PDA

View Full Version : The Vegetarian Cooking thread

Altaira
20th September 2013, 08:42
It was a good idea to have a cooking thread for vegetarians.

I am vegetarian myself so I feel I can contribute here a bit.

20th September 2013, 09:07
Thanks Rayna!

Wonky Pasta (Jamie Oliver)
2 egg yolks

125 g (1 1/4 cups) freshly grated parmesan cheese, plus extra for serving (can use pre-grated but works better with fresh)

3 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil

zest and juice from 2 lemons

a small bunch of fresh basil

500 g / 1 lb of wide noodle pasta (fettechini - wide egg noodles)

Method:

Heat water in large pot and cook pasta according to package recommendations and add a good pinch of salt

While pasta and cooking prepare the egg/cheese mixture. Carefully separate 2 eggs and put the yolks in a large pasta serving bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil and a good pinch of salt and pepper. Add the grated parmesan cheese along with lemon zest and juice.

Now take your small bunch of basil. Reserve some of the small leaves for later, but split the rest of your basil into 2 halves. Pound one half in a pestle and mortar until you have a green paste, and roughly chop the other half.

Add both green paste and chopped basil into the bowl. Stir until everything is mixed together, then season with salt and pepper.

When pasta is cooked, use tongs to move it from the pot into the egg mixture. If this is too tricky, go ahead and drain the pasta but save the water. Toss the pasta and add cooking water into the mixture until you achieve the silky level you want (usually about 2-3 tablespoons). Have a quick taste to see if it needs more salt and pepper or parmesan to balance the lemon juice. Sprinkle with the reserved basil leaves and eat right away.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-SzQAgnuNea4/Th8sWoFSGnI/AAAAAAAADJg/6eYZbn5xqvs/s320/IMG_5021.JPG

dianna
22nd September 2013, 20:04
I watch "come dine with me" one of the few television shows I will watch -- I have to say that the Canadian version is not nearly as interesting as the British version, which they no longer show on the stations here --- too bad -- I really miss it

Spiral
23rd September 2013, 07:58
Moules Frites.

For Two.

Ingredients;

Chipping spuds / potatoes suitable for making fries (you know how many you need, and another for luck ! )

2 kg (or more) fresh mussels

Big bunch of fresh parsley

Couple of medium onions, or 4-5 shallots if you prefer.

1 bottle of Sauvignon blanc (or Chardonnay at a push).

Olive oil

Black pepper

Paprika

& you will need a very big pan or stockpot with a lid.

Oven Chips / Fries

Scrub & cut out the eyes of the potatoes, cut into chunky chips / fries (about 1cm square) leaving the skin on.

Put them in a plastic (freezer) bag with a few glugs of olive oil & a sprinkling of paprika, and shake them until they are all evenly coated.

Put on a baking tray & cook for 25 mins at 225°c (Depending on your oven, mine isn't as hot as it claims to be) (probably when you have cleaned at least 2/3 rds of the mussels or you will catch yourself out)

Mussels

They usually require cleaning, use a short stout knife & a nail or veg brush, pull out the “string” on each one & scrape off any other shellfish etc, under running cold water.

If any are broken, discard them, likewise if they are open & don't close after giving them a sharp tap with the knife discard them.

This takes me about 45 mins for 2 kg but it's well worth it.

Finely chop the onions or shallots, rinse & chop the parsley, but keep the stalks separate from the leaves.

Fry the onions / shallots in a suitably large pan or stockpot, (I find shallots too sweet & cost a lot more than onions) in olive oil (or butter if you prefer) until clear, then add the whole bottle of wine & the parsley stalks & bring to the boil.

Add the mussels, the parsley & copious ground black pepper (its easier to grind it onto the chopped parsley beforehand)

Cook on a very high heat for about 5-6 minutes stirring every minute or so to rotate them from top to bottom, leaving the lid on between stirs.

(when they are cooked they open up and firm up, don't eat any that haven't opened)

Serve the chips on a side plate to avoid sogginess, put the pan of mussels on the table & stir now & again as you eat to keep them soaked in the wine & parsley.

Its handy to have a big bowl for the shells, & crusty bread goes well with it too.

Sooz
23rd September 2013, 08:07
Sounds disgustingly decadent...

I will have to try it...

Chickadee
26th September 2013, 18:10
And something decedent and sweet, creamy and raw

Gypsy Love Shake:

2 teaspoons of Sacred Lotus Pollen
2 teaspoons bee pollen (if new had bee pollen start with only 2-3 granuls and work up)
1 cup of milk
1 lil shot of vanilla

And mix in blender

Sacred lotus pollen opens the heart chakra and calms the nerves.

Remember to use organic!!

Bee pollen and Sacred lotus pollen are both a whole food.

Enjoy :)

26th September 2013, 18:57
Some wonderful input on here guys. SW I really must try that, I can taste it already mmmmmmm!

Dianna, we have that program in common, it is the only one I watch too! Dave Lamb the British host makes the show over here. I've watched some Ozzy ones and the cooking is top knotch, but no where near as amusing!

Altaira
5th February 2015, 19:32
I am putting a few recipes here as I already promised.

This one is my favorite

Chilli Chard Rice with Buttered Cashews

Ingredients

1 mug white basmati rice
Olive oil
Sea salt
1 onion, thinly sliced
4-6 large handfuls of spinach or chard
3 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
1 small red chilli, finely chopped (to taste – remove seeds for less heat)
1 lemon
Freshly ground pepper
2 tbsp butter
2 large handfuls of cashew nuts
It'll take

10 mins (prep) | 20 mins (cooking)
It'll feed

4 people
A little intro

This dish is also delicious with brown basmati rice but if you want to get it on the table fast, go with white rice. It makes a super vegetarian main.
Step by step

1. Lightly toast your rice in a large lidded pan, just till fragrant. Add a pinch of salt and a glug of olive oil. Stir through.
2. Pour 2 mugs of water over the toasty rice. Let it sizzle up. Pop a lid on. Turn the heat down. Let it cook for 10 mins.
3. While it cooks, sizzle your onion in a separate frying pan, with a little olive oil and a pinch of salt.
4. Once the onions are melting tender, add the garlic and chilli. Let it soften. Fold in the chard or spinach. Add a good squeeze of lemon. Season well.
5. Let the rice steam for 5 mins once the 10 min cooking time is up. Once it’s fluffy and all the water’s gone, tumble into a dish. Pile the chard or spinach on top. Gently fold through. 6. Wipe one of your pans clean. Melt the butter till it starts to froth up. Add the cashews and a pinch of salt. Toast over lowish heat till golden. Scatter over the rice mix. Drizzle any excess butter over the top. 7. Finish with grated lemon zest and a bit of extra chilli, if you like.

This bean soup is considered as traditional Bulgarian meal and favorite to everyone in Bulgaria.

http://retseptik.net/uploads/recipe/zakuski/recept-bob-chorba_7893.jpg

Due to its simplicity and deliciousness, it is probably the single most popular and common dish in Bulgarian cuisine. The Bob Chorba (or Bean soup), has served for centuries as main food, especially in rural regions. The popularity of the bean soup is due to the many varieties of beans available in Bulgaria, as well as the nutritional value of the dish, which is eaten as a main course in the common case.Bob Chorba - ingredients
Here we try to stick to the original recipe of Bob Chorba, but there can be dozens of variations. It’s cooked in a large earthenware pot, but if you don’t have one, that should not put you off, just use an ordinary large saucepan.

Preparation and cooking time: 2 hours

Serves: 6

Ingredients:

200 g beans (I use butter beans)
1.5 liters water
2 carrots
1-2 bell peppers, sliced
2 tomatoes, grated or pureed
2 onions, finely chopped
1 chili pepper (optional)
4-5 sprigs of fresh mint (use dried if you don’t have fresh)
2 tbsp sunflower oil
1 tsp paprika
2 tbs flour
Salt to taste

http://sharemykitchen.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/Bob-Chorba-products-ok.jpg
Preparation:

Soak the beans in the water overnight. Next morning drain off the water, add same amount and bring to boil. If you don’t want to wait one day to get this done, you can simply boil the beans for an hour, then discard the water, add water again and bring to a boil again.Bob Chorba-Bulgarian bean soup
Simmer gently for about an hour or until the beans soften. In earthenware pot (you can use a normal stainless steel) sauté onion and carrot with oil for 5-10 min. Add the flour stirr for about two to three min and then add the peppers and paprika, cook for 1 more min, then add the beans and water. Add the tomatoes and mint sprigs to the soup and season with salt. Leave the soup to simmer on a low heat for about 20 minutes.

Also sometimes depending on the been they need longer cooking time and you might need to add more hot water to make sure its not too thick.

Altaira
6th February 2015, 08:10
Something sweet i came across and it seems delicious.

CHOCOLATE, COCONUT, MACADAMIA NUT TART RECIPE (GLUTEN-FREE, PALEO, VEGAN)
Prep Time: 30 minutes

Cook Time: 20 minutes

Serving Size: Serves 6-8

Chocolate, Coconut, Macadamia Nut Tart Recipe (Gluten-Free, Paleo, Vegan)

This chocolate coconut tart is dense, silky, utterly simple and guaranteed to fulfill your chocolate cravings.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/236x/17/64/5b/17645b8d43164e559e07081f181dc54e.jpg

Ingredients

For the Crust
½ cup/40g unsweetened shredded coconut
1 ½ cups/190g almond flour
2 Tablespoons/ 30g coconut oil
¼ tsp salt
2 Tablespoons/30 g Maple Syrup
For the Coconut Milk Ganache
1 cup/ 240ml full fat coconut milk
12 oz/280g bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
For the Topping
1/2 cup/40g unsweetened coconut flakes
½ cup/68g raw macadamia nuts, coarsely chopped
A pinch of sea salt
Instructions

Make Tart Shell:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a food processor, pulse together almond flour, salt and shredded coconut until finely ground. Melt together coconut oil and maple syrup and add to almond flour and coconut mixture, pulse until coarse crumbs form (dough should clump together when squeezed with fingers).
Transfer dough to a greased 9-inch tart pan with a removable bottom. Using a measuring cup or your fingers, evenly press dough in bottom and up sides of pan.
Bake in center of oven until golden and firm, about 15- 20 minutes. Transfer to a wire rack to cool completely, at least 1 hour.
Make Topping:
Spread the chopped macadamia nuts and shredded coconut evenly over a sheet pan and bake until lightly golden (about 3-5 minutes). Set aside.
Make Ganache:
Place chopped chocolate in a large mixing bowl. In a small saucepan, bring coconut milk to a boil. Pour hot coconut milk over chocolate and let stand 1 minute, then stir until smooth and creamy. Mix in vanilla extract.
Assemble Tart:
Pour chocolate into cooled tart shell. Lightly sprinkle toasted macadamia nuts and toasted coconut across the top. Sprinkle with a pinch of flaky sea salt if desired. Chill for at least one hour or until set and serve.

http://gourmandeinthekitchen.com/2013/chocolate-coconut-macadamia-tart-recipe/

john parslow
6th February 2015, 15:00
ONION BHAJIS

150 grams Gram Flour
4 tsp of Cumin Seeds
2 tsp of Ground Coriander
2 tsp of Turmeric
1 tsp of Salt
1 tsp of Mixed Spice
8 tbsp of Water
200 grams of Onion quartered and sliced
50 grams of Potato grated
Cooking Oil as required.

1. Mix the flour and spices together dry.
2. Add the water to make a smooth paste.
3. Add Onion and Potato – mix well.
4. Heat oil in heavy frying pan or Wok, using two desert spoons, ball the mixture and gently drop into the hot oil.
5. Cook until golden brown on all sides.
6. Remove from fat and drain onto kitchen towel.
Note: Can be made in advance and mixture covered and left in fridge.

Enjoy folks ... :whstl:

john parslow
6th February 2015, 15:01
ROASTED RED PEPPERS STUFFED WITH FENNEL
SERVES 4 – 6

4 large red peppers
2 small bulbs fennel
8 dessertspoons Olive Oil
14 oz (400g) tin italian plum tomatoes
1 rounded teaspoon mixed pepper berries (you can ignore this)
¾ teaspoon whole coriander seeds
½ teaspoon fennel seeds
juice ½ lemon
finely chopped spring onion to garnish (optional)
Cornish sea salt

Begin by slicing each pepper in half lengthways, cutting right through the green stalk end and leaving it intact; though it won’t be eaten it adds much to the look of the thing. Remove all the seeds. Now place the pepper halves on the baking sheet, then drain the tomatoes (you don’t need the juice), and divide them into eight equal portions, placing each portion inside a pepper half.

Next, pare off the brownish bits of fennel with a sharp knife and cut the bulbs first into quarters then again into eighths, carefully keeping the layers attached to the root ends. Now put them in a saucepan with a little salt, pour boiling water over them and blanche them for 5 minutes. Then drain them in a colander, as soon as they’re cool enough to handle, arrange two slices in each pepper half. Sprinkle 1 dessertspoon olive oil over each one, using a brush to spread around the edges and sides of the peppers.

Next lightly crush the pepper berries (I used ground black pepper), coriander and fennel seeds with a pestle and mortar, sprinkle these evenly all over the fennel and peppers and finish off with a grinding of sea salt.

Bake the peppers for approximately 1 hour on a high shelf in the oven until they are soft and the skin wrinkled and nicely tinged with brown. After removing them from the oven, sprinkle the lemon juice all over, cool and serve. Eat and enjoy with a nice glass of wine. - Makes a great starter ...

Enjoy Folks. :whstl:

john parslow
6th February 2015, 15:05
Mexican Guacamole

The first time I ever used Tabasco (hot chilli sauce) was when I made my first guacamole. This spicy Mexican purée, made with fresh avocados, chillies and ripe tomatoes, is still a great favourite. Serve it as a first course with good crusty bread or as a dip with raw vegetable strips. Don't make guacamole more than three hours ahead, though, or it will discolour. Serves 4

Ingredients:

2 ripe avocados
2 large, red, ripe tomatoes
2 small cloves garlic, peeled and sliced
½ red onion, cut into quarters
2 small red chillies, halved and de-seeded
juice 2 limes
a few drops Tabasco
2 tablespoons fresh coriander leaves, to garnish
salt and freshly milled black pepper

First it's important to have ripe avocados. All you do is halve them, remove the stones, then cut them into quarters, remove the flesh from the skin and place it in the bowl of a food processor. Now, using a teaspoon, scrape away any green part of the avocado flesh that has adhered to the skin and add this, as this will help to give lots of green colour.

Now skin the tomatoes by pouring boiling water over them, then leave them for exactly 1 minute before draining and slipping off their skins (protect your hands with a cloth). Then halve them and pop them in to join the avocado, followed by the garlic, onion and chillies, and then add the lime juice, a few drops of Tabasco and some salt and pepper.

Now whiz it all to a smooth purée, pile it into a serving bowl and cover with clingfilm. Chill till you need it and serve it sprinkled with the fresh coriander leaves.
This recipe is taken from How to Cook Book Two and Delia's Vegetarian Collection.

john parslow
7th February 2015, 10:39
... and now time for my all time favourite soup:

SPRING VEGETABLE BROTH

1 tbsp olive oil
4 shallots – chopped
1 fennel bulb – chopped
1 leek – chopped
5 small carrots – chopped
2 courgettes – chopped
1 bunch asparagus – chopped
1 400g tin cannelloni beans – drained and rinsed
1 400g tin chic peas – drained and rinsed
2 pints vegetable stock
50g Parmesan shavings to serve

1. Heat the oil in a large pan. Add the shallots, fennel, leek and carrots and fry until softened.
2. Add stock, cover and bring to the boil. Add the courgettes, asparagus and beans/peas, then simmer until all vegetables are tender.
3. Put a tablespoon of Pesto into each bowl, ladle in soup and sprinkle with Parmesan.

Altaira
7th February 2015, 11:23
John this broth seems amazing winter food, thank you! I was wondering what to do with the fennel heads in my box this week.

john parslow
7th February 2015, 11:32
John this broth seems amazing winter food, thank you! I was wondering what to do with the fennel heads in my box this week.

Trust me young lady, if you don't like this delicious broth, I'll drive up there and eat your hat ... Love JP

P.S. I grow my own Fennel and the wispy fronds make a great looking and tasty garnish ... x

Altaira
9th February 2015, 09:03
Warming Minestrone Soup With Quinoa & Kale

Ingredients

1 sweet onion - medium diced
2 celery stalks - medium diced
3 carrots - medium diced
2 tablespoons olive oil - or enough to cover the bottom of the pot
2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
2 cups fresh zucchini - medium diced (about 1 medium or 2 small)
2 cups green beans - cut in 1 inch pieces
1 bell pepper - medium diced
1.75 lbs of fresh tomatoes or 1 x 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
4 cups of water
1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans
1 15-ounce can of chickpeas
1 cup quinoa
2 cups kale - stems removed
1 teaspoon turmeric (or to taste)
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional:
Garnish with parmesan to taste
Garnish with slivered basil or finely chopped rosemary

Directions:

1. Place a large stockpot over medium heat and add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.
2. Add the garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes and cook for about one minute or until garlic begins to color.
3. Add the zucchini and the green beans, season with salt and pepper, add the turmeric, stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and the water, raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
5. Lower the heat to medium/low and allow the soup to gently boil (uncovered) for about 20 minutes.
6. Add the quinoa and cover for 15 minutes.
7. Remove the cover, add the kale and the canned beans (more water if needed) bring back to a gentle boil and cook for another 5 minutes or just until the kale is tender.

Altaira
9th February 2015, 09:05
WINTER SQUASH SOUP WITH TAHINI AND ZA'ATAR CHICKPEA CROUTONS

http://foodmatters.tv/articles-1/Winter-Squash-Soup-DishingUpTheDirt2.jpg
Serves 4-6

INGREDIENTS
For the Soup:
2 Tablespoons grapeseed oil (or oil of choice)
1 large yellow onion, diced
5 cloves of garlic, minced
2 pounds red kuri squash (or winter squash of choice) peeled, seeded and cut into 1 inch cubes
1/4 teaspoon ground coriander
1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
4 cups vegetable stock
Minced parsley for serving
For the Tahini Sauce:
1 clove of garlic, minced
1/4 teaspoon fine sea salt
Pinch of black pepper
1/2 teaspoon allspice
1/4 cup tahini
3 Tablespoons fresh lemon juice
2 Tablespoons water
For the Chickpea Croutons:
1 cup cooked chickpeas (if from the can rinsed, drained and patted dry)
1 Tablespoon olive oil
2 Tablespoons za’atar (a middle eastern spice blend)
METHOD
Preheat the oven to 425F. Toss chickpeas with the olive oil and za’atar. Bake in the oven until lightly browned and crisp. About 15-20 minutes. Toss chickpeas halfway through baking.
Prepare the tahini sauce by combing all of the ingredients and mixing until smooth. This works best with an immersion blender or food processor. Taste test and adjust seasonings if need be.
Heat the oil in a large pot over medium-high heat. Add the onion and garlic and cook until fragrant. About 5 minutes. Stir in the squash and spices. Cook for about 3 more minutes. Add the broth and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for about 25 minutes.
Carefully puree the soup with an immersion blender or regular blender. Taste test and adjust seasonings if needed.
Serve the soup with a healthy drizzle of the tahini sauce, chickpea croutons, parsley and plenty of salt and pepper to taste.

http://foodmatters.tv/content/winter-squash-soup-with-tahini-and-zaatar-chickpea-croutons-recipe

Altaira
9th February 2015, 19:34
Trust me young lady, if you don't like this delicious broth, I'll drive up there and eat your hat ... Love JP

Indeed itis deliucios, I cooked it today. It is my new favourite! Thank you John! :hugs:

john parslow
9th February 2015, 20:07
Warming Minestrone Soup With Quinoa & Kale

Ingredients

1 sweet onion - medium diced
2 celery stalks - medium diced
3 carrots - medium diced
2 tablespoons olive oil - or enough to cover the bottom of the pot
2 cloves garlic - finely chopped
2 cups fresh zucchini - medium diced (about 1 medium or 2 small)
2 cups green beans - cut in 1 inch pieces
1 bell pepper - medium diced
1.75 lbs of fresh tomatoes or 1 x 28 ounces can crushed tomatoes
4 cups of water
1 15-ounce can of cannellini beans
1 15-ounce can of chickpeas
1 cup quinoa
2 cups kale - stems removed
1 teaspoon turmeric (or to taste)
Pinch of red pepper flakes
Salt and pepper to taste

Optional:
Garnish with parmesan to taste
Garnish with slivered basil or finely chopped rosemary

Directions:

1. Place a large stockpot over medium heat and add the onions, carrots and celery. Cook for about 5 minutes or until softened.
2. Add the garlic and a pinch of red pepper flakes and cook for about one minute or until garlic begins to color.
3. Add the zucchini and the green beans, season with salt and pepper, add the turmeric, stir and cook for about 3 minutes.
4. Add the tomatoes and the water, raise heat to high and bring to a boil.
5. Lower the heat to medium/low and allow the soup to gently boil (uncovered) for about 20 minutes.
6. Add the quinoa and cover for 15 minutes.
7. Remove the cover, add the kale and the canned beans (more water if needed) bring back to a gentle boil and cook for another 5 minutes or just until the kale is tender.

This looks very tasty Altaira, do you mind if I ask what Quinoa is? ... x :whstl:

Altaira
9th February 2015, 20:27
Hi John, it is a type of grain I think Peruvian, one of the most nutritious grains.. Here some info http://thestonesoup.com/blog/2010/06/12-things-you-should-know-about-quinoa/

Altaira
16th February 2015, 17:18
Mushroom Stroganoff with Herb Crumb Topping

Serves: 4–6
Time to prepare: 25 mins
Time to cook: 35 mins

Ingredients

675g/1½ lb potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
150ml/¼ pint full fat milk
15ml/1 tbsp fresh herbs of your choice i.e. parsley, sage, thyme etc
15g/½ oz butter
450g/1 lb assorted mushrooms, roughly chopped
2 cloves garlic, crushed
150ml/¼ pint double cream
Seasoning to taste
25g/1oz butter
50g/2oz fresh white breadcrumbs
30ml/2 tbsp fresh parsley
Instructions

Boil or steam the potatoes until soft.
Meanwhile, make the filling: melt the butter in a frying pan, add the mushrooms and garlic and cook gently for 5 minutes. Stir in the cream and season to taste. Keep on a gentle heat and cover with lid or foil.
To make the topping, melt the butter in a frying pan and stir in the breadcrumbs, herbs and seasoning. Stir continuously for 5 minutes until breadcrumbs are golden brown.
When the potatoes are cooked, drain and return to the pan. Heat the milk, pour over the potatoes and mash well. Season to taste and stir in the herbs of your choice.
Serve individually by placing equal mounds of mash on each plate, spoon the mushroom stroganoff sauce over the top and finish by sprinkling over the golden herbed breadcrumbs.

Altaira
28th February 2015, 22:32
Some beautiful additions for your salad. i tried the nasturtiums and they taste delicious just like radishes.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xap1/t31.0-8/10835454_816423278438491_4347168303547373238_o.jpg

Seikou-Kishi
28th February 2015, 22:38
Elderberries are delicious. They don't smell too nice though. Elderberries make for tasty jam and they have potent antiviral activity so it's good for the winter.

Altaira
1st March 2015, 00:33
Elderberries are delicious. They don't smell too nice though. Elderberries make for tasty jam and they have potent antiviral activity so it's good for the winter.

Ohh Seiko you tell me how they smell lol. I made syrup from the elderberries a few months ago, the whole house stunk. We couldn't bear the stench of dirty socks. However the syrup has amazing properties, you are absolutely right. We used it through out the flu season and no one at home was ill this winter.