PDA

View Full Version : The Allure of Sedona's Vortex Sites

BabaRa
16th April 2014, 21:10
Note: Just returned from 12 days in Sedona. Will post my thoughts and experiences later. Besides the Vortexes, it claimes to have the most UFO sightings in the US.

Many people visit Sedona to explore its metaphysical dimensions, especially its vortexes. Page Bryant coined the name "vortex" in 1980 for areas in Sedona that have highly concentrated energies conducive to prayer, meditation and healing. Although the idea of a vortex in Sedona is relatively new, Sedona has been known as a sacred place long before that time. For hundreds of years, Native Americans have performed ceremony in Sedona, and some tribes continue to this day. "Sedona as a whole is a vortex, with the energy spread throughout it like a bowl," says adventure guide and author Dennis Andres in his book What Is a Vortex. Nonetheless, the term "vortex" has taken hold because it helps to explain people's experiences of well being at the sites that Bryant identified. Some scientists, such as Pete Sanders, Jr., believe that scientific string theory can help explain what happens at vortexes in dimensions beyond ordinary perception. In his book Scientific Vortex Information he says, "Even though we cannot measure those dimensions yet, you can still experience them because you exist in them. ...and so do the vortex sites. What is happening at the vortex sites is energy flow in those deeper dimensions. You have the inner ability to measure, feel, find and tap that energy."

What is the definition of "vortex"?
The term vortex refers to its less common definition: "A place or situation regarded as drawing into its center all that surrounds it." In other words, a vortex is a site where the energy of an area is concentrated. Because Sedona as a whole is known to be a spiritual power spot, a vortex site in Sedona is a place where one can feel Sedona's spiritual energy most strongly. Page Bryant, a medium, came up with the term while investigating sacred locations in the area.

What are the commonly identified vortexes in Sedona?
The commonly identified vortex areas are
Airport Mesa. Closest to the Uptown area of Sedona, it offers panoramic views. Bell Rock. Adjoining the Village of Oak Creek, it has an easily identifiable bell- shape formation.Boynton Canyon. Still a site for annual Native American ceremonies, this vortex is off Dry Creek Road in West Sedona and offers the longest hike of the four main vortex sites--up to three hours round trip.Cathedral Rock. Located on Lower Red Rock Loop Road, it is the most photographed site in Sedona. The cathedral-like structure rises above Oak Creek. "We consider these four areas just a fraction of the energy sources and sites that you can tap in Sedona," says Sanders. Other special places to connect with the sacred energy of Sedona include The Chapel of the Holy Cross, Schnebly Hill, West Fork and the Amitabha Stupa.

Are all vortexes the same?
Opinions differ. Some people say that all vortexes are equal in their ability to amplify energies; others will tell you that there are different qualities at different sites. Pete Sanders identifies some sites as upflow vortexes (where energy rises out of the earth); others as inflow vortexes (where energy flows into the earth). Upflow vortexes, such as mountains, mesas and pyramidal-type topography, are useful when one wishes to view life from a higher plane, to develop a more universal perspective or to send a prayer or affirmation out into the world. According to Sanders, upflow vortex sites make people feel positive, exhilarated and rejuvenated. "They literally unwind you and help you tap that universal oneness and harmony," he says. Bell Rock is an example of an upflow vortex. Inflow vortexes, such as valleys, canyons and caves, are good for introspection and spiritual problem solving. "If you want to understand and/or heal something from your past or go inward for past-life memory, those skills will be enhanced in an inflow vortex," says Sanders. Boynton Canyon is an example of an inflow vortex. According to Sanders, most of Sedona (excluding cliffs and mesas) is a huge inflow area because it lies in a valley cut by Oak Creek.

norman
16th April 2014, 21:28
I used to know a 'healer' called Mark McFeely. Last I knew, he's living in Sedona.

I wonder if you met him there in the last 12 days?

Blacklight43
16th April 2014, 23:16
I'll tell you about my experience while hiking in Boynton Canyon with with my son a number of years ago. We were about 2 hours in when he spotted some caves up on the canyon wall and wanted to climb up and explore. I, being an old lady, decided that was too much adventure for me and stayed on the trail while he went to explore. While I was alone I had a very strange thing occur. I heard this distinctive male voice in my head that said "the eyes are watching you".

When we got back to town and was visiting a book store I mentioned that occurrence to the clerk and she told me that is the most reported thing from the canyon.

I have been back to Sedona several times. Just last May being the last with my daughter this time. No strangeness this time. I just love the vibe af that place!

ronin
16th April 2014, 23:33
I'll tell you about my experience while hiking in Boynton Canyon with with my son a number of years ago. We were about 2 hours in when he spotted some caves up on the canyon wall and wanted to climb up and explore. I, being an old lady, decided that was too much adventure for me and stayed on the trail while he went to explore. While I was alone I had a very strange thing occur. I heard this distinctive male voice in my head that said "the eyes are watching you".

When we got back to town and was visiting a book store I mentioned that occurrence to the clerk and she told me that is the most reported thing from the canyon.

I have been back to Sedona several times. Just last May being the last with my daughter this time. No strangeness this time. I just love the vibe af that place!

hmmm over the last 12 month or so i so have had the feeling of being watched.not in any judgmental way i think.
then a few days ago i was in a meditation when i heard a voice in my left ear say "come on name".
as if it was trying to encourage me.
the dreams,the synchronicity,s all have meaning to them that we find difficult to interprete as we have been told not to take notice of them.
maybe it is time we do take notice.

Chickadee
17th April 2014, 01:55
I LOVE Sedona!!!

We went there two years ago from Easter. My inlaws had been there before and we're spending a month there so we had all the must sees picked put for us.

It was climbing Bell Rock I actually saw saw a vortex.. It was swirling upward. It was actually right above a drop off and I went to stick my hand in it when my husband grabbed my attention. I couldn't catch it again ( although they say all of Sedona is vortex ) I almost found myself getting angry withy husband for distracting me, but I caught my self thinking that would be nothing more than silly.

Cathedral Rock was a great Hike. And the creek with all the stones atop one another.. We spent hours paying. Truly remarkable! I think that red rock is truly just mesmorizing.

BabaRa
17th April 2014, 06:25
I used to know a 'healer' called Mark McFeely. Last I knew, he's living in Sedona.

I wonder if you met him there in the last 12 days?

Sorry, didn't meet a healer called Mark McFeely.

But keep in mind, Sedona has more healers, body workers, psychics, astrologers, etc., per square foot than any other place I've visited.

I've been going every year for about 15 years, as that's where my brother, who is a snowbird, winters - and it's closer for me to meet up with him there than in Michigan.

BabaRa
17th April 2014, 06:43

Interesting story, thanks for sharing. Hmm, wonder if it's a Native American who is still watching over his sacred territory.

I normally love the vibe there as well, but this year I found it unsettling. I couldn't wait to get home to my peaceful environment. Although, I did meet some interesting people while there. A Japanese middle-age woman who came for a healing, a young (30ish) girl from Poland who claimed to be a healer. She was very unusual looking, rather unworldly, yet mixed with Irish pixie. And a Indian family (from Mumbai) who had a story about getting lost on the trail around Courthouse Butte ( where I had been the previous day) and it was night before they found their way out by the light of the full moon.

Chickadee
I LOVE Sedona!!!

We went there two years ago from Easter. My inlaws had been there before and we're spending a month there so we had all the must sees picked put for us.

It was climbing Bell Rock I actually saw saw a vortex.. It was swirling upward. It was actually right above a drop off and I went to stick my hand in it when my husband grabbed my attention. I couldn't catch it again ( although they say all of Sedona is vortex ) I almost found myself getting angry withy husband for distracting me, but I caught my self thinking that would be nothing more than silly.

Cathedral Rock was a great Hike. And the creek with all the stones atop one another.. We spent hours paying. Truly remarkable! I think that red rock is truly just mesmorizing.

Many people claim to have seen a vortex on Bell Rock. My brother actually captured a picture of a cloud that really looked like one some years back.

Cathedral Rock has always been my favorite hike; I always call it Camelot.

3 years ago I decided to meditate on the wide ledge about 1/3 of the way up in a medicine wheel someone had made of rocks. I felt as if I had levitated a short distance off the ground - I was standing up. My brother had taken a picture of me without my knowledge (I had my eyes closed). Later, when he downloaded them on the computer, he said: Hey look Barb, it looks as if you're levitating. . . . I didn't tell him that I was, he's not into anything that you can't prove scientifically. Calls me his woo - woo sister.

Chickadee
17th April 2014, 15:01
BabaRa - perhaps you felt unsettled because of the grouping and actions of some worshippers of evil. A site like Sedona not only attracts light workers but those not so light workers. You were probably very sensitive to the energy.

A lot going on, especially with that big ole blood moon... (I know you know)

I'm happy to hear you returned safely from your travels to your home sweet home.

Spiral
17th April 2014, 18:35
I just had to go look up what these things looked like.................

Pretty awesome is what they look like !

Bell Rock;

http://www.myworldshots.com/p1/m/USA/Arizona/Sedona/Sedona-Bell-Rock-11449.jpg

Good one for scale

http://www.m1key.me/photography/arizona_2010/arizona_bellrock.jpg

Cathedral Rock

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/81218100.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/34724240.jpg

norman
17th April 2014, 18:49
I rode a bus either through or very near Sedona in August 1989 on the way from Scottsdale to see the grand canyon. We didn't stop there. We stopped at Flagstaff, not as nice.

I loved the desert landscape around there. It amazes me that the height above sea level there, even on the flat bottoms, is higher than any peak in Britain. My trip to the area was mind blowing. The scale of everything there is vast. Even the bugs are 10 times bigger than the bugs around here.

Chickadee
17th April 2014, 18:56
I just had to go look up what these things looked like.................

Pretty awesome is what they look like !

Bell Rock;

http://www.myworldshots.com/p1/m/USA/Arizona/Sedona/Sedona-Bell-Rock-11449.jpg

Good one for scale

http://www.m1key.me/photography/arizona_2010/arizona_bellrock.jpg

Cathedral Rock

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/81218100.jpg

http://static.panoramio.com/photos/large/34724240.jpg

Breathtaking, is it not? :)

The Native ruins in the area are pretty amazing as well. It's really interesting how the ancients irrigated the land to grow their crops. Savage they say--- "they" are so wrong.. It was all very advanced, in my opinion.

lookbeyond
18th April 2014, 02:16
Thanks for the pics!

BabaRa
18th April 2014, 02:33
Can you believe I've climbed to the top of Cathedral Rock, also Bell Rock, except for the last 50 feet - you need ropes to do that. Not this year, but up til 4 years ago. This year I only went about half way up Bell Rock. It's not as difficult as it looks.+

Sedona also has one of the highest concentrations of UFO sightings in the United States. Some say the aliens are attracted to the magnetism in the red-rock spires. Many of these sighting have been near the four major vortex areas—with over fifty at Bell Rock alone.

Here's just one of the many videos out there.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dUMxe2xOPds

Tonz
18th April 2014, 03:43
Calls me his woo - woo sister.

love it.

ronin
18th April 2014, 22:57
they have actually made a movie concerning Sedona.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1516577/

i,m sure there is another one where a woman finds herself somewhere in the mountains.
the name escapes me.sorry.

ronin
18th April 2014, 22:58
Breathtaking, is it not? :)

The Native ruins in the area are pretty amazing as well. It's really interesting how the ancients irrigated the land to grow their crops. Savage they say--- "they" are so wrong.. It was all very advanced, in my opinion.

great pictures,thank you.
what a marvel to behold.

Liberty
21st April 2014, 12:16
Hello Friends,

I would like to respond to this thread because I had a whole different experience when I went to Sedona while I had my home for sale with everything in it...a turnkey operation and I was going to live in a spiritual community. I had talked with the managers and had a place to stay for 2 weeks...I was happy because I wanted to leave winter behind me and felt I could live on the resources from my home and social security....I was brave enough to want to go alone even though I had MS.

Online friends in Santa Fe invited me to stop there for a week and check it out there too...Astrologically Saturn was almost on my moon but I felt brave and felt I had to risk to change my life (just like I am thinking now, lol). Anyway, I loved Santa Fe but Sedona was a whole different story..I felt confined with all the red rocks surrounding me. The spiritual community was devoid of several members due to deaths or other family concerns that had to be dealt with. The ones there were of a serious nature and I just felt so alone and abandoned...when I explored the area a bit I did not get good vibrations at all and wanted to leave ASAP. I was told by a reader that the vibrations were not good for my particular needs and that made me feel so good. I returned to Santa Fe for another 6 weeks and got stuck out there as my legs would not work, but that is another story.

I just did not have a good vibration with Sedona at all and I wanted to because of all I had heard of the vortexes and all plus wanting to be in this spiritual community. I would not mind living in Santa Fe for 6 months of the year however and my guests took me up a mountain that had skiing in the winter. I volunteered at the Salvation Army there and my boss and I went outside each morning to see the sunrise. I had good feelings there and my astrologer friend who did Cartography told me that my sun line ran through Santa Fe and that I never got support on the east coast but that I would there, which is why I felt so good...

I am not knocking Sedona for sure but just sharing its less than positive effect on me. I am not disputing any of the healing vibrations and stories that people have had there....It just is not the place for me. Even the pictures remind me of the feeling of being suffocated and being enclosed and I don 't know what that is all about..Maybe a past life that did not end well, lol.

I enjoy this forum and I hope my post does not offend anyone... I would hate to be bringing negative energies here as that is not my intent.

Hugs to All,

Today:group hug::cloud:

Tonz
21st April 2014, 12:49
thanks for sharing Today,i remember when i fist landed in Europe , i hated it ,the vib was so out of wack for me , It took me 3 mounths to settle down and a further year to fall in love with it, now the same is happening now back in my own country its been 7 mounths and only now im starting to feel why i am here.

BabaRa
21st April 2014, 18:06
I just did not have a good vibration with Sedona at all and I wanted to because of all I had heard of the vortexes and all plus wanting to be in this spiritual community. I would not mind living in Santa Fe for 6 months of the year however and my guests took me up a mountain that had skiing in the winter. I volunteered at the Salvation Army there and my boss and I went outside each morning to see the sunrise. I had good feelings there and my astrologer friend who did Cartography told me that my sun line ran through Santa Fe and that I never got support on the east coast but that I would there, which is why I felt so good...

I am not knocking Sedona for sure but just sharing its less than positive effect on me. I am not disputing any of the healing vibrations and stories that people have had there....It just is not the place for me. Even the pictures remind me of the feeling of being suffocated and being enclosed and I don 't know what that is all about..Maybe a past life that did not end well, lol.

I enjoy this forum and I hope my post does not offend anyone... I would hate to be bringing negative energies here as that is not my intent.

Hugs to All,

Today:group hug::cloud:

Today, Thanks for sharing your story, and don't be concerned, I don't think anyone here would take offense by your post. It is your truth and your story.

I have gone to Sedona probably 12 times in the last 15 years - and each time it is different for me. (Note: I wouldn't keep going there if it weren't to visit my brother. Not because I don't like it, but I prefer to go to different places, rather than repeat pattern)

Each time I've visited Sedona, I've felt the high energy. I wouldn't describe it as healing, but rather just high energy, that depending on what you do with it and where you are personally could be a different experience. This year it made me feel very scattered, and I had to keep working at grounding myself. Was it the energy there or me?

In any case, I've always felt that we all resonate with different places.

And that's a good thing, otherwise, we would probably all want to live on the same piece of land.

I have friends who love the ocean. While I like to go to the ocean for a time, I find the churning waves and wind to eventually to be chaotic for me.

I prefer a quiet lake in the woods. All Good.

Liberty
22nd April 2014, 17:18
Thanks Babara for your response. I, too, feel there is a place and energy for everyone that is healing and positive for them. I always loved the ocean and still do but I don't mind leaving for 300 days of sunshine, beautiful mountains and lakes nearby. Never thought I would say this or want to move but it just goes to show me that energy changes and if a person is attuned, they will really feel it and want to make the changes.

I was in Barnes & Noble this morning browsing, or so I thought, and there was Jane Robert's Seth book that I used to own many years ago and had to leave behind. I opened it to chapter 5 which talks about feeling the energy of change and imagery and how this will eventually end up manifesting in the world. The details will handle themselves. I do not think it was an accident as I woke up this morning not wanting to face the day!

Has anyone here felt the strong urge or need to relocate?? Did you follow through? Tonton, I thank you for sharing how you felt about your move. It seems you needed time to settle in and felt resistance initially. Anyway, I am happy now and back to a positive attitude, lol.

Wishing everyone peace,
Today:cloud: