbolinsGregg Prescott, M.S., In5D Guest
Waking Times

We have all heard of the tinfoil hat wearing conspiracy theorists but where did the aluminum foil hat idea come from, why do people wear tin foil hats and what are its origins?

Why would someone wear an aluminum foil hat?

People who wear tinfoil hats do so to

1. prevent extraterrestrial, governmental or secret society mind control

2. prevent others from using ESP on them and

3. deter EMPs and other microwave effects.

What is the oldest origin of tin foil hats?

One story states that the tin foil hat has its origins tied into the opposition of freemasonry when it began in 1717. As the story goes, non Freemasons were suspicious of the brotherhood and believed that the Mason were using forms of mind control on them. They began their own fraternity, called the “Mad Hatters” and upon learning about the protective properties of aluminum foil, they created their own hats made of this substance.

The Mad Hatters believed if you were wearing a tin foil hat, you were impervious to the mind control of the Freemasons.
What is the oldest recorded use of tinfoil hats?

The first recorded use of tin foil hats happened in 1927 as derived from a short story by Julian Huxley entitled, “The Tissue-Culture King” in which the protagonist discovers that “caps of metal foil” will block the effects of telepathy”. This was published in “The Yale Review” in April of 1926.

The following is an excerpt:

Well, we had discovered that metal was relatively impervious to the telepathic effect, and had prepared for ourselves a sort of tin pulpit, behind which we could stand while conducting experiments. This, combined withcaps of metal foil, enormously reduced the effects on ourselves.

Sooz
1st May 2014, 10:26
BTW, where has our member, 'Mad Hatter' got to?

If I recall, he was an Ozzy.....ha, ha, that explains everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8dNzRhMgk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PS8dNzRhMgk

Sooz
1st May 2014, 10:42
With regard to Julian Huxley's short story, 'The Tissue, Culture King', April 1926. (Mentioned in the third last sentence of the first post.)

Here it is:

http://www.revolutionsf.com/fiction/tissue/

The Tissue-Culture King

by

Julian Huxley

We had been for three days engaged in crossing a swamp. At last we were out on dry ground, winding up a gentle slope. Near the top the brush grew thicker. The look of a rampart grew as we approached; it had the air of having been delibentely planted by men. We did not wish to have to hack our way through the spiky barricade, so turned to the right along the front of the green wall After three or four hundred yards we came on a clearing which led into the bush, narrowing down to what seemed a regular passage or trackway. This made us a little suspicious. However, I thought we had better make all the progress we could, and so ordered the caravan to turn into the opening, myself taking second place behind the guide.

Suddenly the tracker stopped with a guttural exclamation. I looked, and there was one of the great African toads, hopping with a certain ponderosity across the path. But it had a second head growing upwards from its shoulders! I had never seen anything like this before, and wanted to secure such a remarkable monstrosity for our collections; but as I moved forward, the creature took a couple of hops into the shelter of the prickly scrub.

We pushed on, and I became convinced that the gap we were following was artificial. After a little, a droning sound came to our ears, which we very soon set down as that of a human voice. The party was halted, and I crept forward with the guide. Peeping through the last screen of brush we looked down into a hollow and were immeasurably startled at what we saw there. The voice proceeded from an enormous Negro man at least eight feet high, the biggest man I had ever seen outside a circus. He was squatting, from time to time prostrating the forepart of his body, and reciting some prayer or incantation. The object of his devotion was before him on the ground; it was a small flat piece of glass held on a little carved ebony stand. By his side was a huge spear, together with a painted basket with a lid.

After a minute or so, the giant bowed down in silence, then took up the ebony-and-glass object and placed it in the basket. Then to my utter amazement he drew out a two-headed toad like the first I had seen, but in a cage of woven grass, placed it on the ground, and proceeded to more genuflection and ritual murmurings. As soon as this was over, the toad was replaced, and the squatting giant tranquilly regarded the landscape.

Beyond the hollow or dell lay an undulating country, with clumps of bush. A sound in the middle distante attracted attention; glimpses of color moved through the scrub; and a party of three or four dozen men were seen approaching, most of them as gigantic as our first acquaintance. All marched in order, armed with great spears, and wearing colored loin straps with a sort of sportran, it seemed, in front. They were preceded by an intelligent-looking Negro of ordinary stature armed with a club, and accompanied by two figures more remarkable than the giants. They were undersized, almost dwarfish, with huge heads, and enormously fat and brawny both in face and body. They wore bright yellow cloaks over their black shoulders.

At sight of them, our giant rose and stood stiffly by the side of his basket. The party approached and halted. Some order was given, a giant stepped out from the ranks towards ours, picked up the basket, handed it stiffly to the newcomer, and fell into place in the little company. We were clearly witnessing some regular routine of relieving guard, and I was racking my brains to think what the whole thing might signify--guards, giants, dwarfs, toads--when to my dismay I heard an exclamation at my shoulder.

It was one of those damned porters, a confounded fellow who always liked to show his independence. Bored with waiting, I suppose, he had self-importantly crept up to see what it was all about, and the sudden sight of the company of giants had been too much for his nerves. I made a signal to lie quiet, but it was too late. The exclamation had been heard; the leader gave a quick command, and the giants rushed up and out in two groups to surround us.

Violence and resistance were clearly out of the question. With my heart in my mouth, but with as much dignity as I could muster, I jumped up and threw out my empty hands, at the same time telling the tracker not to shoot. A dozen spears seemed towering over me, but none were launched; the leader ran up the slope and gave a command. Two giants came up and put my hands through their arms. The tracker and the porter were herded in front at the spear point. The other porters now discovered there was something amiss, and began to shout and run away, with half the spearmen after them. We three were gently but firmly marched down and across the hollow.

I understood nothing of the language, and called to my tracker to try his hand. It turned out that there was some dialect of which he had a little understanding, and we could learn nothing save the fact that we were being taken to some superior authority.

For two days we were marched through pleasant park-like country, with villages at intervals. Every now and then some new monstrosity in the shape of a dwarf or an incredibly fat woman or a two-headed animal would be visible, until I thought I had stumbled on the original source of supply of circus freaks.

The country at last began to slope gently down to a pleasant river valley; and presently we neared the capital. It turned out to be a really large town for Africa, its mud walls of strangely impressive architectural form, with their heavy, slabby buttresses, and giants standing guard upon them. Seeing us approach, they shouted, and a crowd poured out of the nearest Gate. My God, what a crowd! I was getting used to giants by this time, but here was a regular Barnum and Bailey show; more semidwarfs; others like them but more so--one could not tell whether the creatures were precociously mature children or horribly stunted adults; others portentously fat, with arms like sooty legs of mutton, and rolls and volutes of fat crisping out of their steatopygous posteriors; still others precociously senile and wizened, others hateful and imbecile in looks. Of course, there were plenty of ordinary Negroes too, but enough of the extraordinary to make one feel pretty queer. Soon after we got inside, I suddenly noted something else which appeared inexplicable--a telephone wire, with perfectly good insulators, running across from tree to tree. A telephone--in an unknown African town. I gave it up.

But another surprise was in store for me. I saw a figure pass across from one large building to another--a figure unmistakably that of a white man. In the first place, it was wearing white ducks and sun helmet; in the second, it had a pale face.

Next

1st May 2014, 11:03
Wonderful Sooz!!

I always wondered the background to the tin foil hat and I have to be honest here.....I thought it was a figure of speech and didn't have any basis in reality :frantic:

My naivety has reached new levels as I really should have known that the CABAL was behind it.

Sooz
1st May 2014, 11:09
All news to me too mirror. Learn something new everyday.

1st May 2014, 11:17
All news to me too mirror. Learn something new everyday.

However upon reading the last bit by Julian Huxley, (the short story), I wonder if others may consider it 'politically incorrect'...I will let it stand unless others object.

Don't worry fear not.

They are words of another to be read in the context intended and time period they were written in. Otherwise I might find myself throwing toys out the pram at the use of the word "queer" lol.

Sooz
1st May 2014, 11:39
I understand. It's a bit like Cliven Bundy at 75 years of age, talking about the 'negroes'.

He was not being disrespectful at all. That was the name given in his day.

Sorry, this should be on the other thread. Sometimes conversations cross over, lol...