PDA

View Full Version : Alert Russian Coast Guards have illegally taken over ship Arctic Sunrise.

Ria
20th September 2013, 09:48
At least 15 armed Russian Coast Guards have just illegally boarded and taken over our ship the Arctic Sunrise.

They immediately seized every crew member except three people who locked themselves inside the radio room as the guards tried to break in. We had a satellite phone link to them and they were speaking to international media, trying to stay there for as long as they could.

As far as we know, everyone else is being held under armed guard.

https://secure.greenpeace.org.uk/page/speakout/release-peaceful-protesters?source=em&subsource=sunrise01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=gpeace&utm_c

Please send an urgent email to the Russian Ambassador in London and demand the Russian Coast Guard release our crew immediately.

The ship had been part of a peaceful protest against energy giant Gazprom which is poised to drill for the first oil to come out of the icy waters of the Arctic.Yesterday there were guns pointed at the protesters, shots fired and two other crew members were arrested as they protested Gazprom's Arctic drilling.

The Arctic Sunrise was circling Gazprom’s Prirazlomnaya platform inside international waters and outside the jurisdiction of Russian authorities, making the boarding of the ship unlawful.

Your support - right now - will make a difference to how these protesters are treated, with the eyes of the world on them they won’t be able to act with impunity. They are taking incredible risks and you can stand up for them.

https://secure.greenpeace.org.uk/page/speakout/release-peaceful-protesters?source=em&subsource=sunrise01&utm_medium=email&utm_source=gpeace&utm_content=2+-+Your+support++right+now++will+make+a+dif&utm_campaign=sunrise01

I'll let you know as soon as I hear more.

Ian

20th September 2013, 09:53
This on BBC:

The BBC's Steve Rosenberg says Interfax is reporting that the ship will be brought in to Murmansk by coastguards
Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Greenpeace assails Arctic oil rig
Arctic mission to protect Russian wildlife
Arctic oil spill plan 'useless'

Greenpeace says 30 activists, including six Britons, are being held at gunpoint by Russian security officers who stormed the group's ship in the Arctic.

One of the activists told the BBC that about 15 men in balaclavas seized the Arctic Sunrise ship in the Barents Sea.

This comes a day after four Greenpeace members tried to board a Russian oil platform to prevent it from drilling.

The group says this threatens a unique and fragile environment - a claim denied by Moscow.

Speaking to the BBC on Thursday, one activist on the ship said Greenpeace members were being held in the galley of the Arctic Sunrise, while the captain was being detained on the bridge.

The activist said he believed the armed men were members of Russia's internal security service, the FSB.

An armed coastguard points a gun at an activist aboard a Greenpeace boat
A Russian coastguard ship fired shots across a Greenpeace ship
Greenpeace also said its vessel was boarded in international waters and called on Russian President Vladimir Putin to release the crew immediately.

The ship is now expected to be taken to the Russian port of Murmansk.

The Russian foreign ministry earlier accused the group of "aggressive and provocative" behaviour.

It said the actions of the activists who had tried to board Gazprom's Prirazlomnaya drilling rig on Wednesday "threatened people's lives and could lead to environmental catastrophe in the Arctic with unpredictable consequences".

Moscow also said that its coastguard vessel had to fire warning shots across the Dutch-flagged Arctic Sunrise.

The Dutch ambassador to Moscow was summoned to the foreign ministry over Greenpeace's action.

A foreign ministry spokesman in The Hague later told Dutch media the issue had "our full attention" and that contacts with the Russian authorities would be pursued over what had happened.

The Gazprom project is Russia's first effort to extract oil from the Barents Sea.

Prirazlomnaya is scheduled to begin production by the end of the year. Russia's economy and its recent growth depends to a large extent on income from its huge oil and gas deposits.

Altaira
20th September 2013, 10:17
MMM Why all the mainstream media trumpets this I am wondering/ And sorry people but I kind of don't think Greenpeace are so green or peaceful, they might have done something not so nice.

This comes a day after four Greenpeace members tried to board a Russian oil platform to prevent it from drilling.

The group says this threatens a unique and fragile environment - a claim denied by Moscow. Why they don't start doing more important thing such as protesting against chemtrails and HAARP, instead of trying to sabotage an oil platform? Where are they when the UK government decides to drill in the UK. Isn't it another probably a lot bigger problem? These are just questions based on my limited knowledge but I think they are relevant.

20th September 2013, 10:34
I used to be a member of Greenpeace Rayna and I left once I'd scratched a little bit beneath the surface. The activists/active members do not know the monster they are part of and that the missions they get sent on are contrived in a problem-reaction-solution manner (I wonder if this is why David Icke left too.....). There will be far more to this than meets the eye, especially (as you quite rightly point out) given the MSM hype. I think it's particularly notable that there are brits being held by Russians during a time when the two nations are posturing reactively and proactively over Syria.

As always Greenpeace is the ever-so-obvious vehicle. Shame the guys on the ground don't wake up to that.